Pain of Salvation

ricochet

ghetto philosopher
Jul 7, 2001
behind closed eyelids
Visit site
Does it get much better? :D

I was completely blown away by their performance at ProgPower last year and will do anything I can to see them in the future no matter how far I have to travel.

They're definitely one of the best bands, if not the best, in music today. Period.

Thoughts? ;)

amazing band
I met them in 2001 when they were supposed to play in Iceland but didn´t

I´m going to headwayfestival and will see them there
( Amsterdam)

I'd love to go to the Headway Festival.

I think I'll move to Europe just to be able to travel and see all the good shows. Germany would be ideal for seeing shows, but I'd love to live in Sweden or Norway. I plan to study in Sweden around this time next year and hopefully see some good local shows and festivals. :)

I never cared about Prog in general, but when I got into Remedy Lane... It was :headbang: and :cry: and :cool: and :err: and :p at the same time :)
Then I took a step back, heard The Perfect Element I and PoS become one of my favorite bands.

Hope they will come to Budapest this year...

Did you guys all fail creative writing in high school? I mean come on, is that the best you've got to describe this band?

The first time I heard these guys was when i got a copy of Entropia and One hour by the Concrete Lake. At first it was background music because I was listening to it at work, but slowly it began to consume my attention to a degree that forced me to leave it home. I moved it into my portable CD player to shutout the mess of humanity on the subways and was soon transported into world of unprecedented progressive paradise.

Dream Theater who? Indeed!!

Gildenlowe's vocals are beyond description, his power and range are gravity defying and his use of growls and breathy whispers is unparalleled. The music is so deep and richly layered that to this day, several years later I am hearing new parts and melodies that I had never discovered before.

The lyrics and subject matter have enough depth and social relevence that they could be part of a college course on environmentalism, sociology and world history.

My only problem is with the production and recording, because it is so dense it's hard to get good guitar tones, the tend to be overly brite and thin in order to cut through the mix. I would love to see what Andy Sneap would do with these guys.

There, now discuss those points for a while. What are you a bunhc of high school kids on lunch break making your rounds on your e-team?

"I like POS, they are kewl..." Come on!

progfart said:
Did you guys all fail creative writing in high school? I mean come on, is that the best you've got to describe this band?

The first time I heard these guys was when i got a copy of Entropia and One hour by the Concrete Lake. At first it was background music because I was listening to it at work, but slowly it began to consume my attention to a degree that forced me to leave it home. I moved it into my portable CD player to shutout the mess of humanity on the subways and was soon transported into world of unprecedented progressive paradise.

Dream Theater who? Indeed!!

Gildenlowe's vocals are beyond description, his power and range are gravity defying and his use of growls and breathy whispers is unparalleled. The music is so deep and richly layered that to this day, several years later I am hearing new parts and melodies that I had never discovered before.

The lyrics and subject matter have enough depth and social relevence that they could be part of a college course on environmentalism, sociology and world history.

My only problem is with the production and recording, because it is so dense it's hard to get good guitar tones, the tend to be overly brite and thin in order to cut through the mix. I would love to see what Andy Sneap would do with these guys.

There, now discuss those points for a while. What are you a bunhc of high school kids on lunch break making your rounds on your e-team?

"I like POS, they are kewl..." Come on!

Though I'm sure we all appreciate your exuberance and passion for the great Pain of Salvation, your brief essay is cliche-ridden, predictable and ultimately unsatisfying.

However, I was listening to "The Perfect Element" this morning and thought to myself, "I keep discovering new parts to this album. This is such an ornate work, almost like a symphony." And I too don't care for the production on Pain of Salvation's discs. I would like a heavier, tighter guitar tone and the drum sound is quite poor. I would love to see them work with Andy Sneap or Andy LaRocque or perhaps even Steven Wilson.

Cliche-ridden and unsatisfying? Stop, you'll make me cry and fuck up my trackball. Go grab a thesaurus and rewrite it for me wordsmith.

I stand by my choice for Sneap as a possible producer for throaty guitar tones. I still haven't heard enough Porcupine Tree to appreciate Wilson's work as a producer.

What's up with POS's guitar gear? Maybe that has something to do with it. You know who has an amazing guitar tone is Arjen Lucasen. The Areyon stuff has very cool guitars.

Pain of Salvation is often in my top five favorite bands. The emotion that drips from their albums is some of the most intense of any band. Looking forward to the Perfect Element part 2...the band claims it's already written...RECORD it already!!!

ProgMetalFan said:
Meeting them? How?

I´m going to Amsterdam in 10 days to attend the Headway festival.
I know a guy(he's coming with me) who knows the band well, he has organized gigs for them in Denmark and Iceland and has seen them 6 times, he's such a groupie... he also organized some gigs for Sun Caged in Denmark and the drummer of that band is the organizer of Headway
so through this connection he's invited to a party of the bands... and so am I!

I've met POS before, in Iceland 2001 when they were unable to play due to some screw up...
I chatted mostly to Kristoffer, who is a really funny guy

also me knowing this dude i got to be a roadie for an Iced Earth gig in Copenhagen