Paul Bostaph

Ken Kaniff

Jul 19, 2004
P.O.L.A.N.D.
I love Paul Bostaph's style--this guy is a feaking m a c h i n e! I dare say he's one of the most consistent metal stickmen out there.

TL, I was wondering how the band sounds now with him in the line-up.
How does he play the new material? Is it very 'busy' and packed with double kicks?

Also, does he ever have a look at the Forum?

Ken i can assure you that the band with Paul sounds KILLER!:headbang:
i've heard them twice - and he gave a GREAT performance!:headbang:
DNR was the opener on both nights and he just came over this song flawless!!:headbang:

what's more - he fits the band very well - and as anybody on the team he is a very cool guy - had a chance to hang out with him for some time - and i had nothing less but a great time - not to mention that on one of the nights he was wearing "Biuro Ochrony Rządu" t-shirt , who knows who this guy really is :Spin: :wave:

i don't know if he's lurking - TL?

soulflypl said:
i've heard them twice - and he gave a GREAT performance!:headbang:
Never doubted it. I play the drums and as soon as I heard Paul play he became one of my major influences.

soulflypl said:
had a chance to hang out with him for some time - and i had nothing less but a great time
Lucky bastard:D

Testament Legions said:
Hello Ken,

As soulflypl has informed you, Paul is doing an incredible job!
That's awesome. I can't wait for the band to come down to Poland again. Last time Testament payed in Warsaw they tore it up big time.

What I like about the guys on a personal level is that even though they are dog tired after a show they still find time to hang with the maniacs. Remember Warsaw 2003? The gig finished at midnight or even later. Yet, no problem catching the guys afterwards. :worship:

So, next time I have a chance I'll be bugging Paul to sell me some tricks. :heh:

I think paul fucking sucks man. He can't hold a fucking tempo to save his life. I've seen Slayer with postaph and lombardo and the difference is night and day. Watch the slayer dvd, you'll see what i'm talking about. He messes up the drumm roll on angel of death for god's sake.

MetalHeadMarc said:
I think paul fucking sucks man.
I'm not gonna take issue with your opinion as everyone is entitled to have one.
But you have to know how to express judgements and you don't. Ignorant.

P.S. It's 'Bostaph' not 'postaph'
P.P.S. Names and proper nouns are capitalized in English.

MetalHeadMarc said:
I think paul fucking sucks man. He can't hold a fucking tempo to save his life. I've seen Slayer with postaph and lombardo and the difference is night and day. Watch the slayer dvd, you'll see what i'm talking about. He messes up the drumm roll on angel of death for god's sake.
Dude ive seen slayer when they were touring for Reign in Blood,South of heaven and Seasons in the abyss and I was really bummed out when Dave left. But the one thing I (and everyone else i know) thought about Paul was how accuratly he reproduced all of Daves stuff.
So he messed up and they happened to tape it , the rest of the show on the DVD is sweet.......................

Regardless of my error in spelling, Bostaph blows and on the DVD he losses tempo several times over. Just because you've seen Slayer a million times doesn't make you an expert at telling if drummer cann't keep time. But if anything you know how much better slayer is with dave, a real fucking drummer.

btw, I don't capitalize names when I type em to piss you off. I hope I've succeeded.

Regardless of whatever is said about Paul Bostaph I have a lot of respect for him. He's an excellent drummer, as far as his technique and creativity are concerned.

I'm happy he's different from Dave Lombardo. Imagine having a substitute drummer who only tries to copy his predecessor's style. That doesn't let the band step up and move forward--I doubt Slayer would want this to happen.

You might be bitter about Dave leaving Slayer for so long (now he's back!) yet try to be objective. I'm a drummer and I pay speciall attention to what Paul does and has done and no slip up is going to change my opinion about him.

Even though I haven't watched the DVD you refer to, I have seen him play live and followed his career pretty closely so I guess I know what I'm talking about.

added

P.S. I have gone thru my Slayer's bootleg collection and found a gig from Germany where Dave loses the band twice. Huge mistakes. It's a good example of the fact that even the best and biggest drummers make mistakes. Paul was unlucky to have been taped.

Bostaph is THE machine! He's done amazing stuff for Forbidden, Slayer and when I saw him with Testament he was... woah, and i shook his hand :D

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

ok what about lombardo losing time on the ride symbol during war ensemble on decade of aggression?!

i personally can;t hear ANY differene in quality between the 2 drummers. if anything- i would say paul is better.

personally i think lombardo is way over-rated and i prefer bostaph easliy over lombardo.
his style is more creative and 'busy' whereas i find dave a bit boring to listen to.

max said:
ok what about lombardo losing time on the ride symbol during war ensemble on decade of aggression?!

i personally can;t hear ANY differene in quality between the 2 drummers. if anything- i would say paul is better.

personally i think lombardo is way over-rated and i prefer bostaph easliy over lombardo.
his style is more creative and 'busy' whereas i find dave a bit boring to listen to.
I like both drummers, both are competent. I will give Dave the edge on this for his God of thunder like power, the man is pure balls.

Also, I was glad to here that Bostaph is playing on Testaments new album. He is a damn decent drummer and can only add to the music.

Hi Ken and welcome to the boards!!! I'm sorry u have to experience some things like these actually, but not every member outta here is like that metalheadmarc at all, so please enjoy the stay and don't just care about that guy.

PS: I like both drummers, quite different style and approach.

CIAO!

Thanx Chainsawmax. I don't mind a constructive discussion. Paul's critic, however, forgets one simple thing: not only does it take long years of practice and sacrifice to play like both drummers in question but also a tremendous amount of talent, which you can't learn/buy/acquire.

I'm not saying it because Paul's in Testament, I have lots of respect for the majority of great musicians out there. As I said before I'm a drummer and I know first hand how hard it is to do what they are capable of.

Lastly, I like the forum and unfounded criticism of any band member is not gonna stop me from checking it out.

Yep, and we suck big time!
http://www.mechanixband.prv.pl/ is the web site. It's in Polish, unfortunately. But you can find some mp3s there of stuff we recorded 2,5 years ago. The recording is amateur--don't expect good quality/production. Oh, to access them you need to chose the 'Muzyka' link from the main menue. You've been warned what you're gonna hear :)