Overheads?

booyah14

Dec 1, 2005
Alright the last thing I need to buy before I can start recording some full scale bands is a nice pair of overheads. I know most of the good sound comes from the room itself (which I'm working on), but I still want some mics that will give me a good sound. I should say I will mostly record heavier bands, so this usually relates to heavier hitters on drums. A lot of people have recommended the sm 81s which definitely seems like a solid choice. I have heard these live and heard a few rough demos using these and I thought they were solid. A lot of people have been suggesting the Josephsons as well. Today on another message board, a few people were heavily pushing the Microtech Gefell M300. I have always been a big fan of most any Microtech Gefell stuff so it got me wondering about this option. I really don't know how heavy hitters might change my mind for one of these mics so I figured since you guys record a good amount of heavy bands I would ask here. So any of those 3 please feel free to offer any insight or suggest something else. The price range should be around the cost for a pair of any of those mics.

I can personally recommend SM81's. I have them since half a year back and I am very satisfied. I am myself a very hard hitting drummer and they work perfect for me, as well as for recordings with other drummers, hard hitting and not.

Of course, the best thing you can do is to try to borrow some different mics, do some tests and take your pick after that.

booyah14 said:
So any of those 3 please feel free to offer any insight or suggest something else. The price range should be around the cost for a pair of any of those mics.
The 81's are solid and worth having, but I personally prefer the akg 415's or the josephson c42's. Both very nice microphones. I have no experience w/ the geffells tho.

414's work pretty well as overheads, as do 451's. I'm not crazy about SM81's for overheads, they always seem to pick up some harsh tones of the kit. If you're spot micing cymbals, the 81 works well, as does the 451. I'd also look into Audio Technica AT4033 and 4040 mics. Both of them sound great, are cheap, and have a lot of applications.

The Josephson c42s sound like they are the real deal. I seriously don't think I have heard one complaint about these as overheads. The 81's seem to have pretty solid reputation. I would definitely love to pick up the km 184s but I think they will be a little out of my price range, as I believe they are around 2000 for a pair. I will definitely look into the options that you guys have mentioned. Thanks for the input because I feel that this is one thing that I would like to have something that just isn't budget, but something that I can use for a long time.

While we are at it, does anyone know of a store, internet store, something that has fairly cheap deals compared to other places? Most prices on the mics I have been looking at have stuck with the retail price.

booyah14 said:
While we are at it, does anyone know of a store, internet store, something that has fairly cheap deals compared to other places? Most prices on the mics I have been looking at have stuck with the retail price.

http://www.atlasproaudio.com

microtech M300 - $750 EACH
JOSEPHSON C-42 mP - $899 (MATCHED PAIR)

www.sweetwater.com

SM-81 - $350 Each
KM-184 set - $1600 (matched pair)

There are many other dealers but I've dealt w /these.

i like the km 184s, tlm 103, 414s, and ESPECIALLY the dpa 4011's. the dpas are hands down the best oh mics i've used. if your budget is good check em out. but the other mics i use really depend on the room (especially) and the cymbal. the room to me really makes all the difference in the ohs. well the whole drum kit really.

I've never personally used them, but I have a buddy who has had great success with a pair of RODE NTK's as overheads. I know a lot of people complain about them, though. Oddly enough, I think the last few Nickelback albums has had NTK's as both overheads for drums and were used for vocals.

Matt Crooks said:
That's what I use, and I love them. I've used others in the past, but these get me the best results. The Gefells do look nice, but I have no experience with them (yet)

yeah they´re great though many people seem to prefer the older model , the km 84. I´ve never tried the older model so that leaves me the same. Shure sm81 are great too.

silverwulf said:
I've never personally used them, but I have a buddy who has had great success with a pair of RODE NTK's as overheads. I know a lot of people complain about them, though. Oddly enough, I think the last few Nickelback albums has had NTK's as both overheads for drums and were used for vocals.

i´ve got 2 rode microphones: nt1000 and k2. I´ve also used the nt2 and the classic II. IMO the k2 is the only that i would buy again. The new capsule sounds way better: less sibilance and less brightness ( rode´s / cheap condensers reknown negative features). Nevertheless i would lookinto Audio Technica instead of Rode.

I have a pair of 414's and a pair of SM81's. Can't really say which pair I like better. I've altered depending on drummer and especially the cymbals. Don't think you can go wrong with either one of those.

kryckan said:
I have a pair of 414's and a pair of SM81's. Can't really say which pair I like better. I've altered depending on drummer and especially the cymbals. Don't think you can go wrong with either one of those.

I think the sm81 is pretty harsh. I think it belongs on stage, not in the studio. Can be good for hi hats.

The 414 is gritty, but sometimes it works nice. the 414 with CK12 capsule is a different story...