Out of 10, how would you rate the new song?

The Grand Conjuration ?/10?

Votes: 4 2.1%

Votes: 2 1.1%

Votes: 2 1.1%

Votes: 14 7.4%

Votes: 24 12.8%

Votes: 54 28.7%

Votes: 51 27.1%

Votes: 29 15.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Damnit oinkness, calling this a regular ass hardcore song is complete blasphemy. Why by god I've never heard "hardcore" sound so evil in my life. The vibe on the song is totally different from anything else they've ever done, and wtf, bodom like solo? Come on! That solo is really intense and hits the perfect notes. and btw, it's absolutely nothing like bodom, it wasn't a "happy/classical" solo, it was an epic/climactic solo with a touch of a dark classical feel at the end. Unlike bodom wanking, it adds lots of intensity and kind of creates a feeling of "panic." Alexi Laiho solo's for the purpose of showing of finger dexterity.

I think the problem is everyone is looking for extreme technicality, which there is in the drumming/rhythm and soloing, not so much in the chord usage and the fast hammer-ons and pull offs and over all riffage. It's focused on being fucking brutal and having a wicked vibe. It's completely fresh and non-formulatic, and I find it amazing that it can conjur(lol) such power and evil. As a result, I've come to love the acoustics, the keys (very creepy), the structure, and the chuggah chuggahness. Opeth are just complete geniuses. Amen forever and ever.

6. Its a good song, but it didn't have one thing that I can say really blew me away after several listens. One major thing that I did not like is the fact that the atmosphere is coming mostly from the synth. I preferred it when guitars supplied most of the Opethian gloom. Well, its just my opinion. And yes, its a good thing that they have evolved. The riffing in the beginning did nothing for me also.

Metalstrm said:
6. Its a good song, but it didn't have one thing that I can say really blew me away after several listens. One major thing that I did not like is the fact that the atmosphere is coming mostly from the synth. I preferred it when guitars supplied most of the Opethian gloom. Well, its just my opinion. And yes, its a good thing that they have evolved. The riffing in the beginning did nothing for me also.

How is this "evolution" a good thing when you clearly don't think the song is that great? :erk:

Evolution, while i agree is good, doesn't appear to be present here. If anything its a tad of regression, not so much in style, but in complexity. I enjoy the atmosphere, double bass and overall interesting musicianship in all the previous Opeth albums. It just isn't on the same level imo.

Looking for a Job said:
i guess the 15-paged thread dedicated to the song didn't clue you?

32.gif

Try to listen to everything that is in the background of the song. Some guitar tracks and drum parts are really low in this rip, I can definitly see its potential.

As for people that hate this new song, shut up heh.

Opeth changes style every album, thats what makes a good band.

Oh my god, they didn't add in the "Opeth atmosphere" considering every album had a different atmosphere to it. I don't understand why everyone turns into dumbass-mode when a new song/album comes out.

Reclusion said:
How is this "evolution" a good thing when you clearly don't think the song is that great? :erk:

Evolution, while i agree is good, doesn't appear to be present here. If anything its a tad of regression, not so much in style, but in complexity. I enjoy the atmosphere, double bass and overall interesting musicianship in all the previous Opeth albums. It just isn't on the same level imo.

mm2

Some of the lack of complexity is probably due to the low quality rip. Some guitar melodies are just lost. If you mix the two channels together you'll be able to cancel the guitar line and the drums and hear the piano only.
We'll also have to wait for the whole album. Probably then the song will feel better as part of a whole, especially considering that its going to be a concept album.

Metalstrm said:
Some of the lack of complexity is probably due to the low quality rip. Some guitar melodies are just lost. If you mix the two channels together you'll be able to cancel the guitar line and the drums and hear the piano only.
We'll also have to wait for the whole album. Probably then the song will feel better as part of a whole, especially considering that its going to be a concept album.

Wise you are my friend.

9/10
I like this very much. I like they could do something different this time again. Actually it is really hard to tell that this is really Opeth ... the vocals are so different, keybords, rhytms... I deffinately will buy this album (of course :) )

Looking for a Job said:
it really depends on the definition of "evolution." i'd say they evolved from deliverance, but deliverance was a regression from bwp, and bwp a regression from still life, so i guess this next one seems like it'll be between bwp and deliverance. i guess? :confused: anyway, i'm amazing for ripping this

EXACTLY. This is exactly how the album should be seen. It's a progression from Deliverance, which in turn was a regression from BWP, which in turn was a regression from Still Life.

Opeth are finally back ON THE RIGHT TRACK with their writing. That alone is worth rejoicing over.

I voted 7 btw.

sounds too thin to tell right now...and i got some pretty good speakers.
will reserve judgment for full album--interested in how it fits the whole and need to hear a better-quality version...