Jeff Loomis - the recording chronicles (2011)

Aaron Smith

Envisage Audio
Feb 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
Piss, I spelled "chronicles" wrong...

Hey dudes, just wanted to get a fresh thread launched, as the week has come for the album recording to begin! I'll try to get back here periodically to upload pictures, answer questions, and just make general updates about what's going on.

dirkkit1.jpg

Dirk traveled with his cymbals, snare, and kick pedals. The kit is a rental from SIR Seattle (Tama Superstar), which we put new heads on a day earlier. The Meinls sound awesome, not harsh at all.

Here's the input list:

Kick - Audix D6 - Vintech 4073
Kick - reverse wired NS-10 speaker - Vintech 4073
Snare top - Audix i5 - API 7600
Snare bottom - Neumann KM100 - Vintech 4073
Tom 1 - Sennheiser MD421 - Neve 33115
Tom 2 - Sennheiser MD421 - Neve 33115
Tom 3 - Sennheiser MD421 - Neve 33115
Tom 4 - Sennheiser MD421 - Neve 33115
OH L - ATM 4051 (with Microtech Gefell M300 capsule) - UA 2-610
OH R - ATM 4051 (with Microtech Gefell M300 capsule) - UA 2-610
Hat - Microtech Gefell M300 - Focusrite ISA 428
Ride - Neumann KM184 - Focusrite ISA 428
China - Josephson C42 - Focusrite ISA 428
Room mono- Coles 4040 - Vintech 4073
Room L - Coles 4038 - Crane Song Flamingo
Room R - Coles 4038 - Crane Song Flamingo

No audio clips just yet but I should be able to get something posted during the week. Today was just a drum tuning/set up/mic placement/snare shootout day, and tomorrow the actual tracking begins. Jeff and I will be getting a lot of video footage throughout this whole project and hopefully putting out video blogs along the way, but no promises that we'll take the time to edit any of the footage until after the tracking is all done ;)

Who is the drummer, Dirk Verbeuren?
I'd love to hear some unprocessed tracks! I own a Tama Superstar myself and I'd really like to know what kind of sounds a pro can get out of it. I like that drum!
Which heads are you using? Looks like Evans EC2 on the Toms and propably a G1 on the snare. Do you have any information on resonant heads and bassdrum heads?

*Bookmarks thread*

I have no questions presently, but immense gratitude and thanks can't be conveyed enough; any-and-all information released is greatly appreciated.

DSCN6214-1.jpg

Aaron, you must have been reading my mind. I was intending on making a thread this morning to ask you if you've started yet and how things were going. :)

Looking good Aaron.

EC2's...... Mmmmmm!!! Not sure if want. Bad experience with those sadly!

I just used some Ec2's on the band i'm working with now and the toms came out sounding AMAZING! Having a good drummer helps as well.

I recognize the album on the bottom right as Zero Order Phase, but what's the other one?

That would be 'Avalanche of Worms', an instrumental album spearheaded by the Daath guitarists. There's video floating around of Loomis giving Emil Werstler props for his playing style and a vice-versa video.

Check out 'Dura Mater' on youtube for one of their heavier shred songs.

I'll keep all videos posted Loomis related out of relevancy to the thread. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want the snare in the centre:
overheads.jpg

To be honest, for metal, most of the times you don't want a lot of snare in the overheads anyway:

talleyOHs.jpg