Parallel Compression on Guitars?

IanBTS

Mar 27, 2009
I've just started working with parallel compression busses on drum tracks, and I'm having awesome results.

Just wondering, is this useful on distorted guitars at all to make them tighter and...ballsier? I know distorted guitars are already heavily compressed just in the nature of distortion...but can this help the guitars sound a little bit bigger? How about throwing bass guitar in the bus as well?

Good idea, or no?

Parallel Compression can really bring out the grind on a distorted bass track, much moreso than more distortion or normal compression can. Not sure about guitars though, haven't tried it.

I almost always use it. Keep the level down and it can add some nice oomph to the guitars. But as said, use your ears. Try it and see. I think there was a good thread about it on here somewhere.

Sorry my english. i mean hi gained guitar is not dynamic instrument. The compressed signal will bring a phat sound the original signal will keep the dynamic and we cannot get same NY effect as parallel compressed drum rhytmic instrument track.

I'm guessing he meant percussive, as in the rhythm section of a band. That said, if it helps the sound, who cares?

Yes, albums have a lot of compression on them, but often only because it alters the sound in a pleasant way, not because we want to squash everything into oblivion.

Sorry my english. i mean hi gained guitar is not dynamic instrument. The compressed signal will bring a phat sound the original signal will keep the dynamic and we cannot get same NY effect as parallel compressed drum rhytmic instrument track.

I understand now :)

still i think that even though the distorted guitar isn't as dynamic as a percussive instrument, parallel compression will still add some body without affecting the transients. so the result is the same.

Alright...so it's a good thing to try at least. So what's the best way to set it up? Should the effects send be pre-fader or post? I'm using the Fredman dual mic-ing technique, and obviously will have the on axis mic mixed a bit lower than the off axis...so will a pre-fader effects send throw off the balance of the two mic'd signals?

Also, should I have the lead guitars and rhythm guitars bussed to the same compressor? Or have separate sends for these?

Sorry if these are n00bish questions, like I said I'm just getting into this whole parallel compression thing

i use parallel compression on distorted guitars all the time. if you look at a recorded guitar track, a chugging riff on the lower strings can be about 5db louder than a more openly played riff. many people have a tube screamer pedal in their guitar chain to tighten the low end, but i don't, so this helps make up for it a bit.

you'll want it pre fader, because you don't want to change the level of the signal going into the compressor by moving the fader. i send all guitar tracks to the same compressor.

I use it in the same way I do my drum compressing... Dry is at -3db, wet is compressed so during the song it only adds a little thickness. With a slow enough attack and a generous knee, when the guitars come in for some more percussive playing, it'll give an oomph into the attack. Helps to reintroduce some dynamics to the music again.