Pain of Salvation's Remedy Lane - The Ultimate Thread

I would enjoy seeing Vangough though - Vangough is more a regular prog metal band compared to the other 2 - I like the Kingdom of Ruin album - they have a better drummer and it's mostly light/playful in comparison to PoS.

Are you and I listening to the same Vangough? Kingdom of Ruin (and Between the Madness) are quite emotionally intense. I would not call it light and playful, even in comparison to Remedy Lane. As a matter of fact, the reason I enjoy them so much is because they scratch that same itch of complex, yet emotionally deep music.

The youtube clips remind a little bit of Trent Reznor / Nine Inch Nails style show & vocals. But again, PoS is pretty calm compared to NIN. LOL. They both use similar approach to creating musical tension. They like to play with soft/harsh vocals and drop in/out the band to make it more dynamic - a trick to make simple music more impressive. They both have rhythmic rap-like talking mixed in with regular melodic singing - listen to "Ending Theme" at 3 minutes to understand what I mean by "rap-like talking". NIN is like dance music half the time, which PoS doesn't do thankfully. NIN was significant because of being original. PoS is also effective at being original when the drummer is playing.

SMH...You just dont get it. There is nothing simple about Pain of Salvation. You find the weakest examples of their music, call them soft or not intense, verify your "knowledge by pointing out WHERE " IE; they use rap like vocals, blah blah blah...how many "Rap" songs do they actually do? Use this 9 months to listen to the entire discography and form some kind of bond with the music and a better understanding before you just shit in my mouth with your strange, inane observations which are totally off base.

I've been sitting here for 30 minutes reading the last few posts, and I can find no way to adequately convey my reaction..

tumblr_lptijcyps01qdknz8.gif

Are you and I listening to the same Vangough? Kingdom of Ruin (and Between the Madness) are quite emotionally intense. I would not call it light and playful, even in comparison to Remedy Lane. As a matter of fact, the reason I enjoy them so much is because they scratch that same itch of complex, yet emotionally deep music.

I guess I remember songs like Sound of Wonder and An Empire Shattered when I think of Vangough. They almost make you laugh and it's good stuff. They do have other aspects that are dark, sure. The lead guitar tone is a lot sweeter / clean. It is very youthful sounding. The keyboard player is mostly focused on the "white notes" - very bright chords and scales. I hear that more then any lyrical content. They might grow into being darker over time.

Manikin Parade seems to share a lot in common with Pain of Salvation and feels darker/heavier on most of the tracks. Maybe they push into other directions more then I realized.

SMH...You just dont get it. There is nothing simple about Pain of Salvation. You find the weakest examples of their music, call them soft or not intense, verify your "knowledge by pointing out WHERE " IE; they use rap like vocals, blah blah blah...how many "Rap" songs do they actually do? Use this 9 months to listen to the entire discography and form some kind of bond with the music and a better understanding before you just shit in my mouth with your strange, inane observations which are totally off base.

The original thing I said about his rap-like vocal sections were that they were the weakest part of the music. He thankfully doesn't do it very much on remedy lane, so you are right, that the majority of the performance will be good stuff.

If I remember not liking something about a band, then how is that shitting in your mouth... lol. You do have the right to ignore me.

What do you not like about PoS?

I listen to their music often and I'm sure I'll further change perspective about it over time. Some of my favorite bands / albums don't age the same ways. The things that start to stand out can be minor or major problems - pain of salvation doesn't have any major problems on Remedy Lane, but it's also a band that is moving away from what I like about their earlier work. I was curious what the set list may have on Wednesday.

Any band should put out the music they are inspired to create. If I don't like it, that won't matter to them. They'll just switch to different kinds of fans and hopefully that works for them.

What else are we supposed to talk about on a thread about Remedy Lane if not what we think about the music? I'm trying to be critical of what I don't like and mentioning what I do like.

I'm not very experienced writing about music. Maybe you have put more work into that. In every industry, the people develop a set of terminology, and learning how to use that terminology correctly will change how others accept your feedback or not. Sometimes you might try to challenge the group to inspire debate or conversation by challenging them to fight back. I'm not sure if I did that, but you make it sound like I did. If everyone agrees a band is perfect, that's kind of boring. No band is perfect. I'm not very good with music critique terminology, but I know what I like about prog music and Pain of Salvation does more right, then wrong.

Thank you PromisedLand for the excuse to listen to Faith No More! Love them. And they took a long while to grow on me and for me to "get" it....so it seems an apt comparison to how I am working on POS.

And to all who said it before, reading along with the lyrics is helping out a LOT. Is it time for this thing to happen yet? :)

Skyflare -

So, what do you think of the awesome "rap-talking" that Faith No More used in the song Zombie Eaters? Better? Worse?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IcvqaBjnIro#t=132

Actually, it reminds me a little bit of the old red hot chili peppers when he is rap talking, meaning it's more funky/stylized, and chili peppers are better because of the funky bass that matches the style of the music. Clearly it is the bass / drum combo groove that matters on Zombie Eaters. Also sounds like the Armored Saint guy a little bit. The recording quality on this song is horrible. You have to like 90's rock to appreciate it. I try to avoid listening to 90's rock now, but obviously a lot of people like this stuff or foo fighters dude wouldn't be mega-rich for being an average guitarist. It's as good as any other 90's band. Hopefully this type of music won't make a come-back though.

Actually, it reminds me a little bit of the old red hot chili peppers when he is rap talking, meaning it's more funky/stylized, and chili peppers are better because of the funky bass that matches the style of the music. Clearly it is the bass / drum combo groove that matters on Zombie Eaters. Also sounds like the Armored Saint guy a little bit. The recording quality on this song is horrible. You have to like 90's rock to appreciate it. I try to avoid listening to 90's rock now, but obviously a lot of people like this stuff or foo fighters dude wouldn't be mega-rich for being an average guitarist. It's as good as any other 90's band. Hopefully this type of music won't make a come-back though.

Interesting..oddly enough, Faith No More's 1989 album "The Real Thing" was a huge influence for many of the 90s funk/rock bands that followed later.. they definitely broke that ground before RHCP had any real success.

So, Mike Patton of FNM reminds you of John Bush? Fascinating.. I'm not sure I see the resemblance myself.. Do you have any examples you could cite?