Parts of OM that make you think of water...

TrevJ

May 2, 2001
Ottawa
Since this album generally uses water as a theme, what parts of the music make you think of water the most? I'd have to say:

• The synth during the verses of Life makes me think of bubbles... mainly because of the tone of the synth.

• The end of Seventh Wave is obviously designed to sound like it's going down the drain, so that makes me think of water.

• The opening riffs of Regulator also make me think of bubbles, again, because of the tone of the synth.

• The part that makes me think of water the most are the "See in the sea" parts of Hide Nowhere. The big synth backdrop there always makes me think of a big whirlpool.

So, entertain me and post your thoughts. A thread like this could probably be done for Terria too, but with nature or something as the theme... meh.

LuminousAether said:
Every guitar riff on that album makes me think of waves.
ditto. Ok, maybe not _every_ riff ...but most riffs got this "floating" feel to them ...it's very obvious when you listen to it. Those riffs are totally unique; at least I don't know many albums/songs that have got riffs like this.

something great with Dev's music
the guitar riff on Biomech for example, are not complex at all, but they sound great...

geoff

The main riff for Seventh Wave reminds me of waves, funnily enough.
However, I think the album is more a representation of solitary and loneliness and being comfortable with it. Thats my opinion. Devin has said similar things, at some point in time.

Devin's brilliant blending of guitar and keyboards have always given me that 'ocean' feel to it. Even in parts of ACCELERATED EVOLUTION. When I heard songs like "Deadhead," I would get visuals of a vast ocean. And OCEAN MACHINE is like that through practically the entire CD. That's why I love it so...

i wonder how he creates the sound. i read he uses the Roland GP100 (as i have) digital processor with his ESP explorer to get it, but i didnt yet het the presets right. any help?