Paradise Lost- Anathema- My Dying Bride: did you lot really get along?

pagan2002 said:
i always thought they were second rate. good influences and decent production and imagery though. but musically second rate no doubt in my mind. apart from one song i guess.
First of all I want to thank you for the amazing music Anathema has been doing the last ten years, it has made a difference in my life and influenced my songwriting to a large degree! I know for a fact that Mdb ripped off that sear me riff from you guys, but I can't understand how you could dislike Turn Loose The Swans, I think it is full of emotion, darkness, and beauty...it sounds NOTHING like Anathema, and as a matter of fact after 93-94 I saw almost no similarities between Anathema and MDB, both doom metal but totally different style of riffing and emotions in the music.....I will say that since 98' Anathema and Katatonia have been far, far better than MDB in terms of their growth and the overall quality of the music (alternative 4 still gives me shivers to this day, and I thought a natural disaster was excellent, especially violence and are you there, great vocals Danny)...do you really think the only good song MDB every had was the one that had your riff in it????? I guess everyone sees things differently, but now I am much more eager to hear some new Anathema than MDB...MDB seem to have run out of ideas.....any info on what the new music is going to sound like Danny?

blow_job1.jpg

season1234 said:
do you really think the only good song MDB every had was the one that had your riff in it?????.....any info on what the new music is going to sound like Danny?
no. i said the best song they did was the cry of mankind. and our new stuff sounds like a rainbow.

Strangelight said:
is that Annekke and Les?
hahaha

les smiling though? That cant be, Anathema band members cant smile!! its doom not britney spears like, say it aint so, say it aint trueeee!! ;)

pagan2002 said:
our new stuff sounds like a rainbow.
*****sounds like a rainbow...that is an intriguing answer....I cannot wait to hear the new music and get the dvd when it comes out. It is nice that while MDB treads the same old water Anathema continues to grow and evolve, gives me something to look forward to and I never know quite what to expect with each new release...

Paradise Lost - Gothic; indeed the most influential one; I have the first 4 albums and hated the first vid of Draconian Times (too disco)
My Dying Bride: I have the first 4 albums and 3 EPs, lost interest after that; I think MDB's music is much less organic than Anathema's; I used to like it more than I do now
Anathema never bored me a bit
Katatonia: I don't have any music of them, what are their best albums?

Katatonia: I don't have any music of them, what are their best albums?[/QUOTE]
Get Viva Emptiness, Sounds of Decay (death vocals), Tonight's Decision, Discouraged Ones....awe fuck, buy all of their albums! Katatonia is one of the only bands out there that match Anathema in terms of emotion, sorrow, and creativity...Viva Emptiness is HEAVY.

cedarbreed said:
MDB have a lot of good/very good songs on TLTS / TATDR / LGOTS and TLATEOTD (I hope you understand!). The albums after those are weak but contain some good songs (TDH) and a couple of hardly decent ones on "Songs of blabla Words from myarse". The % album is a joke, beside two or three songs that were interesting for the experimentation. The earliest stuff is mere doom/death but it's decent for the style.
PL ... Well Draconian Times is one of my favourite albums of the 90's. Icon is damn good. There was still a few ok songs on One Second but it was the beginning of a slow decay that led them where they are now... Does anyone even care about what they're doing now anyway ???
Oh and about the older albums, I used to like Shades of God but never really gave a chance to Icon and Lost Paradise because the few songs I heard I didn't like them at all. Maybe I should try again now.

Well that's it, and no arse-licking but, considering the 3 bands' discographies, I like 60-65% of MDB's stuff 30% of PL's and still 80-85% of Anathema's.

Anyway
The %-album of MDB is their best, imo.

Alwin said:
Paradise Lost - Gothic; indeed the most influential one; I have the first 4 albums and hated the first vid of Draconian Times (too disco)
My Dying Bride: I have the first 4 albums and 3 EPs, lost interest after that; I think MDB's music is much less organic than Anathema's; I used to like it more than I do now
Anathema never bored me a bit
Katatonia: I don't have any music of them, what are their best albums?

You have to get Dance of December Souls!! :headbang: Pick up Brave Murder Day too (fave song: endtime.) Mike from Opeth contributes vocals a lot on that record too. The cd also has the For Funerals to come EP as a bonus and that stuff is just great.