Jeff Loomis - the recording chronicles (2011)

Jeff is amazing but since DHIADW (where the solos were never exagerated but very into the songs) and something on Enemies of Reality, he lost lot of "emotion" on his solos...they have a lot more speed, lot more shred....but they lacks what I liked about him.
Check the solo on Inside 4 walls...it's a catchy song with an awesome sweep but you don't feel like "ok...just another sweep a 100000km/h"...it's a technical solo but you don't feel it. Don't know how to explain...when the solos fit the song at 100% you don't put the attention on the solo but on the whole song.
My 2 cent

Jeff is amazing but since DHIADW (where the solos were never exagerated but very into the songs) and something on Enemies of Reality, he lost lot of "emotion" on his solos...they have a lot more speed, lot more shred....but they lacks what I liked about him.
Check the solo on Inside 4 walls...it's a catchy song with an awesome sweep but you don't feel like "ok...just another sweep a 100000km/h"...it's a technical solo but you don't feel it. Don't know how to explain...when the solos fit the song at 100% you don't put the attention on the solo but on the whole song.
My 2 cent

Makes sense. I guess also we've grown accustomed to his stuff and now it takes a lot for him to write/perform something that will amaze us once again.

My 2 cent

Agreed, 100%! The solos on DHIADW I think were amazing and conveyed a ton of emotion--something I haven't felt from his solos since. I also loved his riff work on that album, as well as on Politics of Ecstasy. I think the coolest thing he's done since DHIADW that completely knocked me on my ass was his guitar work on the song "Born". My gawd... those arpeggios during the chorus are awesome and fit perfectly with the song. I will still buy the album just to support the instrumental guitar shred movement no matter what.

My personal opinion thinks that ever since he's gotten all of these endorsements and doing clinics, that he's been pushed to shred and show-off more to catch the attention of wannabe intro-guitarist shredders that will beg their mommy and daddy to buy them a Loomis Schecter so they can play like Jeff. lol. I think Jeff totally has the ability to write melodic solos and groovy riffs still, but just either isn't motivated to do so, or he's being nudged in the other direction by his endorsers. If that makes sense. Just a thought.

Anyway the stereo image of the first part of the teaser is totally fucked up (like 70% to the right), as Aaron said.
It seems lot better than the first solo...good sound

My 2 cent

When I said the very same things people bashed me too much over here, I guess our land lord wasn't happy with what I said and so all people followed

Thanks ! Sounds like a cool real song and not like a shred-fest which is good. I hope listening to the whole album will give me the same feeling, even if of course there's gonna be some shred and i like it if it's not overdone.

I love the "welcome to my mental asylum" vibe of this track. Thanks to Insahn for that.

EDIT : production is great, BUT i feel the rythm guitars are a bit too low in the mix. But then again maybe this album is more song and/or lead guitars-driven and less rythm guitars-driven ?

I love the part at 2"25. Odd jazz-ish soloing FTW. And no stereo encoding fuckup this time it seems :)

It is just the whole tone scale man, nothing jazz about that hahaha. I noticed at that part that his hands aren't doing what you're hearing...he starts ascending at a point in that run but in the track he is descending the whole way. I thought you were actually hearing what hes playing in these videos but I guess hes miming to the album track. I guess the sound in these videos is exactly the final master of the cd then?

It is just the whole tone scale man, nothing jazz about that hahaha. I noticed at that part that his hands aren't doing what you're hearing...he starts ascending at a point in that run but in the track he is descending the whole way. I thought you were actually hearing what hes playing in these videos but I guess hes miming to the album track

for some reason it sounded jazzy to me... but now i hindsight i guess you're right and i don't know my theory so... :)

Maybe gipsy then ? :) Reminds me of some stuff Emil Werstler would play in Daath.

Anyway, whatever that is, it sounds awesome.

GoPro? I love that kind of footage.

It was Jeff's idea, and we actually used his Flip camera for that angle...a bunch of sloppy gaffing tape to hold it in place, and we were good to go, haha.

I noticed at that part that his hands aren't doing what you're hearing...he starts ascending at a point in that run but in the track he is descending the whole way. I thought you were actually hearing what hes playing in these videos but I guess hes miming to the album track. I guess the sound in these videos is exactly the final master of the cd then?

Good eye on that part! I didn't notice that during editing, although I also didn't go crazy spending an excessive amount of time making sure everything was 100% flawless. Yes, it's just a miming, designed to show everyone what it basically looks like when he plays the material; the audio is from the finished album.

It was Jeff's idea, and we actually used his Flip camera for that angle...a bunch of sloppy gaffing tape to hold it in place, and we were good to go, haha.

Nice! I actually have a clamp for my GoPro that I bought specifically for that kind of footage. I'll be at the LA show with the Safety Fire guys - maybe run the idea of sticking mine on his guitar for a song or two by him?