Would Would Opeth Selling-Out Sound Like?

Labyrinth of Blindness

White Face, Haggard Grin
Jun 4, 2008
Tulsa, OK
There has been talk that Opeth is on the verge of "selling-out."

So my question to you (and this goes for anyone), what would it sound like to you if Opeth sold-out? What would they ultimately have to do for you personally to consider them sell-outs?

Here's how I imagine it (this may sound suspiciously familiar):

Album comes out with massive hit single that has all the pre-teens high-fiving themselves

Next album, members appear shorn and camera-friendly. Their album cover is a picture of smeared semen.
They sing 3 minute songs about love and loss - and still find the time to throw in a country song or two.

Their 'base' hate it, but they don't care by this point - they're too busy collecting Renaissance art for their yachts...

Yep - never thought Metallica would sell out either... never say never people

I think that it's far more likely that Opeth will 'jump the shark' in the sense that they will completely stray from their original artistic vision. The music won't be bad, but as the dam that has been barely containing Mike's vast array of diverse influences finally bursts, Opeth will begin to make Unexpect/Maudlin of the Well/Sigh etc. sound like Britney Spears. Most of our heads will explode and the survivors will be too baffled to comment.

In short, Opeth will never sell out. They will only lose their fan base by becoming incomprehensibly avant-garde.

Hypothetically speaking (because I agree with Crepuscularia), I think a 'sell-out' album would look like this:
- Self-titled
- The cover contains band members in various 'metal' poses
- Longest song on the album is 5 minutes
- Lyrics become politically charged

But then again, this could go for any band, really...

Just trying to get some opinions. Lots of people are talking about them selling out, and I just couldn't quite picture what that would sound like on my own.

How about not commenting on a thread that doesn't interest you instead of wasting your time (and mine) bolstering "shit thread"?? Thanks.

Not exactly "sellout", but I bet they would end up somewhere in the electronic-alternative-'prog' kind of sound. Maybe a fusion of Porcupine Tree, modern Anathema, Katatonia, electronic music etc. Lotsa effects, electronic sounds, ambience, bla bla. Maybe even with a heavy guitar riff or two thrown around.

Not exactly "sellout", but I bet they would end up somewhere in the electronic-alternative-'prog' kind of sound. Maybe a fusion of Porcupine Tree, modern Anathema, Katatonia, electronic music etc. Lotsa effects, electronic sounds, ambience, bla bla. Maybe even with a heavy guitar riff or two thrown around.

Dude, I think most of those guys you mentioned still live in their mom's basement... Steve Wilson may talk with a royal accent, but I don't think he lives in a castle just yet... :lol:

What a band sounds like when they "sell out" is pretty difficult to predict, especially with a band like Opeth, and also considering the definition of the phrase.

I think you first need to ask the question: What does it mean to sell out?

For me, selling out means that a musician sacrifices their creative freedom and desires for the sake of a different, undesirable creative direction that will seemingly lead to more popularity and profit.

So, let's say "death metal" becomes the next BIG thing in the music world, and there's a huge influx of fans and profitability to be had by jumping on the death metal bandwagon. If Carrie Underwood were to release a death metal album solely for the purpose of gaining profit, then her move could be considered as selling out.

If Opeth were to write an entire album of power/country ballads, because they were told that they could become the next big thing in Nashville and would sell millions of albums, then that could be considered selling out.

However, I should also state that I personally believe that a musician is not "selling out" simply because of selling more albums. So in my Carrie Underwood example, if she truly loves death metal and wants to release a death metal album, regardless of it's new famed popularity, then I don't believe she is selling out. She might be selling more records, but she wouldn't be comprising her creative integrity. Same goes for my Opeth example, if in fact they were passionate about creating a country/power ballad album.

Knowing that Mikael generally has a dislike for hip-hop and rap music, I think it would be fair to say that if Mike were to write a legitimate hip-hop album with the intention of gaining more popularity and profits (while also despising the music he's creating), then he'd be selling out.

Hey guys, anyone yet done electronic death metal? Lol, it could be the next great thing of the early 21st century.

Cant imagine Mike selling out, he has too much fun fucking with us lol. Opeth selling out i think would sound very much like old opeth riffs recycled, only slightly worse, with more predictable changes and transitions. Cant really see that happening though