OW! (setting up action on a used guitar)

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
Hey guys, I just picked up and RG7321 for $150 (was a steal for me) and I am having some trouble setting it up. I like a super low action that plays really fast and when i bought this guitar the action was pretty high. The neck has just a tiny bow in it so I don't think its the neck. I managed to lower the strings to a reasonably low height but now the pins that you put the allen key in are sticking out alot and it honestly hurts my wrist a bit to play. is there something i'm doing wrong? I have never set up a guitar with this kind of bridge so maybe I'm doing it wrong

bs3b2.jpg

Spend the next few days tweaking the neck bow, and try to pick up some new pins. Or you could buff them down with some sandpaper if it's a sharp edge that hurts you.

Always adjust the neck first. You want it fairly straight with just a bit of relief. Fret the 6th string at the 1st fret with your left hand and 17th fret with your right. You should see a small amount of relief under the 6th string at the 9th fret. I'd say about a business card thickness, even less if you like. Just make sure you don't go beyond straight and actually back-bow the neck. Only use a 1/4-turn at a time with truss rod adjustments. A little goes a long way.

Once the neck is adjusted, then do the action. Adjust the bridge saddle height. Setting the saddles real low for a low action means the allen screw will stick up above the saddles, and yeah, they can be uncomfortable for your right palm. You can replace them with shorter allen screws if it bothers you too much. You could probably find them at a good fastener supply store or online.

Lastly, do the intonation. Tune each open string and then check the note at the 12th fret. If it's sharp, adjust the saddle away from the nut. If it's flat, adjust the saddle towards the nut. (Adjust, retune, and recheck. Repeat until it's perfect. Set the intonation with new strings so it's accurate.)

I do what 53Crëw explained.
But I take it a step back and straighten out the neck so its flat and then use a straight edge to check that the frets are at an even height.
If they aren't your gonna have a hard job getting a really low action.

Bolts line up fine with Neck Shims (have the 7421). But I'd try to get it setup without one first.

Does it still have stock pups?

I do what 53Crëw explained.
But I take it a step back and straighten out the neck so its flat and then use a straight edge to check that the frets are at an even height.
If they aren't your gonna have a hard job getting a really low action.

Bolts line up fine with Neck Shims (have the 7421). But I'd try to get it setup without one first.

Does it still have stock pups?

Yes I still unfortunately have stock pups (hopefully i can snag some used pups for 150, if not I'm shit on cash until I get paid). Its weird though, I think the stock pops sounds alot better than the EMG 81/85's on my explorer. Maybe the local music shop wired them poorly, they were always so harsh and I could never really see transients when I would record it (although I guess that's what actives will do.) I went into that same shop the other day and there was a longer haired metalhead dude working, I asked if he had any 7 string pups and he says "There are pickups specifically for 7 strings? huh"

53Crëw;10123934 said:
Always adjust the neck first. You want it fairly straight with just a bit of relief. Fret the 6th string at the 1st fret with your left hand and 17th fret with your right. You should see a small amount of relief under the 6th string at the 9th fret. I'd say about a business card thickness, even less if you like. Just make sure you don't go beyond straight and actually back-bow the neck. Only use a 1/4-turn at a time with truss rod adjustments. A little goes a long way.

Once the neck is adjusted, then do the action. Adjust the bridge saddle height. Setting the saddles real low for a low action means the allen screw will stick up above the saddles, and yeah, they can be uncomfortable for your right palm. You can replace them with shorter allen screws if it bothers you too much. You could probably find them at a good fastener supply store or online.

Lastly, do the intonation. Tune each open string and then check the note at the 12th fret. If it's sharp, adjust the saddle away from the nut. If it's flat, adjust the saddle towards the nut. (Adjust, retune, and recheck. Repeat until it's perfect. Set the intonation with new strings so it's accurate.)

Awesome! I will do this tonight and see what happens