Opeth and negative music.

mot- said:
It mostly depends on the song. Sometimes im close to tears, sometimes im close to running out of the house to shout out aloud "OPETH IS SO FUCKING GENIUS!".

Deliverance, Harvest, Lepper Affinity, When and Demon of The Fall usually make me smile (could more or less also be described as the mot's evil grin). :D

Haha, mot's evil grin..

Evil Ernie said:
It is indeed some damn depressive music, but they manage to deliver this negative energy with a touch of beauty and hopefulness.

I really like when they built up tention to release it in a powerful moment of pure beauty, the best example being Bleak (6:40).
Damn! That part is so beautiful!

This reminds me of my own thread "Inner beauty"? :p

A friend of mine told me that he watched to the DVD and mentioned that Opeth are too negative and spread a negative and evil mood.
"The first part of the DVD is cool but the heavy stuff has too negative moods. i prefer more positive music..."

I had to laugh a bit...

Of all the bands, something about Bloodbath's "Ressurection Through Carnage" makes me laugh out loud with joy, it makes me so happy. Opeth too, to a lesser extent. Maybe it's just the fact that Bloodbath was such a free-spirited getting back to the oldschool Stockholm sound project :)

osse87 said:
Opeth is sad music, but I like it very much. I think depressive music in general sounds better than "happy" music. Still I don't get "depressed" or anything when listening to Opeth, I enjoy it, because the music is so good.

Yeah, I agree

kno talint said:
yep...thats the whole point of death metal if you want happy music then....uh....power metal perhaps. im listening to iron maiden right now....happy stuff :p

''Ruuuun Too Thhhheee Hiilllls, Ruun Foorrrr Yoouurrrrr Liiiiiiiiiiiiives''

Can't get much happier. Maiden are the shit :headbang:

I think "depressive" is a overused term. Sure Opeth is sad but not depressive, i.e. I def. don´t wanna should myself after an Opeth concert.

Hmm, I love it. If I´m pissed off or depressed listening to Opeth is like therapy for me. It just shows that there is positivity in negativity. Or good in bad. The lyrics are so sorrowful it´s a release, and when you think things are so bad, you realise that you´re not alone and people face troubles everyday, some worse than you can ever imagine. For anyone who writes lyrics or songs, you probably know that you can write alot better when your angry or sad and it´s as if it almost flows out of you. You can´t fake emotion. Opeth can give us a means to vent through them. And when you realise that something so beautiful can come out of something bad/sad then there´s hope for all, and this gives me more hope than songs like "shiny happy people"

Opeth is genuine and always have been.

I've personally never thought of Opeth as depressive, though their music is certainly not incredibly positive. I agree that their music is laced with a suggestion of hope, which is what can be so uplifting. They have a way of expressing emotions that really touches the listener, including, I believe, the instrumental side...

Not negative, and absolutely not depressive.
Opeth releases some positive agression and "hate" when listening, songs from orchid and morningrise are just so emotional <3 :headbang:

If you haven't seen it, try out My Dying Bride's DVD "For Darkest Eyes"; it's a brilliant concert with tracks from the best My Dying Bride ("Turn Loose the Swans" and "The Angel and the Dark River"). Intense!

As for Opeth, the most depressing track for me is Hope Leaves and, at the same time, it's one of the most beautiful.