Out of curiosity

Billy Idol

Hopeless optimist
Sep 7, 2002
How many of you have at one point or another felt that all these tons and tons of new people introduced to Opeth during the last four or five years are taking away YOUR band, that they cannot have Opeth because Opeth is essentially yours?

I myself have had a hard time getting into anything past "Morningrise", even though I do immensely appreciate the band as an individual(istic) creature among a great deal of bollocks. At times the albums seem to work out, so to speak, at others they do not. I have the tapes from '91 and have always felt as having this special relationship to Opeth, a sort of secret order of the few, while then again I was only befriended by the band's music when they were already doing records.

How about you, lads and lasses. Obviously Opeth rocks the boat, but do you sometimes feel (hope) that you were the only seafarer aboard that very boat, the only person listening to Opeth?

Originally posted by Billy Idol
How about you, lads and lasses. Obviously Opeth rocks the boat, but do you sometimes feel (hope) that you were the only seafarer aboard that very boat, the only person listening to Opeth? [/B]

sometimes...but that's childish. it's the music that counts, not the fact that you might be special because you like Opeth(or any other obscure band). but I have to admit that I think that way sometimes...hoping they'll not get too popular and stuff :lol:

I think it's great people are finding music that actually has a lot of quality and style and thought, instead of cranking something mundane like, say, Rhapsody, that is destitute of any intelligence or creativity, yet there is this thing about discovering bands, savouring and enjoying them within your personal domain, something that is very far away from a collective understanding. Maybe this is just a fixation of my own, being the type of punter who continually tries to seek out pearls amid the swine, appreciating new perspectives and views at something almost as much as professional realisation, fancy packaging or so. Yes, it might be somewhat naïve, but I think it also contains an amount of idealism one needs to really succeed in managing all the debris the music scene holds within itself.

But anyway, it could be said that whenever one is surrounded by the music of Opeth, it is indeed the only music existing in the world at that point. It does have a surging power.

Now I'm being too much of a pretentious lecturer, so I must stop.

I think some good points have been made. Nice thread. In fact, just today, I walked past a group of people gathered outside a club, waiting to get into a death metal gig. Many of them wearing Opeth shirts. (How did I miss this? Probably because I've been immersing myself in Soul Calibur II for the last few months). At any rate, I kind of thought as I walked past...'Hah, most of u weren't into Opeth years ago when Orchid first came out, like I was.'...The pretentious wanker that I am. Yeah, its pretty much all screed. Its all about the music, I'm just glad I've had so long to appreciate them.

Not me. I wish I knew more people who like Opeth. I'm a musician and I want to play Opeth songs in a band but I don't know any musician who has ever even heard of them.

I wasn't into Opeth back when Orchid came out. I was 10 years old and probably thought that michael jackson was the coolest thing in music, but I've been listening since MAYH and I consider myself as passionate a fan as those there from the beginning. My point of view though, is that if Opeth's music can do what it does for me for someone else, I'm all about getting them into it. I think casual Opeth listeners cheapen the real value of the music though. It's not something to listen to here and there and say is something that you like but not your favorite.

Also, I think musicians/songwriters as gifted as Opeth are bound to get noticed. They deserve every bit of success they get, and there's nothing wrong with that. I still enjoy the music no matter what, and it's good to know that there's some sort of unity among the fans worldwide.

Well, I just got into Opeth a little less than a year ago... Which sucks, yet its great at the same time... I don't have many years' worth of listenening so that I could tell you the exact time to advance a player to to show off a solo, yet its great becasue I still get surprised occassionally when I leave any of their Cds in the player and just listen to the greatness that is Opeth. But, no offense, I am happy to be stealing the music from you, and sharing to everyone who listens to my radio show :p Metal of this caliber needs to be heard and recognized.

Originally posted by IanDork107
My point of view though, is that if Opeth's music can do what it does for me for someone else, I'm all about getting them into it. I think casual Opeth listeners cheapen the real value of the music though.

I'm glad when new people get into Opeth. I think the more people can appreciate different (and good) types of music the better. However, what you have said there is well said. Opeth takes time to understand, and if people take that time, then I'm certainly all for it. :) Many good bands are like that - Radiohead, Tool, and Smashing Pumpkins come to mind off the top of my head.