pc for a professional studio

MAC fanboys. :p They seem to forget that a MAC is still a pc anyway. It's no extraterestrial technology.

Nobody said anything like that. I said they have the best hardware and software integration, which is absolutely true.

I have a high end pc:

Asus p6x58 extreme motherboard
Intel i7 960
12 gb ddr3 2000mhz ram with heat sinks
3x 500gb seagate caviar black drives
Asus 5770 graphics
Noctua cooling
Fractal r2 case

So it is pretty beast, and I, with no regrets, am getting rid of it for a Mac.

This pc gets a run for it's money with a 2gb ram dual core Mac pro from 2008. I don't know why, Mac can do a lot more with less. So if a Mac and pc had the same specs, my money is on the Mac.

I'm sick of my pc freezing multiple times in a session, it's unprofessional.

Call me a fanboy if you want, but I would not consider a facility "professional" if it had Windows machines.

Thats just fukkin stupid man.

I have a PC, its solid as a rock. Never any problems. I may go with mac in the future but that statement is just plain stupid.

The thing that buggs me with mac is that pay so much more for the same hardware. A mac with the same spec as an equal PC costs almost twice as much and that is fukkin lame.

I have a PC, its solid as a rock. Never any problems. I may go with mac in the future but that statement is just plain stupid.

The thing that buggs me with mac is that pay so much more for the same hardware. A mac with the same spec as an equal PC costs almost twice as much and that is fukkin lame.

again, my pc get outperformed by a mac with half the specs. there is no quality control on pc parts, half of it is dead on delivery.

but i think it must all be in the operating system itself. i was a long time mac hater for that same reason, but its stupid. buying a pc based on specs is pointless if it still crashes and barely runs protools. i have a sick pc, but even still the mac wins with half the power.

For what it's worth, back when I used a Hackintosh setup I had XP, Vista and OSX installed on the same machine and OSX out-performed both versions of windows even when they were tweaked for better audio perfomance.

In my experience OSX is just a better operating system, and add to that the fact that apple use a much tighter range of hardware chosen specifically for maximum compatibility.

Also, try finding a pc laptop with decent firewire these days, its an absolute lottery. In fact, I'd rather chance my money on £1000 worth of lottery tickets than get another PC

Also, try finding a pc laptop with decent firewire these days, its an absolute lottery. In fact, I'd rather chance my money on £1000 worth of lottery tickets than get another PC

Lenovo IBM, my laptop never crashed since I bought it(3 years ago), just sayin...

PC vs. Mac discussions are lame:loco:

To the OP: with PT go osx way. I run PT under win with an hp xw8400, work like a charm but the only i miss is quickey. Quickey is osx/lion only...

I actually love the fact that the only thing you responded to was my opinion. Same specs doesn't mean shit when one of the OS makes better use of them. I offer realistic reasons and arguments, you bitch about the price. Yep... You get what you pay for. If you get one, you will understand.

Like I said already, usually the ones that hate the most are the ones who have never even owned one.

Same specs doesn't mean shit when one of the OS makes better use of them.

Yup,

I'm actually amazed that people only seem to think of computers in terms of X number of cores and Y amount of RAM.

Imagine hunting for an apartment and only comparing different places based on the number of bedrooms and no other criteria.

"Quad core, 4GB RAM" is about as meaningful as "2 bedroom, en-suite bathroom" in terms of what it tells you about the item in question.

FWIW one could also argue that part of why people who own Macs advocate their superiority is also because they want to 'justify' (to themselves, not to the outer world) the extra price they have paid to own their computers. Just a thought. Nothing is black or white.

^ true that.

@006 Im no hater man, don't take it like that. Im sure MAC os is the better one but windows 7 is really reliable and i haven't had any problems whatsoever with my 2 latest computers. Mac has its problems to, and to say that is is problem free that is just being naive.

Windows consists of bloatware stacked in generations over an archaic core, mostly due to lazyness and the desire to stay safe and backward compatible at all costs, ultimately leading to a messy and largely unoptimized user experience in the modern era. OSX is made foolproof by severely limiting your ability to tweak, upgrade, repair or in general do absolutely anything with your machine that isn't directly sanctioned by king turtleneck, with a price premium to boot.

Both have their drawbacks. As long as you know how to overcome them, you can make music on either without worry. If you argue fanatically in favor of either without acknowledging the strengths and pitfalls of both, chances are you're just needing to verbalize your own assurances in order to vindicate your purchase, or your narrow minded loyalism to a company that ultimately doesn't give a quarter of a shit about you, as you do about it.

In my case, everything you've ever heard from me has been largely done on a PC, sans the freelance tracking which is usually an Apple-oriented affair. That likely won't be changing any time soon.

