Pandora, Last FM, or other.

Vladearg

New Metal Member
May 14, 2012
For those of you who, wor what ever reason, perfer to stream your music then to listen to in manually, which do you perfer? Or do you perhaps perfer somehting other then pandora or LastFM.

Here is a good read on the differences:
http://blog.stevekrause.org/2006/01/pandora-and-lastfm-nature-vs-nurture-in.html

Myself, I have been using Pandora by default, but without success for my metal stations. Tool keeps on getting thrown in when I dont want it.

It would be perfect if it let me thumb up or thumb down specfic musical attributes, but instead Im forced to thumb up or thumb down all the musical attributes when I only like dislike half the attributes in that song.

I was wondering if LastFM might provide me more success due to it being based around the metal community and the community here seems to know the "feel" of genuine metal and the differences between things like black metal, Gothic metal, and where the various sub-genres might intersect.

I use last.fm to scrobble and find new artists, but I don't stream songs on that site anyway. I think it works fine though. Pandora, same as turntable.fm, doesn't even work outside of US.

I use last.fm to scrobble but I don't use any of those to stream. I have a good chunk of my library uploaded to Google music that I use for streaming my music directly when on the go...no commercials, and its my music no shitty recommendations.

Google music?
Man, is there anything they dont do?

So.... So far we dont have a single person who has a preference of a specific pandora/ lastFM site.

Well most people here (im assuming) listen to their music on cd by the album, since thats the way most metal is meant to be enjoyed anyhow. I cant stand streaming since it is LQ; I will only check out new music by streaming it, otherwise ill wait until I get the entire album. I find plenty of new music by checking out new releases and reading blogs and forums (this one in particular).

I have a last.fm account that I use mostly for keeping track of what I listen to, and sometimes i'll find the occasional band that I missed in the past that I should have already been listening to - count me for using lastfm for the occasional new find. Since I explore primarily metal genres, Pandora doesnt have enough coverage of bands who are on the less commercial side for me to find many new albums - ive heard of most of their recommendations already. So for me Lastfm is much more effective for finding new music. Ill always choose what I want to listen to, so radio station sites are pointless. Sometimes ill put my digital library (since I convert all my music to mp3/FLAC) on shuffle if I really cant decide...

I use last FM's scrobble app to find new bands and see what it recommends for me to listen to. If I like a song it plays I go on zune and download their album(s). It selects really great bands depending on what you love and ban. Plus you can skip as much as you want so you don't have to suffer though a song you're not really into.