This forum is overly critical of opeth

KeithRT99

BOOSH.
Nov 8, 2005
Vallejo,CA
www.soundclick.com
I've noticed that opeth fans, at least on this forum, and children of bodom fans are super critical of everything opeth or bodom does. Its like nothing they do is ever good enough. its like Everyone hates deliverance and ghost reveries, and there's this elitist "orchid and morningrise are the only good albums" group i always see. I just felt like saying it. Flame away

Having been on here for over 3 years, I'd have to disagree.

There are plenty of people who like Deliverance and Ghost Reveries. There is the group that worships everything pre-MAYH, but they are quite few and far between. You're more likely to run into people who think SL and Morningrise are the Shiz.

Sorry Moonlapse, I dont mean to be offensive at all, as you've been nothing but good to me since I joined this forum, but I think you missed the point of his post. I kind of agree, and it's why I choose not to post here quite as often as I used to. I think it's less a matter of people being critical of Opeth's music, but more a matter of people being critical towards other members. I've noticed that some people are incredibly bias in their opinions of Opeth's music, and they have a tendancy to get quite hostile when their opinion is questioned. Anyways. I see what you mean, and I must say, this forum would be a greater place if it were like it was a year ago. And I am sure that is something you too could agree with Moonlapse.

I'de give that one to you, I mean, this place is far more peacefull then say the Metallica forum. People on that forum are such arrogant bastards, and it gets pretty frustrating after a while. I've noticed on here, atleast some of the people are nice enough to give their opinions, or share their knowledge on whatever situation that comes up. On the other hand, its getting to be such a pain in the ass to see some new guy come on, just to ask the people what song is their favorite or something (possibly just so they can be a part of something) and then get slammed by some guy who thinks hes superior just cause hes got a couple hundred posts.

Ghost Reveries was by no means a bad album, but personally it didnt live up to my expectations. Great album in any case, but I think it could have been much better.

Well, it's an interesting dynamic on here. I never got the impression that the thread author here was making commentary about how we interact with each other... more how we view Opeth's music.

But we are of course in a bit of a bind. There are some drastically differing viewpoints about Opeth, and in particular from the crew that are older fans and feel that the new community is beneath them. Most of these guys have moved out over time. However you still tend to have your clashes between people mainly because the people who are new to the place aren't as familiar with how often certain questions come up. The older members tend to get agitated at seeing the same threads regurgitated all the time and just lash out, provoking a response etc. and you have yourself a flame war.

I think the biggest issue on here is that people don't speak to each other with enough civility. It seems like the slightest misappropriate question can provoke outright hostility.

Everyone is so caught up in their own e-social circles that there is outright prejudice when 2 different types even meet. I think this is more or less evident with the departure of several members from here to form the 'Unofficial' Opeth forum. There is a very strong 'us vs them' sentiment there. Something I really can't understand.

There is this huge stigma almost all over UM that all the Opeth fans that post here are complete and utter fanboys who worship everything the band does. The people who usually voice those criticisms are the ones caught up in the mentality of 'I now hate Opeth because they are more popular and attract a younger fanbase'. Those who refuse to even give the band a chance these days because everything is compared to the 'golden era' whether that be Orchid + Morningrise or MAYH + SL, depending on the person.

I don't know. I could never understand all the vindication directed towards this place. A lot of the hatred is so baseless, and counter-productive to everything that I just can't understand why people bother.

But I guess that's my 2.5c.

Moonlapse said:
Having been on here for over 3 years, I'd have to disagree.

There are plenty of people who like Deliverance and Ghost Reveries. There is the group that worships everything pre-MAYH, but they are quite few and far between. You're more likely to run into people who think SL and Morningrise are the Shiz.
i agree.

and why the heck did you KeithRT99 bother mentioning CoB? this is the OPETH forum.

I agree with the guy but it has died down over the last month or so. Hope it stays that way!

Ikil

I have found my way onto lots of forums recently, and they are all the same, but to be honest this one and The Berzerker forum are probably the friendliest, which is why I really only post on those 2 now. CoB has to be the worst. Followed by Nightwish which is just a mess. I think on the whole this forum has the least elitist morons I've encountered, and even the ones that are like that on here seem alright for forum elitists!

I'm proud to post on here at the moment, there are good people, good opinions and good music. Pity about the millions of polls, but they are harmless enough.

Moonlapse said:
There is this huge stigma almost all over UM that all the Opeth fans that post here are complete and utter fanboys who worship everything the band does. The people who usually voice those criticisms are the ones caught up in the mentality of 'I now hate Opeth because they are more popular and attract a younger fanbase'.
banghead9qq.gif

Yes, and most of these Opeth haters used to be some of the biggest fanboys back in the day. I think part of the reason is that older Opeth fans are jealous towards newers fans because they have just discovered a truly special band.

Ikil said:
I agree with the guy but it has died down over the last month or so. Hope it stays that way!
This forum has gotten a lot better since the closing, when some of the rowdier members moved away.

Also a bit off topic, but there are people who naturally don't see like Opeth, and because Opeth fans are so dedicated to ...erm let's call it "promoting" the band, the over-hype kind of causes a huge dissapointment for them. I see this huge resentment towards Opeth outside of this forum, even on UM.

Moonlapse: best post I've seen since becoming a member. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my thoughts.

WTF BODOM? They aren't an important band at all, and I've never seen any chat of them on this board.