Opeth Musical Future

Benighted Joe

Opethian
Oct 21, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
www.myspace.com
Helo..

I've thought about Opeth's musical future for a long time now.

I'd be delighted if their next album is an ultra-violent concept album with like
seven ten-minutes cast-in-darkness-opuses with awesome progressive
metal parts. With Mike's rhythmic serenity-painted-death-roars, rich clean
vocals :lol: and tasteful acoustic guitars over heavy riffs. I'd like to hear
psychadelic mellotron, Deliverance-guitar-riffs, precise and embellished
heavy drumming and flawless bass with octaves and shit! The songs should
only surface to mellow parts a couple of seconds to guide the music towards
the next heavy part. Now, wouldn't it be cool to hear Opeth's heaviest album
EVER?!

However the album turns out I'll be happy though! But I have thought about
this: I think Opeth's gonna become a progressive rockband one day. It's in
their nature. It's like Steven Wilson said in the documentary: "I think, with
Opeth, there's degree of musicality and sofistication which is [has got] nothing
to do with metal at all". Besides, Mike's getting older and has got a great passion
for prog-rock and stuff.

Personally, I'll always love Opeth (the members) and have the uttermost respect
for anything they do (really). And I'm not saying they're gonna turn mellow
over a year, but in time I can feel it coming. Somehow.

What do you think about Opeth's future? Do you think their gonna turn
more heavy or keep on trucking ?

Benighted Joe said:
... I don't think Opeth is going to turn any more heavy than GR!

I'm not sure about that... You see I heard him in a recent videointerview saying that the album will be inspired by Scott Walker's latest album... And in THAT case it might be REALLY intense. 'Cause when I listened to that Walker cd I got really scared; the music is honestly really terrifying. So we don't really know...

Opeth has surprised us earlier, but (imho) always in a positive - good - way. So, bring it on! :)

And btw I agree with you , B'Joe... I'm sure I will love the album!!

RiffBoy said:
I'm not sure about that... You see I heard him in a recent videointerview saying that the album will be inspired by Scott Walker's latest album... And in THAT case it might be REALLY intense. 'Cause when I listened to that Walker cd I got really scared; the music is honestly really terrifying. So we don't really know...

Opeth has surprised us earlier, but (imho) always in a positive - good - way. So, bring it on! :)

And btw I agree with you , B'Joe... I'm sure I will love the album!!

Yeah, that's true I also saw the interview...

Although if Opeth make a heavy album I'm even more certain that my prediction is
right. You see, I believe Opeth's has reached their turnstile - a turning point -
and if they make a heavy album this time around it will not negate my prediction
because I predicted they will become mellow in time. Hell, they may not even make
prog-rock as Opeth, but perhaps Mike will on his own?

Who knows really? Mike is a complicated, hardcore-metal-fan, but with a
passion for Cock ... Rock :loco: - I can't really explain, but when I hear him
"drone on" about rock, in interviews and on concerts, I can sense it coming. :)

techno? maybe.
but i was not kidding about disillusion. it's time for opeth for a drastic change, otherwise that's not progressive anymore... maybe not regressive also; ok, it's ungressive!

I sort of have a feeling they'd move away from the heavy stuff , I dont think Mikael is influenced by any death metal other than Morbid Angel. He seems to be more into prog rock, but at the same time, the heavy/clean stuff is what makes Opeth be Opeth. Also, didn't Mikael say in the DVD that he wants Damnation to be exclusive and special as the only all clean singing I think?

But if Opeth ever disbanded then who knows, maybe Mikael would make non-metal solo CD's and not really tour at all. It seems they're just recently been getting really popular and doing lots of tours, after being a band for 16 years. They just signed with Roadrunner too so I don't think they'd stop anytime soon.

Benighted Joe said:
It's like Steven Wilson said in the documentary: "I think, with
Opeth, there's degree of musicality and sofistication which is [has got] nothing
to do with metal at all".

It has even less to do with prog rock and Steven Wilson's tripe. That comment cracked me up in the doco, what an idiot :lol:

abcdefg said:
I sort of have a feeling they'd move away from the heavy stuff , I dont think Mikael is influenced by any death metal other than Morbid Angel. He seems to be more into prog rock, but at the same time, the heavy/clean stuff is what makes Opeth be Opeth. Also, didn't Mikael say in the DVD that he wants Damnation to be exclusive and special as the only all clean singing I think?

But if Opeth ever disbanded then who knows, maybe Mikael would make non-metal solo CD's and not really tour at all. It seems they're just recently been getting really popular and doing lots of tours, after being a band for 16 years. They just signed with Roadrunner too so I don't think they'd stop anytime soon.

...exactly.
i'm pretty sure mikael said in the documentary that they are still a death metal band and always will be. they're definently not going to disband as they're just now gaining mass popularity.

question. what the FUCK is it with all the black metal and metalcore fans hating opeth?

for my selfish personal tastes a return to MAYH style heavyness combined with BWP style production and less keys more fast pacey type guitar and more twim harmonics like leper affinity, that track still satifies me more than any other for some reason

I really think its how Mikael happens to be feeling at the time of recording (what he's listening to at moment, whether or not SW is producing etc)...because in reality...Mikael calls the shots and the other 3 have no say so. I think its going to be heavily prog influenced and I hope SW is producing which I am enjoying Prog A LOT right now so it's fine w/ me