Our rehearsal room + live video.

decadawn

Aug 31, 2001
www.decadawn.com
Hey guys,

I've been setting up our rehearsal room over the last months and I'm quite happy with it so far. I'm tracking everything I can and so far we're satisfied with the results..

Any suggestion on the sound? I'm struggling to get a good balance between the guitars and bass..

Guitars JD48 > Fireface 400 > Lepou LE456 > Kefir using one of the Sperimental impulses.. (I don't like the guitar sound much...)

Bass SafeSound P1 > Fireface 400 > Amplitube's AmpegSVT ampsim

I still need to work on the overheads (btw, on that video, someone stepped on a cable and the overhead mic moved.. we only noticed a couple of songs after... )

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it sounds great. Guitars are just fine IMO, I like the warmer, looser sound. The only thing I don't care for is the snare, I think for the overall vibe it doesn't fit.

My personal opinion on this, but, I think the overall sound would be so much better if the mix took on a more pop-rock mix approach rather than a metal one, as the music has panty-droppin' potential, it just needs more "vibe".

Also, is it just me or am I hearing a mix between Trivium/BFMV and Tool influences in there? Great song BTW.

Tracking everything live simultaneously? If so, sounds pretty clean and info on drums?

Thanks!

Drums:

sm57 on snare + aptrigga using Andy's snare 07
PG56 on toms
cheap AKG mic for overhead,
kick, aptrigga again using TrialsKickHard01.wav that I found in here I think..
Remo emperor heads on the toms..

and a bit of ToonTrack EZMix here and there

I think it sounds great. Guitars are just fine IMO, I like the warmer, looser sound. The only thing I don't care for is the snare, I think for the overall vibe it doesn't fit.

My personal opinion on this, but, I think the overall sound would be so much better if the mix took on a more pop-rock mix approach rather than a metal one, as the music has panty-droppin' potential, it just needs more "vibe".

Also, is it just me or am I hearing a mix between Trivium/BFMV and Tool influences in there? Great song BTW.

Hey thanks for the comments!

Actually I've always been a big fan of swedith deah metal bands such as Dark Tranquillity, The Duskfall, Opeth, In Flames, etc.. but yeah that song has a different vibe than our other songs..

For the snare sound, you'd rather hear a dryer sound, no sound replacement? The hihat bleeds a lot in the snare's sm57.. that's why I used apTrigga a bit to clean it up.. we'll move the mic next week..

:headbang:

It's too ringy/trashy and dry compared to the rest of the mix. I would go for a more polished cracky reverby rock snare, something more Slate/CLA sounding.

And I thought I was the only guy who asked himself where the singer is :D
It's probably harder to record vocals, too in such a small place while everyone is playing, at least that
would be a good reason to not record the vocals in there imho.

The guys want me to do the singing but I don't think I'll be able to do both playing and singing at the same time.. I always struggled doing that.. :(

I don't understand. What is the idea behind this video/audio recording if it's not to evaluate the practice and performance?

I never said that it wasn't made for that!

I just wanna get it to sound as good as possible so we can post our good sessions on the band's FB page..

decadawn: yea, but if it's made for that (which I think is a great idea!), why not sing when you play? I mean, you'll have to do it on stage, too :)

The lyrics aren't completely finished and I struggle too much playing and singing at the same time.. I did it before with easier stuff but now I'd have to spend hours practicing it and I'm a family guy running a business, so I don't have much time for myself :(