Critical future of Opeth...

Opeth has grown in popularity in the past 10 years. Due to talent and word of mouth. They are somewhat similar to Porcupine Tree in that regard. If you talk to somebody who isn't a metalhead and ask them what metal bands they have heard of they will sometimes come up with Opeth. That certainly wouldn't have been the case even 5 years ago. So I believe Opeth are beginning to recieve recognition outside of the "metal" genre.

I remember when I read some festival lineups for 2005 or 2006 and saw that Opeth were playing Rock am Ring and I began to wonder why,
because I assumed they were strictly metal and too "strange" for those kind of festivals... Also a friend of mine was into them at the time and he luckily got me into the 'peth!

I guess that constant touring and big festival gigs is a factor that's not to be underestimated when it comes to popularity and because the music is so vast and far mor interesting than
most bands on those bills, Opeth really deserve it.

Well, if Opeth DID go down the tubes, you could always listen to my band. We pretty much take the shit position, if you know what I mean...;)

Yeah, this 'too good for the masses' or 'musical intellectual' arguements are just stupid. Sorry, but at least the pop fans you are derriding don't feel the need to be overtly pretenious and pretend their musical taste is on some higher plain of existence. :loco:

Actually, I've seen people of all kinds of different musical tastes (including pop) act as though "their musical tatste is on some higher plain of existence." A lot of people are just too focused on their own personal taste to understand how subjective it all is, and they can't grasp how someone could like something that they don't.

Actually, I've seen people of all kinds of different musical tastes (including pop) act as though "their musical tatste is on some higher plain of existence." A lot of people are just too focused on their own personal taste to understand how subjective it all is, and they can't grasp how someone could like something that they don't.

Oh, I'm not excluding any particular style in that statement - a lot of people take their taste in music way too serious.