Oyvind Haegeland's influences

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Who do you think was Oyvind influenced by the most when he was doing the Spiral Architect songs? His phrasing and vocal melodies remind me of Devon Graves from Psychotic Waltz -- no one else has such unique and complex vocal lines. Also, John Arch may be another influence. Other than these two, I can't think of any.

Has Oyvind ever commented on this by the way?

Cheers!

His singing reminds me of Tony Mills and Tate.

His vocal lines on the other hand,haven't heard such unique vocal lines in a long time,reminds me of Gregoor van der Loo meets Geoff Tate.

Gregoor van der Loo was hugely influenced by Arch. I am a huge fan of Psychotic Waltz as well as anything that has Arch on it. I like APSOG a lot, probably my favorite FW cd, but my favorite Fates Warning era has Arch. That guy is a monster. :headbang:

Mr.Asgeir,do you know if Oyvind has ever had any proper teaching? or is he self learned?

I received a few hours of classical training when I was 17 and again when I was 20-21.

Back when I was a young boy I started singing along to Saxon, Kiss and Judas Priest albums, and went from there to Mötley Crüe, Iron Maiden and Hanoi Rocks. After a short time singing in a band I started listening to more progressive music and my influences were Rob Halford, John Arch, Geoff Tate, Ronnie James Dio and John Cyriis. They are still my biggest influences today.

What got me into the whole band thing was actually Vince Neil. I wanted to be on stage, party and meet a lot of girls, just like he did. I was 17 years old ...

Regarding Devon Graves/Buddy Lackey I heard a few songs early in the 90s and back then I didn't really care since he sounded too "rock" for me and not enough "metal". I heard the band again after joining Spiral Architect and learned to like his unique way of singing. Now I love the band and I hear that he may has influenced me more than I have realized.

John Cyriis is one of the most underrated vocalists ever and he is one of my favorites. I never thought he was among your biggest influences. Your vocals in Manitou - Entrance has some Ray Alder feel. Were you influenced by him as well?

John Cyriis is one of the most underrated vocalists ever and he is one of my favorites. I never thought he was among your biggest influences.
:lol:

Your vocals in Manitou - Entrance has some Ray Alder feel. Were you influenced by him as well?
Yes, to a certain point. Also Steve Benito from Heir Apparent, Midnight, Bruce Dickinson and Demis Roussos.

Btw, Manitou will start to rehearse again soon ...;)

What amazes me about Oyvind vocal lines,is his phrasing witch is particularly fast,and with his vibrato,blends pretty well,not to mention his backing vocals,rarely are on the same pitch as the main one,that gives a pretty cool atmosphere,not to mention the growls!

Cool,since both Asgeir and Oyvind is present,could any of you answer me what in god's name Oyvind sings at the cloud constructor? (near the end,4:05 to be exact)

What amazes me about Oyvind vocal lines,is his phrasing witch is particularly fast,and with his vibrato,blends pretty well,not to mention his backing vocals,rarely are on the same pitch as the main one,that gives a pretty cool atmosphere,not to mention the growls!
Thank you for the kind words, Zamagna.
Cool,since both Asgeir and Oyvind is present,could any of you answer me what in god's name Oyvind sings at the cloud constructor? (near the end,4:05 to be exact)

Emptiness struck as he realized
There’s no answer to “who am I? what am I?”
He then saw why men must construct for themselves
A Cloud of Unknowing
Ergo, not in a god's name ...;)

Öyvind;9832325 said:
Regarding Devon Graves/Buddy Lackey I heard a few songs early in the 90s and back then I didn't really care since he sounded too "rock" for me and not enough "metal". I heard the band again after joining Spiral Architect and learned to like his unique way of singing. Now I love the band and I hear that he may has influenced me more than I have realized.

hey thanks for the information Öyvind man! I guess that Pyschotic Waltz is a influence of Spiral Architect and overall it might have influenced the music and the vocal lines...