Ozzfest Review 2005

T_man357

Locked & Loaded
Jan 7, 2004
U.S.A.
web.archive.org
I was at the kickoff of Ozzfest last night and I guess all & all it wasn't that bad..
Not as good as last year.....But O.K.

2nd Stage: Basically the whole 2nd stage lineup sucked real bad!!!
The only band I really wanted to see was Mastodon...But I was still partying
in the parking lot when they were on.....Killswitch Engage were a fucking joke!! Rob Zombie was good, He did some pretty cool shit including partial covers of Van Halen, James Gang & Lynyrd Skynyrd then Zakk Wylde came out and they started harrassing each other about the Red Sox & Yankees
(And since I can't stand baseball...This did nothing for me!!)

Main Stage:
In Flames - Were nothing special!! To me they are one of those bands who sound like every other band.

BLS - Were GREAT!!! Zakk was out of his fucking mind with showing off!!
He dropped both his white polka dotted Rhoads "V" and his orange Bullseye
Les Paul guitars into the crowd while leaning down playing with his teeth & behind his back funny stuff!!

Shadows Fall - Were un fucking believable!!! very high intensity, there fucking drummer is sick..His double bass sounds like a damn M60 capping off rounds....This was my 4th time seeing these guys and they haven't disappointed yet!!

Mudvayne - I can't stand em...So I went up on the lawn for a few beers..
They could've been good...But probably sucked...People will have to see them
if they want to know how they are.

Iron Maiden - Were AWESOME!!!! seriously I just knew after seeing these guys that they were going to steal the show (Like Priest did last year)
They just did tunes from the 1st four albums....Bruce was crazy as hell!!
For some reason they had 3 guitarists Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, and some blond guy who was just as big a fucking ham as Zakk was earlier in the night
This guy fought Eddie with his guitar, was throwing the fucking thing in the air
(Real High) and just raising all sorts of hell in general..And Steve Harris...what the hell can be said...The guys a bass playing genius!! GREAT SET!!!

Black Sabbath - Well after seeing Iron Maiden these guys were just an afterthought in my mind....Then they started their set.....All I can say is WOW!! Ozzy came out like he was in his fucking 20s!!! Jumping around with this big ass smile that he never lost all night!! They did The Wizard among other songs that you don't hear live everyday and were insane!!!
I hate to possibly bum out all the Iron Maiden fans.....But Black Sabbath were the BEST band of the night!! I've seen them 5 times now and this was the best I've ever seen them....I don't know if it's because it was the 1st date and they had a ton of energy to burn and if they'll lose it as the tour goes on. But all I can tell you is that they OWNED Ozzfest last night!!!! And as good as some of the other bands were.....That's quite an accomplishment!!

At least Sabbath and Maiden owned and the main stage wasn't bad. Only bands I really want to see on the second stage is Trivium (I don't know why, but they guys ain't half bad).

I'm leaving in about 6 or 7 hours for the CT show
headbob.gif

Flying to Denver on Aug. 9th to see Maiden,Mastadon & Rob Zombie. :hotjump: :hotjump: then up to San Francisco on Aug. 13 to see
the Ozzfest. No doubt Maiden is ruling all :worship: :worship:

Looking forward to seeing Mastadon, In Flames and Shadows Fall again live, just not looking forward to the outdoor aspect/sound quality/length away from stage!

Haven't seen Sabbath since 1984 so this should be a flashback! o_O :headbang: :headbang:

Sounds like you had an all around great time there T-man! thanks for sharing :wave:

T_man357 said:
Mudvayne - I can't stand em...So I went up on the lawn for a few beers..
They could've been good...But probably sucked...People will have to see them
if they want to know how they are.

I saw Mudvayne on the Ozzy Merry Mayhem tour a few years back ..... They Sucked!!!! Absolutely Awful band ... and it didnt help some asshole farted just as they started their set so not only did they sound like shit but it smelled like shit too

That blonde guy in Maiden has been around for awhile. His name's Janick Gers. He replaced Adrian Smith when he left, and they didn't have the heart to kick him out when he came back. Not giving you a hard time here....just letting you know who he is. He's been in the band for quite a few years now, dating back to No Prayer For The Dying (or something). He played in a few bands before that, including one incarnation of Ian Gillan's band etc.

Hey, how about some setlists? I've heard Sabbath is changing it up this year....

ElectricWiz said:
That blonde guy in Maiden has been around for awhile. His name's Janick Gers. He replaced Adrian Smith when he left, and they didn't have the heart to kick him out when he came back. Not giving you a hard time here....just letting you know who he is

Thanks man!! I didn't think you were giving me a hard time...I worded it like that so if anyone knew they'd be inclined to let me in on it. He was really fucking GREAT!!! So thanks again!!

ElectricWiz said:
Hey, how about some setlists? I've heard Sabbath is changing it up this year....

From my memory I'll give it a go....In no particular order.....

The Wizard
Into the void
After Forever
Dirty Women
Iron Man
Paranoid
Black Sabbath
Children of the grave
War Pigs

Iron Maiden:

Wrathchild
Number Of The Beast
Run to the hills
Running Free
Phantom Of The Opera
Revealations

(I'm missing a few Maiden songs....)

