Overhead Mic-ing techniques!

Yeah, I usually using the spaced pair technique. In the comparison I like the ORTF too!
... but for metal drums, i prefer to the spaced pair technique, because the stereo image is wider.

For you dudes using spaced pair technique, are you making sure the mics are all the same exact height? I read/heard that it doesn't matter and that you don't really have to worry about the height and that they'll be phase coherent no matter what. Not sure if that's true or not.

For you dudes using spaced pair technique, are you making sure the mics are all the same exact height? I read/heard that it doesn't matter and that you don't really have to worry about the height and that they'll be phase coherent no matter what. Not sure if that's true or not.

i make sure that both mics are the same distance from the floor, as well as equidistant from the center of the snare.

Hmm. Lets think what fucks up the phase.

Hmm. Distance from the source.

Hmm. Yes... it appears height WILL make a massive difference.

Hmm. Lets think what fucks up the phase.

Hmm. Distance from the source.

Hmm. Yes... it appears height WILL make a massive difference.

Yeah, I've always made sure that I keep them the same distance, but when I didn't (just to try it) it didn't seem to hurt anything really at all. As long as the kick/snare appeared in the middle it worked out quite well.

Yeah, I've always made sure that I keep them the same distance, but when I didn't (just to try it) it didn't seem to hurt anything really at all. As long as the kick/snare appeared in the middle it worked out quite well.

Well, zoom into your tracks to the sample level, and find a kick. Then compare the signals on the overhead tracks and the kick direct microphone. 'In-phase' would mean that all microphones receive the signal at the same time.

You'll most likely have a bit of a timing difference. Ears perceive this as 'mushy' and your drums will not have the power behind them that they should.

You can correct this by re-aligning the transients.

I dont bother about distance. i use my ears and try to capture the cymbals the best way possible. Many drummers have their cymbals at different levels (heights?) so phase issue is hard to not get either way. But i mainly spot mic cymbals

spaced pair. go for more cymbals on metal with sdc's and on rock more of an overall spread with LDC's

I loved how dry the Recorderman technique sounded, would work great in my shittay living room!

Been a while since I've used anything but spaced pair, but it's all dependent on the material. Spaced pair is probably best for the genres that most of us work on here.
I always go equal distance from the snare, but I'm gradually learning / noticing lots of variables that make it hard sometimes. Angle of the mics makes a big difference, so does the drummer's cymbal placement... like if one crash is in-between the snare and the mic, it's impossible to get the snare to sound really centred. Also if your mics are too close together (or another random variable), one cymbal might sound phasey bleeding into the other. Just gotta use your ears and be careful.