Out of curiosity...

*edit* @Trey:

I see what he's saying, though--the message is a lot less mainstream, even if the music itself is not...

@ Silent Song:

Regarding Green Day: Agreed. I haven't heard SOAD, ever, so I couldn't say about them...

Then why did everyone make such a big deal out of American Idiot? Green Day really matured with that release. Granted they are still not everyone's cup of tea, but they've gone from in-your-face to intellectual, which is a pretty significant change for a band in their genre.

Mmm. They're intellectual as far as punk (or perhaps pop-punk is a more appropriate description) bands go. Take a look at some of their contemporaries. I enjoy punk music, but I will be the first to admit that a lot of the lyrics really suck. Search for lyrics by, say, The Casualties online (assuming you have not heard them before) and THEN you'll know what to call "definitely NOT intellectual."

edit: Trey, I don't care that you don't care. The beauty of it is I didn't ask you to care :tickled:

NeverIsForever said:
Then why did everyone make such a big deal out of American Idiot? Green Day really matured with that release.
the only people who made a big deal out of American Idiot were DJs and people like Stephen King, who don't know *shit* about music. I've heard American Idiot 1,000,000 times and I can't past the fact that it's the *exact* same formula they used for Dookie and whatever filler-albums they used between then and now. Tre Cool and company are hardly intellectuals, my friends....................but they're smart enought to figure out how to get absurdly rich from music.

Looking for a Job said:
wow, you're actually reading punk lyrics. enjoy the eternal burning in hades
I read the lyrics to anything I listen to. And as far as I'm concerned hell is nothing more than a religious construct designed to scare people into buying the crap Christianity has to sell. But I'll enjoy it anyway, just because you told me to ;)

NeverIsForever said:
I read the lyrics to anything I listen to. And as far as I'm concerned hell is nothing more than a religious construct designed to scare people into buying the crap Christianity has to sell. But I'll enjoy it anyway, just because you told me to ;)

Actually, he said hades. That means you'll be forced to listen to Styx for eternity.

My brain is obviously mush. So they're doing something right.

You hate me? That's too bad. The chick in your avatar looks like my school counselor :tickled:

And as for joining the military, thanks but no thanks. I'm a military brat (twice over) and that's as close to a uniform as this bitch is ever going to get.

no, System of a down has better guitar work, the guitar player/vocalist sings better, and System use lots of double bass, blast beats, and that galloping drum thing Metallica did alot. Plus they have added more progressive elements.

Green Day still maintaned their crapy musicianship with more instruments (pianos, bells...) and longer songs.

Looking for a Job said:
and battle of evermore is better than all zeppelin songs

Plus some of the lyrics were inspired from Plant's reading LOTR! Indeed it is a great song. Also, I think the only crap Zep album was ITTOD but that's because Page was too wasted on heroin to write anything good so JPJ took over and used all of those shitty synths. The three albums after their first four were all great, HOTH, PG, and Presence.

1. Heaviest Zep song? "Achilles Last Stand" is almost out and out metal, and a great song at that.

2. A band that started mainstream and got more extreme (but not better)? Ministry.

3. Speaking of punk, has anybody ever listened to NoMeansNo? I was reading some Opeth reviews, and on this one website many of the reviewers praised Opeth but said they weren't as good as NoMeansNo, a punk band--go figure. Checked AMG and they kiss the band's ass for their musicianship. Just curious about a band from a different genre that may be of similar caliber to Opeth.

Heaviest Zep album? Physical Grafiti
This album is slower so it has more pronounced chords. It features more distortion and even had power chords.

Heaviest Zep song? Sick Again

In The Woods:

starded as a common pagan black metal band and ended as a non-definable mixture of epic psychedelic post-rock...surely they were more metal-mainstream in the beginning

Hypnos said:
In The Woods:

starded as a common pagan black metal band and ended as a non-definable mixture of epic psychedelic post-rock...surely they were more metal-mainstream in the beginning

Common pagan black metal band? Yeah, i hear those on the radio everyday, and MTV is just oversaturated with them. Talk about misunderstanding the question...

BurningSky said:
Common pagan black metal band? Yeah, i hear those on the radio everyday, and MTV is just oversaturated with them. Talk about misunderstanding the question...
...as if you could see Pink Floyd and Led Zeppellin everyday on MTV...seriously, i wrote about metal mainstream, so dont get too picky. and yes Ulver is a good example too