Easy Opeth songs to play

Moonlapse said:
I learned Forest of October very early into my playing... I don't really understand what parts are challenging... minus the solos, which with a bit of work also open up.

It's got those tremelo picking riffs and seriously that solo riff is pretty much the fastest riff in any opeth song. Like...m154 of the powertab. That stuff is absolutely not beginner material unless you play it at greatly reduced speed.

Indrid Cold said:
I wish that were true for bass - I'm having a very hard time with Ghost of Perdition and Harlequin Forest. Great tabs by the way, Wankerness.

Yeah that cd has awesome bass parts, they're very fun to play but are kinda hard. The guitar parts are much easier (but less interesting :D).

I'm trying to learn how to play For Absent friends now- first song I am ever learning on a guitar. However I think the tab I picked online is wrong because I cannot get it to sound the same (of course, it might just be me and not the tab).

metalheadtimmy said:
hey thx a lot for your recommendations guys, im gonna try n learn april ethereal and patterns in the ivy for now

good choices...you will be even cooler as soon as you accept april ethereal as your favorite song in the world.

Deliverance was surpisingly easy to learn, i learned it in only 3 days. right now, i'm currently learning bleak which is a tad harder:p

JoeVice said:
good choices...you will be even cooler as soon as you accept april ethereal as your favorite song in the world.
Heading for smackdown here, but I slightly struggle with the clean arpeggiating bit at Opeth speed. Great song though.

Moonlapse said:
I learned Forest of October very early into my playing... I don't really understand what parts are challenging... minus the solos, which with a bit of work also open up.

I'd recommend Patterns in the Ivy. It's a very calming track that won't piss you off as you repeatedly play through it. It's great for building finger-picking skill.

Most of the older stuff really... Advent, The Twilight is my Robe. Probably don't want to be touching too many BWP tracks, because at that point opeth got pretty intricate with their riffs. Still Life you want to stay the living hell away from too, since it has some of their hardest stuff.

My Arms, Your Hearse has some easy tracks. April Ethereal, Credence, Demon of the Fall.

I've heard that Ghost Reveries is overall fairly easy, but I haven't really attempted learning any of it.

Best of luck. Remember, when it gets hard, don't give up.. just try harder.

This is a great and positive point. I've just bought my first ever acoustic, and I'm playing a guitar for the first time in 10 years really.

I decided I want to learn the opening for Closure - its beautiful and sounds amazing on steel strnigs (which I have). It's damn tough though for a pleb like me.

The intro to closure is easy imo, but the middle bit right before he starts singing "awaiting word..." can be pretty tricky.

Yeah that middle part on closure makes my anus clench, I always fuck it up. I can play it casually but when I try to record a cover then my fingers knot up....without fail.

The first Opeth song I learned in full was For Absent Friends. The lead on that song is very very easy. I also learned Epilogue which was my favorite song to learn although it is a bit difficult on some parts. I am still learning When, which I have not found a very accurate tablature for.

I think Still Life is definitely the most challenging Opeth to play.

As for easy shit, I think Master's Apprentices is a piece of cake, and the solo has got to be one of the easiest solos I've tried to learn. It's also great having Lamentations. You can see Mike play the whole thing in the documentary as he's tracking it. Ha!

I don't find Ghost Reveries too bad, but one thing I did notice is that if you're guitar is even the slightest bit out of tune while playing it, it sounds attrocious, thanks to the tuning. I mean yeah, sounds like shit in any tuning if you're out, but with these songs it's worse.