cd/songs that make you visualize things

dreaming neon darkspot

natures' retard
May 13, 2002
in times of grace
i was driving home listening to DNB (awesome rainy day cd) thinking about that pictures that always come into my head because of the lyrics and/or music of some of the songs

beyond within - some dark futuristic city thrown into chaos and mob rule

the death of passion - a seashore at night during a storm ("obsidian lies"), turbulant water, foaming waves ("the riptide lies ahead") and i see flower petals falling from the sky into a black whirlpool ("my passions now are dead/i am the void")

i am the dog - same setting, turbulant sea at night, the woman "screaming from the alcove" of rocks

the lotus eaters - the lotus eaters from the Odyssey, they're these thin, pale, blind humanoids on this desolate, shadowy island but the lotus flowers are glowing

all play dead - an empty room in a dilaphidated house, weak sunlight is coming in through a grimy window and you can kind of see the ivy that's growing up over the house. people (or just one person) lie on the cold gray floor ("i'll sleep in this quiet room") - maybe an opium den?

cenotaph - this underwater grotto that is bright like a dreamworld ("foreboding fear trickles down the spine into the pool resonating/ the dreamer lies in velvet sleep") and a graveyard during a raging storm, a man on his kneels covered in dirt digging a grave to place the cenotaph at

a sun that never sets by neurosis makes me think of the seashore a lot, too. most opeth songs just make me think of landscapes and forests (spring, winter, fall), a lot of the time there's rain. most songs/albums by my dying bride make me think of cemetaries - sometimes they're dark and rainy, sometimes they're sunny

anybody else?

Honestly? The album cover is what I visualize.

Dreaming Neon Black-A dark brown mesh of colors.

Borknagar-Quintessence-A red thunderstorm.

Myrkgrav-Trollskau: Kollabrening-A Norwegian forest.

I know it sounds...I don't even know the word. But I hear music in colors. And the color is usually what's on the album cover. I really loved the art work for the new ICS Vortex album, because it reminds me of grey skies and rain.

Too many songs to name that cause vivid imagery to appear in my head, but a few reliable standouts for me would be:

1. Call of Ktulu
2. Dante's Inferno
3. No More Will
4. Painkiller
5. Holy Wars
6. The Oath
7. Satan's Fall
8. A Dangerous Meeting
9. Would?

I probably should have listed an Opeth song as well, but most of them tend to produce the same images or feelings, most of which end up under the soil. I keep seeing a Sleepy Hollow setting, or a bog or marsh, and of course it's in the fall. Or rather, the non boring albums anyway.

Elevation by Blut Aus Nord always makes me picture a gently spiraling aura of golden ethereal light whose texture keeps changing that shines over vibrant nebulae.

Type O Negative's October Rust. It puts me in the fall time, after dark, with brown leaves fallen, and the glow of a pyre. It reminds me of primal desires of being connected to nature, and to the woman I lust, as I caress her thighs.

type o negative = rainy forests, snowy forests, sometimes sunny forests, graveyards, haunted houses, dilaphidated houses, bridges and lakes and cities in the rain, dark rooms, black masses, churches

i happen to have a vivid imagination. a good piece of music usually tantalizes more than one of my senses.when i fully absorb the nectar and the fiber of a peculiar piece of music it rattles the core of my being and the music in turn takes on a life of its own inside of me. rediscovering a piece is like meeting up with an old acquaintance. we mature together
anyways
rachmaninov piano concertos 1-4
liszt sonata in bminor
sentient 6
noumenon
forever( nevermore dnb )
godless
heart collector
in memory
the sorrowed man
anything from ulcerate's the destroyers of all
the fire of resurrection- hate eternal
beethovens third piano concerto
mozart's piano concerto in d minor
and a buttload of others. my indolence will preclude me from listing anymore music

Corrupted - El Mundo Frio brings more vivid imagery to mind than any other album I've ever listened to. It begs pictures of black and white war-torn civilization; starving children, widows and widowers, cities turned to rubble, and unabashed grieving on the streetsides. Also, Warning - Watching From a Distance (particularly Footsteps) brings to mind a lone soldier journeying onward from the ashes of what once was his homeland. He carries with him the too-recent memories of his own family slain conflicted by guilt of the families he tore apart to defend his own. To no avail, he struggles to deal with his loss and questions what to do with himself and tries to harden his heart as he wanders.

The only song that does this to me is Veneno Para Las Hadas from Steven Wilson's (Porcupine Tree) soloalbum... It always triggers really nostalgic memories - but it's always different ones. And it's just an almost frozen image of that memory aswell - nothing really happening. It's weird.

Anyway, I used to visualise stuff when I listened to music, but I realised as I read through the thread that I don't anymore. Also weird, I guess.

Edit: Actually, BT's This Binary Universe is the only album that makes me visualize stuff, but I rarely listen to it anymore. Can't remember exactly what I visualize, but I don't think you care.

Dream Theater-Awake is another one. I think part of the reason I love that album even after getting over the band is that the art work creates such a good atmosphere.