Peavey 3120?

Max Cavalera is endorsing these as well I think. How does it SOUND, most importantly? I imagine that with EL34s, the tone is different than the XXX, probably a bit smoother and more British vibe, could be cool actually IMO.

XXX's are switchable between 6L6's and EL34's. I have EL34's in mine right now.

I played a 3120 at GC on Wednesday. Felt and sounded good to me. I didn't experience the cheap pots like someone mentioned above. The pots seemed really sturdy on the one I played...They were hard to turn, actually, and didn't have any play in them.

Sounded like my XXX.

FWIW, I think people tend to overstate the differences between 6L6's and EL34's in a modern high-gain amp - in my recorded comparison (meaning, no placebo ;)) I found almost no difference between them in my Dual Rec, though perhaps other amps behave differently! (however, since damn near every modern high-gain head gets most of it's distortion and tone from the preamp, I doubt it!)

FWIW, I think people tend to overstate the differences between 6L6's and EL34's in a modern high-gain amp - in my recorded comparison (meaning, no placebo ;)) I found almost no difference between them in my Dual Rec, though perhaps other amps behave differently! (however, since damn near every modern high-gain head gets most of it's distortion and tone from the preamp, I doubt it!)

I've run both EL34 and 6L6 in my Dual Rectifier a number of times and noticed a HUGE difference in the low end and low mids. This could easily be choked up to different tubes from different manufacturers though.

I have played the one at the local GC around here numerous times and like it very much. Super tight, not very fizzy at all, and well just a very good sounding. I actually am probably gonna pick one up I liked it that much.

I've run both EL34 and 6L6 in my Dual Rectifier a number of times and noticed a HUGE difference in the low end and low mids. This could easily be choked up to different tubes from different manufacturers though.

Same here...I swapped the stock Mesa tubes for JJ E34L's and the difference is quite noticable, especially with no TS boosting the amp. I much prefer it with the JJ's. Much smoother, less fizz, and tighter.