Pearl Jam - Riot Act

anyway last night i was angry, so i sat down went all doom and that, then i remembered that lion's face, and bursted out laughing. i reckon this is a good carriage, i should get one for christmas.

l-lion.jpg

Originally posted by moody
i like anathema, but i don't like that much of mdb except the % album, katatonia bores me, and opeth irritates me and gets me nervous. i'm not saying they're bad bands, but i can't see no link between 'blackwater park' or 'tonight's decision' and let's say 'alternative 4' :confused:. it's like saying 'sleepy hollow' and a tv report about nervous breakdowns have the same feeling :rolleyes:

you right there. its like there's pretend doom, which is all whipering melancholia and drowned forests, and then theres proper doom, where your lucky to get out of it in one piece in order to even pick up a guitar and write about it.
i know which side i'm on. syd barret's solo stuff is darker than any contrived idea from MDB os someone like that.
hail connie.

I'm getting tired of all these damn "anti" Katatonia, Opeth, MDB discussions.
To me, the big 4 are just like Don Corleone's: Anathema, plus the 3 bands mentioned above.
I think Mehdi, Duncan and Danny can't really understand what I or Don Corleone or anyone else who's on "our side" mean, and my English is too poor to explain it perfectly.
It's NOT all about who can write the doomiest lyrics, or compose the doomiest songs...
I'm sick off the "let's break down Katatonia and Opeth" attitude.
If only you guys were all big mates :cry:
I think you (Dunc and Danny) should only have a real opinion about My Dying Bride, I know you know them good enough to get what they are about. But leave Opeth and Katatonia for what they are, at least they're no posers or something.
And it can't be a coincidence that all these bands often are mentioned alltogether, so...
Or is it just that Anathema is "ashamed" of its metal roots and wants to get rid of it? I get that feeling quite often actually, and I think you will all be happier when we'll talk about Anathema, Radiohead and Pink Floyd instead of Anathema, Katatonia and Opeth huh :cry:

Crap :mad:

At least Vinnie does enjoy Katatonia shows.....:cry:
Well, that's what I heard...

Oh and Dunc, I wonder which songs you actually downloaded, if you consider to give it a second chance then go for Katatonia - For my Demons, Last Resort, Brave
And you possibly downloaded the heavy songs by Opeth, go for the soft ones (clean voice, acoustic guitar, etc), Harvest, Face of Melinda

And if you don't like the lyrics (which would be strange), always keep in mind that English is not their native language, I don't think it would be easy for Englishmen to write something in let's say French or Dutch huh...

As a proper Greek that sticks his nose everywhere, I'll just say this: Listen to whatever the fuck makes you happy. Opeth, Katatonia, MDB, Pink Floyd, Eminem, Britney Spears, Spice Girls... anything. I consider music as something very personal. Conversations about who's proper doom and who's proper thrash and who's proper pop and why this band is crap and this band is divine, leads nowhere... My sis believes Jen. Lopez is great! How can I argue with that? That's her opinion and it's respected. Don't you think that trying to convince a 9 year-old that Lopez sucks is kind of pointless? Why must we argue and end up hating other because some people might not be metalheads and be hip-hop fans for example. Are they stupid, naive, trend victims? I don't accept that. Judge people by their character.

*got you lot pissed again, hehe*

@Forlorn. hehehe. youve missed my point completely. I asked why the bands were mentioned together. And wondered if the lyrics were actually real or not. If you can tell me some songs from them bands where the lyrics are about proper hard times, and not just fantasy stuff to create a mood, I'll be dead interested to listen to them.

Originally posted by sol83
As a proper Greek that sticks his nose everywhere, I'll just say this: Listen to whatever the fuck makes you happy...etc...

you missed the point of the discussion too. it's not about what's good or not, it's about misunderstanding the point of bands. to follow the same example i used before, it's not about saying that watching 'sleepy hollow' is better than watchin tv reports about nervous breakdowns, it's about understanding that these are two different things.

