Opeth and negative music.

I think the leper affinity is a really uplifting song, the tempo, and the pace of the song. But for the most part they are contemplative songs, especially Damnation.

Opeths concerts however are very uplifting.

I wouldn't call Opeth negative, more like dark. I don't think music itself really can be classified like that anyway. something "negative" to one person might be uplifting to another.

my fave song ever is "To live for my death" of Shape of Despair. I really feel depressed listening to it, but i can feel a little bit of hope too.
you are depressed, it's hard to listen to that, but you can't deny that there's something which tells you to survive.

Opeth songs are really emotive, and full of feelings. in majority joyless. my fave songs are these in which i can see me, in which i feel what i've known in my life.
Many of Opeth's songs (in majority in Damnation) are like this.

but i cannot tell or judge what is negative or positive music.
i think that all the songs you like are positive music for you. if you find a song good, even if you feel depressed listening to it, you don't find it negative.

my fave song ever is "To live for my death" of Shape of Despair. I really feel depressed listening to it, but i can feel a little bit of hope too.
you are depressed, it's hard to listen to that, but you can't deny that there's something which tells you to survive.

Opeth songs are really emotive, and full of feelings. in majority joyless. my fave songs are these in which i can see me, in which i feel what i've known in my life.
Many of Opeth's songs (in majority in Damnation) are like this.

but i cannot tell or judge what is negative or positive music.
i think that all the songs you like are positive music for you. if you find a song good, even if you feel depressed listening to it, you don't find it negative.

heh! i remember this thread. I agree with Dark Thane on the conept of negative. There is some obviously negative music out there, but Opeth are not - they're dark. Look at Decadent's post on page 1. Sums it up pretty well.

My opinion is that we are talking about where we get our energy from. I would think many to most people get energy from "happy" music but there are some of us that get energy and enjoyment from listening to death metal. It doesn't make us fucked up, just different - and that's something I appreciate in people, as long as they're being honest about it.

My wife just bought the soundtrack to Garden State. While everyone I know loves the music on it, I cannot get into it. I'll agree that the songwriting is top-notch for what is intended, but I get no energy from it...... then again, I listen to Rush (very positive and smiley in my opinion) BUT they are infinitely more complex and talented than the bands on the Garden State soundtrack. - but this thread isnt about complexity so I will end with that thought...

ps: whoever was talking about Opeth concerts (too lazy to scroll back up), I agree. I didn't want to kill myself either. In fact, it was the shining moment of 2004 for me. Hearing April Etheral live blew me away. (that was when I realized it's more fun to go to concerts without knowing the setlist)

Opeth live absolutely kicked my arse, ripped out my my entrails, shoved 'em back in with a pitchfork and repeated. In a good way!
After the gig (and after I listen to any of their albums), I feel uplifted and happy. I feel like I kick butt.

When Virgin Black played (they were supporting, just before Opeth came on), that was when i felt like shooting myself. Dark, trudgy, gloomy songs with no 'hopeful' sounding parts, similar to My Dying Bride. After listening to them I feel like removing my own entrails.

I think that the lyrics of Opeth could be depressing if they were shoved along with some sorta MDB-esque gothic song. But with the music Opeth plays, the songs become a huge variety of emotion - sometimes depressing, sometimes uplifting, sometimes just plain ANGRY AND BRUTAL AND TR00.

And like some people have said here, I too have trouble listening to My Dying Bride for long periods of time. I once had a nap and had The Dreadful Hours playing. After a wacky dream involving some really angry bald dude, some place burning down and a baby half burnt to death, I woke up very, very depressed. Heh.

the thing about Opeth and other bands' negativity, is, it creates such an awesome negative space to compare your own experiences with, and it DOES have positive effects on people because, they think "wow, that song is pretty depressing. good thing my life isn't that shitty" and the music that achieves it, rocks.

quit listening to newer Opeth guys...Orchid has quite a few sad/depressing parts notably the main clean riff in Twilight is my robe, one of the best riffs of all time.

and yes, Shape of Despair is tits.

Like Steve Wilson once said, "The most beautiful music in the world is the dark, sad music"

dorian gray said:
then again, I listen to Rush (very positive and smiley in my opinion)
ps: whoever was talking about Opeth concerts (too lazy to scroll back up), I agree. I didn't want to kill myself either. In fact, it was the shining moment of 2004 for me. Hearing April Etheral live blew me away. (that was when I realized it's more fun to go to concerts without knowing the setlist)

woo, rush! "living in the limelight, the universal dream"...pretty positive/wikkid oowasome! yea seeing opeth was the pinnacle of the year for me actually...and i saw them in january...2004 was a pretty blegh year now that i think about it

dorian gray said:
My wife just bought the soundtrack to Garden State. While everyone I know loves the music on it, I cannot get into it. I'll agree that the songwriting is top-notch for what is intended, but I get no energy from it...... then again, I listen to Rush (very positive and smiley in my opinion) BUT they are infinitely more complex and talented than the bands on the Garden State soundtrack. - but this thread isnt about complexity so I will end with that thought...

simon & garfunkel, as well as nick drake are on the garden state soundtrack. ;)

Hmm, I think Opeth's songs are NOT negative. Compared to some of the morbid metal I listen to, Opeth are what you would call "meloncholy". I don't find Opeth depressing at all, but a soundtrack to a cetain "mood".
Between Opeth and My Dying Bride the bands auras are a sort of "beauty in darkness" kind of ideal. I think in an interview with Terrorizer, My Dying Bride explained, "We're so miserable that you can't stand it anymore".
However, I find, in a certain (perhaps) depressing, meloncholy mood that both Opeth and MDB are very uplifting in a very personal, solitary way.
Plenty of times I've listened to MDB or Opeth and those bands have uplifted me, symbolic of my sadness, as if I'm not alone in the way I feel.
Perhaps Benighted (both lyrically and musically) as I've listned to that song before I've gone to bed is pretty uplifting in a state of loneliness. Or the dramatic Opeth CD's Still Life and My Arms Your Hearse, wich could bring tears of joy to my eyes.
Opeth have a different effect on diferent people. Slayer is the type of band that I would riot to.
Opeth are a very emotive, dramatic band.

FUBAR said:
Like Steve Wilson once said, "The most beautiful music in the world is the dark, sad music"

Stop swimming is one of the most beautiful songs Ive heard.

I find morningrise kind of depressing, the sounds reminds me of Gothic by Paradise lost, which is kinda dark and depressing, but still they are good albums.

To me the best my dying bride album is 37.88% complete its not to depressing, following that its the dredful hours, when i first got that album i put it on and went to bed, the raven and the rose (with the scary noises) scared the crap out of me.

I was dissapointed how rude people were to virgin black, they were alright

I don't think Opeth is depressing at all, except for maybe one song... "Still Day Beneath The Sun" (bonus track on... i think Blackwater Park, I should look), that song really gets me down for some reason... but then I play Demon Of The Fall or something and I'm good again :loco:

I don't see negative lyrics on Opeth's music. But you're right. Yes has great lyrics though, they are awesome.

Themoor666 said:
and I think Opeth could indeed make great music, while infusing some positive themes, maybe lyrically. I mean if you think about it, there are some great bands that don't always talk about negative things, like Yes, Rush, Led Zeppelin etc...