Overwhelming in the start of mixing

I'm just going to jump in to mention the importance of the 150-400 in bass, sure you cut places for clarity and want to leave some room for guitars but its this area that makes "bass" audible on bandwidth limited speakers. Not to mention this is where the "glue" with the guitars seems to happen.

I like the idea of your post....help some of the newer guys gain some traction and get moving on a mix. Unfortunately, those same newbies may take those values/frequencies as absolutes. It's important for people to understand why you do something.

When I started out and I would read what people do I'd just do what others were doing...

For example I would see....HPF kick at 60HZ (for example)...so what do I do. I HPF at 60Hz and move along. No idea WHY I was HPF at 60Hz. Next thing I know I've mixed my song to all of other peoples frequencies and presets with no idea wtf I was doing. In the end it sounded like complete ASS and I had no idea why because I was following all of these "proven recipes".

With that being said...I agree that trimming your low end is a good first step to free that space up for the instruments that need it (bass/kick drum/etc) and give yourself some more headroom so cymbals and guitars and all the other stuff isn't taking up valuable energy.

I don't quite agree with the LPF on all those instruments either...but who am I to say. Again, people should make these changes based on the sound they are looking for...not what others are doing. If it works for you and gives you the sound you want....keep doing it. But for the newbies....don't just cut high end on everything blindly. Cutting out your air can really deaden some instruments and make the mix flat and boring. Experiment....

my $0.02...