Opeth Musical Future

for my selfish personal tastes a return to MAYH style heavyness combined with BWP style production
Amen to that man!
Since the beginning of time (or, since im into Opeth :)) I am into the older stuff. MAYH is great i think and Morningrise is def one of my fav's.

I think even Mike doesnt know what the hell is going to happen!
Whatever will be, will be, and let it be, cause opeth rock! :D

Helo..

I've thought about Opeth's musical future for a long time now.

I'd be delighted if their next album is an ultra-violent concept album with like
seven ten-minutes cast-in-darkness-opuses with awesome progressive
metal parts. With Mike's rhythmic serenity-painted-death-roars, rich clean
vocals :lol: and tasteful acoustic guitars over heavy riffs. I'd like to hear
psychadelic mellotron, Deliverance-guitar-riffs, precise and embellished
heavy drumming and flawless bass with octaves and shit! The songs should
only surface to mellow parts a couple of seconds to guide the music towards
the next heavy part. Now, wouldn't it be cool to hear Opeth's heaviest album
EVER?!

However the album turns out I'll be happy though! But I have thought about
this: I think Opeth's gonna become a progressive rockband one day. It's in
their nature. It's like Steven Wilson said in the documentary: "I think, with
Opeth, there's degree of musicality and sofistication which is [has got] nothing
to do with metal at all". Besides, Mike's getting older and has got a great passion
for prog-rock and stuff.

Personally, I'll always love Opeth (the members) and have the uttermost respect
for anything they do (really). And I'm not saying they're gonna turn mellow
over a year, but in time I can feel it coming. Somehow.

What do you think about Opeth's future? Do you think their gonna turn
more heavy or keep on trucking ?

Wow, that's a LOT of demands. It sounds like you're gonna make the album yourself hehe.. Just kidding...

I'd like something with the BWP atmoshphere... I liked it the most. And some greater editing, GR was kind of dry-producer wise imo.

But yet again, every album has managed to be different from the other. Opeth never stay seated, always progress. It's in their nature, and, good luck to them all. :)

I cant even begin to attempt to say what I think their future will be...nor do I want to. Opeth is always evolving, twisting, crossing over barriers...that's what makes them the greatest band in the world! I want to be blissfully surprised by what Mikael and the boys (can't fucking wait to hear Axe's contribution!) come up with next. One thing I do know about it...it will be BRILLIANT!!!

I hope they make something more... black metal-ish. They've been progressing with death metal and progressive rock for a while now, and it'd be nice to see some black metal influences on the next album. Or they can do another Damnation type album, whatever. I'd probably like it either way.

Whatever people say about Ghost Reveries, at least it was unpredictable! Most people were predicting a 40 minute black metal song. I think if i'm surprised by what they put out, i'll be happy.

Dear Benighted Joe,

A lot of what you described sounds like Ghost Reveries. I personally would prefer if Opeth went in a completely different direction. However it is most-likely that they will remain in the Ghost Reveries setup but will just write new songs in that style. More stuff like a mix between Orchid/Morningrise and Still Life would be incredible, but that probably won't happen. :(