Our Dying Lies

@tombomb

New Metal Member
Nov 20, 2009
Soon I'm going to record a hardcore band called "Our Dying Lies" and they want a sound similar to We Came As Romans. I recently bought a couple of their songs on iTunes and they sound pretty good. I believe the producer is on this forum. I know it was the same guy that did that crabcore band Attack Attack! (no offence to the producer) But I got a good tone with some heavy strings, I am wondering would lighter strings change the tone closer or further away from my intended tone? There are some chords that don't feel right to me, but it may be my inexperienced ears.

Here's an example, It doesn't sound much like WCAR (and a bit messy :zombie: since I recorded it on the fly) but It's just my tone test for the night :headbang:.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2649123/WCARtest.mp3

BTW I use podfarm, a diamondplate amp with Treadplate cab and a 67 condenser mic. And the tube screamer with 0 Drive 30 gain and 75 tone. Then for the diamondplate about 85 drive, 60 bass, 90 mid, 80 treble, 100 pres
Thanks.

Hard to say. There's a lot more going on in Joey's mixes than just PodFarm on the guits.
For 1 they're double tracked, and heavily quantized.

IIRC Joey said the mix settings were nearly identical to The Devil Wears Prada's album he did right before.

Yeah, this morning I've read that harmonic exciter would help, and that for the TDWP the mix was mostly guitar pan left and guitar pan right but I forgot how he did the choruses lol. But whatever I think I'll just record the band with what type of tone I think they should have. Besides if they are so worried about having that tone I think they can carve out more money to go to Joey. I've got enough bands on my waiting list ;)

those kind of productions i think sound soo cool! ive always wanted to know how to get those huge sounding mixes like he does with we came as romans!