That's what i'm saying. We're here fightin about stuff that have to do with one's own view/perspective... All i'm sayin is cool it down. This debate is pointless....

I don't think Katatonia's lyrics are bad

Brave

If you didn't know all the moments when I lose myself I would tell the world I'm catching flies by now speaking to someone breaking the windows this house is dead the sound of falling when the pictures are moving between the memories dead in time brave try the meaning of loss I know your smile is deadly at this point wherever you are I am not if you didn't know all the moments when I lose myself I would tell the world I guess I should know the limits of the world there are moments I find myself not breathing at all

Murder

Fallen idol hanged man great winds rides the mill further into the vast limits do not exist five day pain closer now than ever birds escape mute flock of winds one with weather sight is getting dim

Day

Grey park look the same and the days are pale I never thought it would rain this way I should be knowing that it used to be me let's stay here for a while is something gonna happen today your smile has decayed it will never be the same I never thought I would laugh again I should be knowing this it used to be me let's stay here for a while is something gonna happen today now it's dark and you're colder now it's dark and I'm older now it's dark and you're colder and you tell me my parks are grey let's stay here for a while is something gonna happen today grey park look the same all the days are pale I never thought it would rain this way I should be knowing that it used to be me let's stay here for a while is something gonna happen today

Rainroom

We saw it all pass by and you went by and I can't control anything when you said that life can't be what you want and I really want everything when I prey when I believe I saw it end long before it ended life itself turned pale and ended I saw you cry out acres of your image life itself does not heal me like a slow scenery I'm losing all my faith in lifeless motion you're walking like you're dead we saw it all pass by and you went by and I can't control anything when you said that life can't be what you want and I really want everything

Black theatre of love violet dancers cast their blood the moon gave me flowers for funerals to come 12 shapes bow before her I am still one of them 12 morbid ways to die her beauty scares me I'm falling deeper no more pain to feel now touch the silence afraid of hell black theatre violet dancers drink my blood the moon gave me flowers for funerals to come I cannot breathe I am losing life the moon paints the skyline blue she died so beautyful

Endtime

Now fall into a vacant sphere pierced by darkness they called it death and surrounded me with sleep they lost the earth in fire waved it into a sea this is not what you saw the earth in fire now fall into a vacant sphere pierced by darkness they called it death and surrounded me with sleep

Originally posted by sol83
That's what i'm saying. We're here fightin about stuff that have to do with one's own view/perspective... All i'm sayin is cool it down. This debate is pointless....

tastes are subjective and have to do with views and perspective, but a band/writer's aims/goals/concepts aren't, they're like they are and you can't really discuss about it. i reckon it's cool we can talk about comparing concepts of different bands, but i think some people misunderstood the point of the debate, it's not about discussing tastes but facts :)

Originally posted by Strangelight
And wondered if the lyrics were actually real or not. If you can tell me some songs from them bands where the lyrics are about proper hard times, and not just fantasy stuff to create a mood, I'll be dead interested to listen to them.

Listen to titletrack latest MDBalbum (did I said before Dreadful Hours is my favourite MDBalbum ;) ) It's about a boy who is scared from his dad... or is that considered as 'creating a mood'
I can't say for Opeth or Katatonia, because I haven't digged their lyrics... wont do as well... Opeth is pure musicpleasure for me (oh boy oh boy :) ) and in Katatonia I find that depressive mood, which I like pretty much, it can gets you start thinking :)

Forlorn, count me in with you and Don!

Oh, lyrics... why they should be about hard times anyway :confused:

Read lyrics in the wrong way and you got a completely other subject of them

Who's right to judge lyrics? okay some are sounding cheesy, but reading the Katatonialyrics Gorik posted, they aren't cheese at all! It can be true they're made to create a dark mood, but perhaps it's about hard times after all... I'm curious, anyone have contact with them? Don?