This forum is overly critical of opeth

I thought I would add my two cents on this.

Moonie was right, Alot of people have alot of different opinions on this board. So saying everyone is something is kinda stupid. But I dont see how anyone could be dissapointed by Ghost Reveries. The album is light years ahead of Deliverance, the band have progressed and looked inside thier past at the same time it's a fantastic album.

Which leads me to critacisims. For example I dont like TGC, but the screams Mike does are amazing. His death vocals are some of the best in the genre. The thing to remember is sure we nit pick with the albums, but Opeth are still better than 99% of metal and we know that. So its less about saying Opeth suck, but something isnt as fantastic as another part. Even though its not great its amazing music.

And in the end its only opinions, Mike will never change his writing style cuz we dont like one piece of his song.

I'm not really critical of Opeth. I am slightly disappointed with the new album, but it's still great. Would be better if it didn't have a certain song on it :cough R/HF COUGH:

I must say, GR isn't bad by any means, but it is in no way close to their others. It doesnt have the same "warm" feeling, production-wise that all the others have. Frankly, I cant understand why theres so much hype around it. But honestly, we could all argue over what album is better then the other for the remainder of Opeth's existance, but I think its fair enough just to say we all have different tastes. For example, I love Deliverance to an unhealthy extent, but amongst most fans it seems to be the least favoured of their entire discography.

If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is: Infinite. --William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Critical is still kind of a good word... Try most other band forums and it's not critisizing - it's serious shit tossing over there...

@RDreamer: I aggree that music (in my words) automatically takes part in the definition of the person who listens to it. I also cant deny thinking of myself to listen to better music then most of the others by all meanings. I just can not prevent this.
But not everyone uses music as a status symbol, or just to be cool by listening to it, as you say, what was your conclusion. Sure, I see those people every day. Thinking of themselves to be an evil megacool goth by wearing dark cloth, make up, and a "Rasmus"-shirt, which is a finnish pop-band with little metal sounds and gothic looks.
But i guess many people at this board really dont care that much how often Opeth will be plaid at MTV, if this ever happens (here in Europe it did not so far as I know). So I will not search for a new favourite band.
For example, I also listen to an old extremely uncool german rock-band with local dialect vocals called BAP (this means older material, because they suck since their lead guitarist left).
There is not only one truth.

Maybe wearing a Rasmus t-shirt is all it takes to be a megacool goth nowadays, the Roadrunner Kidz make the trendz and we just have to try and keep up, or as most of us seem to just ignore it.

RDreamer said:
See that's the thing... music IS a social status now... it's just what our society has become. It's just like owning a Porsche, you see. If some jerk owns a Porsche he often feels like he can look down on the "little people" driving a Ford Taurus or some such domestic. So it is with music listeners. If I listen to complex, deep music like Opeth, apparently I can look down upon the mindless goobers who listen to Green Day and The All-American Rejects.

It has to do, like most status symbols, with stereotypes. If you buy a Gucci bag, you are hip. If you buy a plain handbag, you are white trash. Any socialite can tell you that. TRL was popular for so many years because it showed music that sheep-like teenagers (particularly females) would listen to and latch on to like lampreys on a trout; bands like Korn, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Eminem, etc. MTV still uses this philosophy today by exploiting bullshit such as 50 Cent, The Pussycat Dolls, and the entire Warped Tour.

Smart folk stayed away from this drivel and listened to decent red-blooded God-fearing music like In Flames, at least until they became commercial, and God forbid any hard-working band try to sell some records! Oh no we can't have that. We want our music to be so underground that nobody, including us or the band members themselves, has ever heard of it. We want our music to sound like a druid is being eaten by a werewolf in a forest on the fucking Moon.

But I digress. The basic idea is we don't want the people driving Tauruses to suddenly be able to afford a Porsche, because WE DON'T WANT TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH THEM. People don't actually hate artists for becoming popular unless they have marginalized their music in order to do so; we hate being fans of the same bands as MTV-watching mental dwarves.

Instead of being proud of White Trash Tanya next door for realizing that a Gucci bag will reflect better upon her tastes, we feel that her owning one somehow drags us down into a lower social class. This is simply the way humans are because humans have a pathological and undeniable need to feel better than other people. It's sad, because when a band becomes popular we SHOULD feel happy for them, their hard work paid off and they are getting the recognition they deserve. But NOOOO, Indie Rock Dumbass Tommy from my high school now likes Opeth, so they are no longer cool. I must get into an even more underground band with a name I cannot even pronounce from Eastern Bumfuckistan and then I will be cool!

People are sad. It's the truth.

Well put!:worship:

Thankfully, I don't give a shit what people think, and I tend to ignore what other people are doing. It also helps that I'm not in high school (though I did teach there for a while, and I saw what you're talking about).

Eastern Bumfuckistan is the new Gothenburg. ALL the good music comes out of there nowadays! You guys seriously have to get with the scene.

The conclusion I made was certainly not that everyone uses music as a status symbol, rather that music fans who begin to dislike their favorite bands when those bands become popular use it as such. It's a constant race for these musical elitists between themselves and "lamerz" who used to like Hoobastank but now feel that Arcturus is the greatest thing since puberty. Catch my meaning here?

And who the hell thinks The Rasmus is goth? Shit, their singer thinks he's a fucking bird and the music's more emo than Bright Eyes. Goth is a stupid label anyway, the only true goth band is Siouxsie and the Banshees and I bet none of the little Rasmus kids have ever even heard of them.

And I doubt they care either. And the majority of them will grow out of it. And the others will find Slipknot, and some of them will find the roadrunner site, and some of them will venture onto the Opeth site, and then some of them might find their way here to this forum.

We can't all start off just liking Opeth. I unfortunatly listened to Marilyn Manson when I was a kid because of my brother and his friends, but that is what got me into heavy music. My Brother now listens to Aqua and Yes and I listen to Opeth. No harm done, except the fact that I actually helped MM's sales in the 90's... damnit.

I agree with the first post, but I also find it quite natural. The forum is a gathering of Opeth-geeks, and like any other geeks they over-analyze. It's like a big fan of any tv-series, finding small small reason to why an episode sucks, while just watcher is general get the same feel from it.

I dunno how many thousand times I've read on this forum "Duuudeee -insert song- suxx!" and then something like " (note that it's still opeth and better than anything else)

So it is like the forum-geeks have created a music-superleague in which they let opeths music play, and they are of course overly-anal about everything.

Might be a bad thing, might be a good thing, at least it's usually very dedicated to opeth-listening. And there are of course some complete assholes just babbling on about "The pre mayh-days" but they are few and far between and should be considered "lost cases"/"retards"

RDreamer said:
The conclusion I made was certainly not that everyone uses music as a status symbol, rather that music fans who begin to dislike their favorite bands when those bands become popular use it as such. It's a constant race for these musical elitists between themselves and "lamerz" who used to like Hoobastank but now feel that Arcturus is the greatest thing since puberty. Catch my meaning here?

Got it. So your materialism-examples only were meant as an agreement to the thread-starter. As vampyrouss said, most of those music-elitist (and Rasmus-kiddies, which is another thing) will grow out of it. But this will not prevent them to be material elitists. - This confused me a little. :D

[I'm glad that Gunhaver and his cronies are gone. It's a better place here now.[/QUOTE]
Gunhaver had cronies? Who were the other people who left?

MasterOLightning said:
I'm glad that Gunhaver and his cronies are gone. It's a better place here now.

I would have to agree. In some ways, this forum closing for a little while was a good thing.

I've been away from this forum for some time now, and decided to come back today. I've noticed the threads have less "f*** you" comments in them.