Overhead mics on a budget?

+1 on the Oktava, I have also used the Audix F15's before, they are cheap but surprisingly decent.

I have recently found love for the AT2020

http://www.thomann.de/gb/audio_technica_at2020.htm

Ya I know LDC but they really sound good. Lots of body,.

I'm digging LDCs more than SDCs too, and the word "body" is exactly what describes the main difference between the sound of the two... I prefer LDCs because they usually capture the tone of the shells (the wood) better than SDCs. I have AT4041, and although they sound fantastic as OHs, when I did a shootout I realized that I like the sound of NT1A much more!... AT just lacked that middle presence, the tone, the sound of the wood, and it was a bit thin... but the AT is on the hihat and I wouldn't trade it for anything else! :)

Oktavas of course. AT-4041s are good too

I'm digging LDCs more than SDCs too, and the word "body" is exactly what describes the main difference between the sound of the two... I prefer LDCs because they usually capture the tone of the shells (the wood) better than SDCs. I have AT4041, and although they sound fantastic as OHs, when I did a shootout I realized that I like the sound of NT1A much more!... AT just lacked that middle presence, the tone, the sound of the wood, and it was a bit thin... but the AT is on the hihat and I wouldn't trade it for anything else! :)

In my experience 4041's are not good at all. If that's your only reference, I can understand that "capture the tone of the shell better" comment because that's exactly what they are missing. Thinest sounding mic you'll come across.
-Maybe they work at spot micing cymbal though-
But saying SDC can't capture the whole sound of drums compared to LDC is not accurate at all.

In my experience 4041's are not good at all. If that's your only reference, I can understand that "capture the tone of the shell better" comment because that's exactly what they are missing. Thinest sounding mic you'll come across.
-Maybe they work at spot micing cymbal though-
But saying SDC can't capture the whole sound of drums compared to LDC is not accurate at all.

Oh, no, I'm not saying the SDCs "can't capture" it, that's why I said "usually" (and that word also refers to my limited experience with other microphones)... I would give anything for a pair of KM184s in that sense because they are obviously able to capture everything an OH mic is supposed to capture...

I still own a pair of f15s, they do ok but it's night and day different when you go up to even a $500 pair of sdc mics.

Oh no doubt, I just meant if you are strapped they can help you get through a session with decent results. I highly recommend NT5 or MK012 as the cheapest to go for OH's if you can swing them.

I've heard that M Audio Pulsar's are meant to be very good on a budget. Really best bet is to keep your eye on ebay and see what's going cheap. Rode NT5's, AKG C391B, Audio Technica ATM450, Oktava MK012, CAD M179, any of them will get the job done.

+1 on cad m179, if you want full sounding kit in OH's (and like your room) you can't go wrong, sometimes I end up with only the OH's up... depending on music type :Smokin:

-1 on ATM450, have them too, too much harshness going on. Guess they might be better than some tho, as many recommend them. doesn't give me the hard banana tho

Oh, no, I'm not saying the SDCs "can't capture" it, that's why I said "usually" (and that word also refers to my limited experience with other microphones)... I would give anything for a pair of KM184s in that sense because they are obviously able to capture everything an OH mic is supposed to capture...

I borrowed a pair of km184s for my last session and I will never use another overhead mic again. The detail they capture is phenomenal

+1 on the Oktava, I have also used the Audix F15's before, they are cheap but surprisingly decent.

I own the oktavas and had used F15's a good few times prior to getting the oktavas. The oktavas are definately better but I picked up my own F15 when they had them for $50 on musicians friend with a cable. Worth it! Works great as a spot ride/crash mic. I originally bought it for hats but it doesn't sound great on them - too midrangey or something I dunno!

My Red5 RV4 pair has worked AMAZINGLY well. I have no complaints about my overhead sounds, and no one ever has either. Only thing is I'd probably like a hi-hat and ride spot mic as well.

That being said, I'm stil wanting some modded Oktavas.

It's your overheads! probley the only part of your kit that is all natural. Don't go cheap. I just moved from the nt5 capsules to the km184s a week ago. The nt5s are great for the money and if your going cheap no matter what anyone says get the nt5s for sure.

Go rent a set of 184s.......... You will sell whatever you have in order to put these in your mic locker.