T_man357 said:
Iron Maiden:

Wrathchild
Number Of The Beast
Run to the hills
Running Free
Phantom Of The Opera
Revealations

(I'm missing a few Maiden songs....)

They did those, and Hallowed Be Thy Name and Iron Maiden at the CT show I went to
headbob.gif

ElectricWiz said:
That blonde guy in Maiden has been around for awhile. His name's Janick Gers. He replaced Adrian Smith when he left, and they didn't have the heart to kick him out when he came back. Not giving you a hard time here....just letting you know who he is. He's been in the band for quite a few years now, dating back to No Prayer For The Dying (or something). He played in a few bands before that, including one incarnation of Ian Gillan's band etc.

Yes thats true. I saw him with Gillan in the 80s. Before Gillan he was in White Spirit. They made some singles "Back to the Grind" And a self titled debut album. They were usually named as a NWOBHM band but they sounded more like Deep Purple than anything else.

More info here:

http://www.nwobhm.com/wspirit.htm

Btw I have the Back to the Grind Single and their s/t debut album.

Inflames happens to be my favorite band and if you think they sound like everyone else then .... well im speechless. To say the whole second stage sucked is very disconcerning to me as for me to feel you know nothing of modern metal bands. Well Arch Enemy was good when Johan was singing for them. Black Dahlia Murder slays live, and so does Soilwork, and KSE. Iron Maiden is always phenomenal. Maybe you need to look into Inflames back catalog from the last 15 years or so because next to AT THE GATES they were the best swedish death metal band. Im enormously pissed by your comments but it really doesnt matter either way.

I'm not going, but I was quite disappointed when I saw Maiden's setlist. NOT ONE FUCKING SURPRISE. I've seen them do all those songs before.

Dude, I didn't say it to get under your skin or piss you off...
I just figured I could write these things with people having enough common sense to know that they're just my opinions.....And who the fuck am I???

P.S. And the fact that I CAN"T FUCKING STAND!!! swedish death metal might have something to do with it as well....Get over it!!

EVERLOSTINDEADETERNITY said:
Inflames happens to be my favorite band and if you think they sound like everyone else then .... well im speechless. To say the whole second stage sucked is very disconcerning to me as for me to feel you know nothing of modern metal bands. Well Arch Enemy was good when Johan was singing for them. Black Dahlia Murder slays live, and so does Soilwork, and KSE. Iron Maiden is always phenomenal. Maybe you need to look into Inflames back catalog from the last 15 years or so because next to AT THE GATES they were the best swedish death metal band. Im enormously pissed by your comments but it really doesnt matter either way.

with the type of music theyre playing these days, they wouldnt sound like anything but 'just another band.' did you see their setlist for ozzfest? it's a joke.

kittybeast said:
Flying to Denver on Aug. 9th to see Maiden,Mastadon & Rob Zombie. :hotjump: :hotjump:

I'm going to sound like a worrying old mother, but drink lots of water to avoid any possibility of altitude sickness. You probably wouldn't have a problem but it's going to be fairly hot and if you partake of alcoholical type beverages as well it can compound the effects of the altitude. Like I said, worrying old mother. :D

The reverse happens to me. I tried really hard to at least cop a buzz at Prog Power last year and I got nothing. That's not exactly true. I did get the hangover the next day. :ill:

Wheezer said:
I'm going to sound like a worrying old mother, but drink lots of water to avoid any possibility of altitude sickness. You probably wouldn't have a problem but it's going to be fairly hot and if you partake of alcoholical type beverages as well it can compound the effects of the altitude. Like I said, worrying old mother. :D

The reverse happens to me. I tried really hard to at least cop a buzz at Prog Power last year and I got nothing. That's not exactly true. I did get the hangover the next day. :ill:

Thanks Mamma Wheezer! :wave: The drinking of water will not be a problem as it's been averaging 100 degrees in So. Cal the last week. Are you going to the show? Sincerely, thanks for the advice.

Yeah be safe dude!! But make sure to have a good time!!
The two don't go hand and hand...But try!!

kittybeast said:
Thanks Mamma Wheezer! :wave: The drinking of water will not be a problem as it's been averaging 100 degrees in So. Cal the last week. Are you going to the show? Sincerely, thanks for the advice.

Well I dont agree that IF sounds like everybody else I dont think they are all that special and I think there last few albums have been embarrasing ... I also have no strong love for most modern metal bands aka Mallcore and the likes .. With that said if you like it thats fine but you cant expect every one else too! .... Best Swedish Death Metal Band IMO Desultory ... well atleast the first 2 albums!

Devy_Metal said:
whats arch enemy's setlist ??

Nemesis, Ravenous, Dead Eyes See No Future, We Will Rise, And something else off the new album... extremely predicatable setlist, much like most of the second stage.
All I ask for is "The Immortal", "Bury Me An Angel", or "Dark of the Sun". Just once. Please.

kittybeast said:
Thanks Mamma Wheezer! :wave:

:lol: Mamma Wheezer. I'll probably never live that down. :D

kittybeast said:
The drinking of water will not be a problem as it's been averaging 100 degrees in So. Cal the last week. Are you going to the show? Sincerely, thanks for the advice.

Nah, I'm not going to the show. One of them things. :erk: You're welcome and if'n you need help getting point A to point B I'll help as much as I can. There's major construction going on down by the venue so it can be a bit tricky.