Call me a fanboy if you want, but I would not consider a facility "professional" if it had Windows machines.
come on dude, that's a ridiculous statement. Doesn't Sturgis use a PC? If Steven Slate isn't running a PC now he sure used to.
You're not gonna find me all over ALLMUSIC but I am a pro, that is I make a (pretty damn good) living recording bands and I do it on a PC. It's all ones and zeros man. I'd say it's all about stability and what you're comfortable with. There are lots of options and lots of opinions but to say you're not a pro if you're not running a mac, that's just silly.:Smug:

Why do mac users always feel the need to defend their investments? If you want to blow twice the cash on the flavor of the month its your problem.

And before you butt hurt mac users start flaming ...yes I do own both a mac and a PC.

Why do mac users always feel the need to defend their investments? If you want to blow twice the cash on the flavor of the month its your problem.

And before you butt hurt mac users start flaming ...yes I do own both a mac and a PC.

We could turn that argument on it's head and ask why the PC fanboys get so uppity when anyone mentions the word "mac".

The zealots on both sides seem to have a severe case of tiny-dick syndrome :lol:

hmmm having used both Mac and PC here are my arguments:

Mac = Better and more costly. Unless you are the type of person who can build a computer from scratch and remove viruses by hand. GET A MAC for pro studio work

Windows = If you can build from scratch they will run you less than 20% of the Mac cost. Win7 is the first OS i remotely trust to run pro audio stuff.

I use Windows now but my final answer would be if you dont care about budget go for the Mac. If you can really work your way in Windows then you can make a windows machine work fine.

Windows consists of bloatware stacked in generations over an archaic core, mostly due to lazyness and the desire to stay safe and backward compatible at all costs, ultimately leading to a messy and largely unoptimized user experience in the modern era. OSX is made foolproof by severely limiting your ability to tweak, upgrade, repair or in general do absolutely anything with your machine that isn't directly sanctioned by king turtleneck, with a price premium to boot.

Both have their drawbacks. As long as you know how to overcome them, you can make music on either without worry. If you argue fanatically in favor of either without acknowledging the strengths and pitfalls of both, chances are you're just needing to verbalize your own assurances in order to vindicate your purchase, or your narrow minded loyalism to a company that ultimately doesn't give a quarter of a shit about you, as you do about it.

In my case, everything you've ever heard from me has been largely done on a PC, sans the freelance tracking which is usually an Apple-oriented affair. That likely won't be changing any time soon.

+1 to all of this.

Look the reality is whether macs are better or PCs are better is ridiculous and pointless. I personally like macs better, only cause every single studio I have ever worked in has had one. The only reason that happened was in the beginning of PT, macs were far superior WITH THAT PROGRAM. It's the only reason every studio still uses them...just like people think they have to record as hot as possible...it's all based on something that USED to be true.

Like Ermz said (sort of).

PCs: more hassle is you are an idiot and don't know how to optimize, but if you do it'll probably slay most macs in real world tests.

Macs: doesn't matter how smart you are, you get what you get and it'll work. You'll have less problems (without having to optimize), but in the end you're paying a mighty premium for the hardware and the look.

Personally, I think hackintoshes are the way forward for me. User never sees the machine, all they see is OSX and all the things they are used to. However, in the machine room (my closet) there's a pc that I built for 1/4 the price and runs as good or beter.

At least that's the hope.

Isn't there a AS forum rule that states anyone who starts a Mac vs PC thread would be perma-banned, seems you guys forgot.

Regardless, both OS are neither superior or inferior, they are just two different ways of getting to the same result and as some people have different preferences, so will their preference for OS as well as DAW of choice. Its a workflow thing for the most part, but other considerations suck as maintenance and user-friendliness also takes part of the decision.

The price differences in the Macs are justified though because if you built the same exact setup for a PC (dual CPU motherboard with fully buffered memory) the PC will end up in the same price area as the Mac area, the difference in price of the mac would then be for a slightly faster and more optimized OS and proprietary hardware that was designed operate together instead of a universal hardware compatibility from other brands. Still the price difference and performance differences of the two machines will be fairly small and like I said before would come down to the user's preference in OS.

I use a PC i built using recommendations from DUC'ers.

I enjoy building and maintaining PC's.

The bands that come to me to record could care less if it's a mac or pc.

I'm poor. lol.

The lack of differences between the 2 have been better stated than I can do.

I have got to stick up for 006 on this one. If i was shopping rooms to bring a band into to track, I would take the room with a mac more seriously. I would wonder what other shortcuts had been taken? Will I run into issues while working?

This might not be the case, but I don't think i'm alone here.

Tom