Pallar Anders Visa

What Björn mean is what I've said, that it just means ''Anders the stealer's/filcher's song'', and that there is no real meaning behind the songs name.

But he also says Pallar Anders is a name, sounds like he just can't be arsed to explain it so he goes with what it sounds like instead :D

It seems that Björn probably is saying that "Pallar Anders" is a name in the way of "Anders the Thief." It's not like Pallar is his first or last name, he's probably using it more like a nickname. So krofius is right. As someone said earlier it was sung in the 1800s, and I've heard that it is an old folk song. That's why there's no real meaning behind the title and the music, at least from In Flames' perspective.

XD Anders Pallar. That's not even his last name, it's Fridén. So whoever thought of that idea needs some history lesson. (of course I'm joking).

No hard feelings.

Krofius you da man!

how the F*** do you get so much information from the band, even about SOAPF.

please do tell...

Greetings folks, sorry for bumping such an old thread. But since this is basically the only location on the internet that discusses this very topic I deemed it necessary. I was once too asking question of this song - what does it mean, where does it come from, who was anders? is pallar denoting Anders is a thief? So i decided to dig into it and uncover what this mythriddled song really is. Well, its a mix of different speculations, and the questions answered just raises more questions and other mysteries.

So, let's begin with a small clarification of the name of the song. It should be "Pallars" not pallar. It has nothing to do with the childish slang for stealing in swedish, and it is a name, but not his real name. His first name was Anders. Anders was born in Karsjö, Sweden, in 1862, specifically at the farm "Pallars".
It was common back then for people to complement their legal name with the name of their homestead to differentiate themselves, therefore the name Pallars-anders, which he was well as known locally.

Anders was quite the rascal around the parish of Karsjö, and was infamous due to his involvement in serious disputes and quarrels with folks around the area and crimes involving beatings, theft and gunholds, which he suffered to himselfs as well. This is explained in numerous news articles I've gathered.
Anyways, as his deeds continiued over the years, they would one day stop. In 1892 he would be sentenced to prison for 10 years by the murder of Anders Fors, a soldier, for reasons unknown as of now. First he spent some time in Gävle Castle, and later moved to Långholmen Centralfängelse (Central Prison) where he served the rest of his time till 1902. After that I sadly dont have any more information about him. Maybe at some point I'll find myself afoot in Karsjö and investigate some more.

So that's the basic story about the mischievous Pallars-Anders and pallars anders song, right? Not quite... The funny thing is that Pallars Anders is most definitely not the one that composed and sang it during his prison years. And from what I can tell, bear no relationship with it. Why? Because there is an earlier version, sung by another prisoner.

Why the song would be characterized as, and by, "Pallars anders" I can only assume, and that would be that they both share involvement in crime, and being miserable prisoners. So the song got chosen, at one point, by someone, to instead depict Anders life, the full story of how I dont know. The song we know and love from In Flames is based on this version, hence the name "Pallars anders visa". It's first instance that I know of can be found in the book "Visor från Hälsingland" (released 1977), which translates to "Songs, or Ballads, from Hälsingland". The parish of Karsjö is located in Hälsingland county. What I know so far is that a woman named Ester Olsson provided that version to the books authors, and I believe she did not make it.

So... the version in Visor från hälsingland is as i said a modified form of an earlier version. This earlier one can be found in one of August Bondeson's books "SAMLADE SKRIFTER - SJÄTTE DELEN - VISBOK I", (released 1902). August Bondeson was an author who also wrote and gathered about Folklore, Folkmusic and Tunes around sweden. The one who provided this version to him was named Gösta Geijer which is a musician and author, so I suspect there may be an even earlier publication of the song. He states in the book that it was first provided by a soldier named Johannes Dahl (born 1833), and it is said he heard it got sung in Karlstad Prison some time in the 18-hundreds. I assume he shared it at one point to Gösta Geijer. At this moment this is all I know. We can deduce some things about the Karlstad prisoner by constraining when events may have happened and what is said in the original text, assuming that is what the prisoner actually sang..

Here is the "Visor från hälsingland" Version which got the name Pallars-anders Visa, with lyrics as well (or just listen to the in flames one)

Here is an artist that I was surprised to find, playing works from many of August bondesons collected songs. This is the original tune as close as we can get in all its glory. Its not Pallars anders visa exactly, but very similar. Let's just refer to it as "Jag är en fattig fånge" (I am a poor prisoner).

Both are very beautiful.

So thats that, there are few details i've left out so if you have any questions you can PM me. I hope i've answered some questions and I hope one day we can find who the real Karlstad prisoner was.

Last edited:
Reactions: galvanized