Overkill - ReliXIV

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Overkill – ReliXIV
Spitfire Records – SPT15159-2ADV – March 22nd, 2005 (USA)
Regain Records - RR058 - March 21st 2005 (Europe)
By Jason Jordan

overkill.jpg

My introduction to Overkill, funnily enough, came at the hands of a Christian, propaganda video entitled “Hell’s Bells.” In said video – which utilized the popular AC/DC song as its moniker – Christianity proponents exposed secular music that purportedly glorified Satan and, sure enough, the creators of ReliXIV could be found on the video. Memories aside, this is my first full-length encounter with Overkill, and I’ll hazard a guess that this isn’t the best they have to offer.

The aging thrashers are pretty straight-laced on this recording, even though the production is intentionally dirty and gritty. I enjoyed the immaculate, guitar wizardry that accompanied most of the tracks, however, and the guitar solos were perhaps my favorite trait found on ReliXIV. Now, Overkill’s vocals have always left me with a bad taste in my mouth; it’s no different here. I could do without the – at times – high-pitched squawking, but I’m positive that veteran fans will feel at ease with it. Songs such as “Within Your Eyes,” “Love,” and “A Pound of Flesh” are relatively innocuous, while songs like “Bats in the Belfry,” “Play the Ace,” and “Old School” are essentially mundane. The latter tend to utilize devices such as shouts, primitive stop/start techniques, and instrument dropouts, which usually don’t work in their favor.

Overall, I can’t say that I’m compelled to go out and buy any of the band’s previous releases, but it was a suitable introduction nevertheless. Will fanatics flock to ReliXIV? That is a rhetorical question or, more likely, one that I’ll shy away from.

7/10

Official Overkill website
Official Regain Records website
Official Spitfire Records website