Would Would Opeth Selling-Out Sound Like?

Very hyperthetical thread,will never happen but hey it's something new to discuss.I think Opeth changing genre would'nt go down to well,if they for example changed to a more metalcore sound to reach out to a mainstream audience like the path In Flames seem to have taken down lately!

Like porcelain heart only shorter and simpler - with a vampire-like musicvideo.

JK. Basically. ...no, JK.

Stadium tour in the U.S. opening for Metallica or Slipknot and Cradle of Filth in Europe. They are all wearing Opeth shirts on stage. Mikael then writes a concept album based off of Bram Stoker's Dracula while Mendez heals from a brawl he got into with Lars Ulrich over who can win in a fight - Lemmy or God.

EDIT: This more or less explains how you would know when it happened. Not so much what it would sound like. But I'm sure you've all figured this out already.

I think that I would start thinking that Opeth was "selling out" if I saw an album with very short tracks on it. While many of the musical aspects of Opeth now and through it's entire life as a band have not necessarily been unacceptable to the general populace-- in fact, I have shown some lighter Opeth (Face of Melinda for example) to people I consider "pop-heads" (it's like a metalhead, but broken) and they loved it. That said, the death metal growling part of Opeth (my favorite part) is something that would have to go for it to become really popular, but it's never been the sole style of vocals present, even on their heavier albums. Really, the only thing about Opeth that has NEVER changed and probably will ONLY change if an album specifically designed to make money is released is the fact that the vast majority of their songs are not designed to be played on the radio. While they don't follow a standard structure musically or lyrically (name one Opeth song with a repeated chorus. Okay, there's probably one or two but the point is it's not common) the main unavoidable, ever present difference between Opeth (music) and "pop" (noise) is the song length...
...and the quality, but I won't get into bashing Carrie Underwood just 'cause she sucks.
Hey guys, anyone yet done electronic death metal? Lol, it could be the next great thing of the early 21st century.

Listen to Psyclon Nine. I guess it's technically called "aggrotech" or some form of industrial, but it's basically electronic black metal. Sort of.

I think that I would start thinking that Opeth was "selling out" if I saw an album with very short tracks on it. While many of the musical aspects of Opeth now and through it's entire life as a band have not necessarily been unacceptable to the general populace-- in fact, I have shown some lighter Opeth (Face of Melinda for example) to people I consider "pop-heads" (it's like a metalhead, but broken) and they loved it. That said, the death metal growling part of Opeth (my favorite part) is something that would have to go for it to become really popular, but it's never been the sole style of vocals present, even on their heavier albums. Really, the only thing about Opeth that has NEVER changed and probably will ONLY change if an album specifically designed to make money is released is the fact that the vast majority of their songs are not designed to be played on the radio. While they don't follow a standard structure musically or lyrically (name one Opeth song with a repeated chorus. Okay, there's probably one or two but the point is it's not common) the main unavoidable, ever present difference between Opeth (music) and "pop" (noise) is the song length...
...and the quality, but I won't get into bashing Carrie Underwood just 'cause she sucks.

Listen to Psyclon Nine. I guess it's technically called "aggrotech" or some form of industrial, but it's basically electronic black metal. Sort of.

I understand your point, but surely it depends on the songs themselves rather than the length?..Napalm Death are not exactly radio friendly despite some songs lasting a matter of seconds!.

In general, rather than moaning about bands selling out, fans should stop selling out by jumping ship when "their" band becomes popular with other people.

Stadium tour in the U.S. opening for Metallica or Slipknot and Cradle of Filth in Europe. They are all wearing Opeth shirts on stage. Mikael then writes a concept album based off of Bram Stoker's Dracula while Mendez heals from a brawl he got into with Lars Ulrich over who can win in a fight - Lemmy or God.

EDIT: This more or less explains how you would know when it happened. Not so much what it would sound like. But I'm sure you've all figured this out already.

Obviously Lemmy would win. He's much, much older.

I would be able to tell if Opeth were selling out if the songs arrangements got lazy, the changeups got severely axed, songs got shorter, pop influences came in, or one of the main elements were lost like the growls. If Mikael stopped writing from the heart, things would get worse for the band. The record label can also influence and lead bands down the wrong paths , I felt Roadrunner had a little of that bad influence on Ghost reveries with the grand conjuration maybe. I think repetitivness is an enemy of Opeth... constant interesting interesting guitar ideas is what I enjoy most, the journey into darkness and light as well as the atmospheres and emotions portrayed by them.