Overhead Mic-ing techniques!

thanks brother!
well that dude in the comparison was using LDC's and they sounded fine but last place i recorded at used SDC's and its sounded great so im sure either works fine!

Hello, I'm experimenting with this subject as we are speaking.

The thing is, I'm experiencing problems with getting GOOD sound together with both kick and snare dead center (when aiming for capturing full sounding kit with both shells and cymbals on a single bassdrum kit) with the A/B spaced technique.

If I'm getting them dead center, the sound is somewhat lacking (becouse of having to change microphone placement), to get them dead center I have to raise the mic's above the kit and put them equal distance from snare and kick drum)

The "best" sound according to me, is when placing the mic's close to the ears, or a little wider than the ears, this gives a very balanced frequency response of the drums and all the drums sounds great, but the snare and bass drum will not be in center and the stereo image a litte bit fucked up.

I actually can get the snare centered, but then the bassdrum will be out far to the right and with these mic's in the position described above it's really sounding "full" and defined which gives me problems when increasing OH's level

So my questions is:

1. how am I supposed to approach this to get this full sounding OH's and a balanced and good stereo image?
2. What do you guys prefer when OH micing, taking much cymbals alone and letting the close mics handle the shells? Or capture the whole kit and "rely" on the OH's more?
3. When the mix is dense, and the close mic'd snare/bassdrum and possibly some trigged samples is up, will a slight non-centered snare and bassdrum matter much? could I live with it if it results in better sounding OH's?

I'm using Cad m179 mic's, great mic's by the way!

Hey dude, I normally aim to get the whole kit in the overheads, though personally I'm not fussed too much about the kick as it's likely to be totally sample replaced anyway. I'd go for getting a nice balance and making sure the snare is centred, and just stick to your close mic/triggers for the kick.

+1 to the 179's being great mic's. Set up as crossed 8's for room mic's they sound awesome, and if you can deal with the spill they are awesome tom mic's! I've never used them as overheads yet though, will have to give that a try sometime.

Hey dude, I normally aim to get the whole kit in the overheads, though personally I'm not fussed too much about the kick as it's likely to be totally sample replaced anyway. I'd go for getting a nice balance and making sure the snare is centred, and just stick to your close mic/triggers for the kick.

+1 to the 179's being great mic's. Set up as crossed 8's for room mic's they sound awesome, and if you can deal with the spill they are awesome tom mic's! I've never used them as overheads yet though, will have to give that a try sometime.

Interesting, I've tried them on many sources from toms, snare, acoustic guitars, and they shine on everything actually, except from voice where they can be a tad harsh and "cheap" sounding with cheap treble response to my ears.

I've tried them against the audio technica ATM450 on OH which seem to be a very popular OH mic and there isn't even a comparision to my ears.

But anyway, back to topic, if you aim to capture the whole kit, won't the kick in the OH's "disturb" the sampled one in any way if you turn them up and the kick is not dead center, I mean, won't you notice a slight change in position?

This might not be any big problem... and I've not really experienced any problems with it in the end but at the same time I know it's these small differences that makes a recording sound really PRO!

To be honest the amount of kick in the overheads isn't too loud because of the drum projecting horizontally (compared to the rest of the kit, which projects more vertically) and normally my close mic'd/triggered kick is so loud in the mix that the little kick that's being captured in the overheads doesn't make much of a difference.