Pearl Jam - Riot Act

I'm curious too, thats my whole point. The reason I asked if they were about hard times is because I'm wondering why these bands are mentioned alongside Anathema who do write about hard times. I'm genuinely interested in why people are touched by songs that they dont understand. Im not saying any of these bands are crap or anything, just wondering what it's all about.

Originally posted by Mariner
Oh, lyrics... why they should be about hard times anyway :confused:

Read lyrics in the wrong way and you got a completely other subject of them

Who's right to judge lyrics? okay some are sounding cheesy, but reading the Katatonialyrics Gorik posted, they aren't cheese at all! It can be true they're made to create a dark mood, but perhaps it's about hard times after all... I'm curious, anyone have contact with them? Don?

me? contact with katatonia? no.
ask without.

"I'm genuinely interested in why people are touched by songs that they dont understand"

hmmm..if someone does'nt understand a song maybe the songwriter is'nt doing his job?? or is being deliberatley abstract or vague? either way if a song can't exist in its own right without needing an explanation, its not much of a song is it??

I don't know the story behind most of my favourite songs but I can understand what they try to express. hell, phil lynott never lived in the wild west but when he sings the opening lines to the cowboy song it does the job for me all the same.

@ Bambi, that' a totally other discussion... I mean the Rhapsodylyrics are about a story, I understand them (really interesting as well) completely, but they are obviously not about hard times (why did the scabs made a song called 'Hard Times', it always pops up in my head when reading this thread :rolleyes: )

Yes, "Riot Act" was a pleasant surprise this year!
Although I did like all of their post "Vs" CDs, they did seem to keep losing steam with each release.

BUT, "Riot Act" is just as strong as the first twi, IMO. The tune "Love Boat Captain" is one of their strongest songs - ever!

Great album!

Fav PJ tunes:
1) Present Tense
2) I Got ID
3) Red Mosquito
4) Love Boat Captian
5) Small Town

Just wanted to say that I agree with Don and Forlorn about the Katatonia/Opeth/MDB/ A. stuff, because I understood what they were both saying, and actually I feel quite the same about those bands ;)
but now the debate is closed I think, and it's better like that :D

I'm pretty sure that Glassbreaker would agree with my point of view...hehehe ! Still awake ? :D