Peavey JSX & G-Major

AudioPhile777

Mathew Cohen
i've been searching for about a half hour now and haven't found anything detailing how to to this...

I want to be able to assign one button to change not only the g-major preset but a pre-specified channel on my amp at the same time... so I can go from a clean with a reverb (effects loop on) to an overdriven channel with no effects... and back should i so choose...

does anyone have a setup like this? this should be possible, right?

oh, and can anyone recommend an inexpensive (within reason) foot controller that has a bunch of buttons on it but no expression pedals to do this?

Yeah, the FJA cable was what I was gonna recommend, and as for a good MIDI foot controller, check out the Rocktron MIDI mate

You don't need a custom cable for the standard 5150/6505 because it's just a 1/4" jack, whereas the 5150II/6505+ have a multi-pin connection

You don't need a custom cable for the standard 5150/6505 because it's just a 1/4" jack, whereas the 5150II/6505+ have a multi-pin connection

Sweet, I didn't realise that, I was wondering what the fuck was so special about these cables :lol:

Oh, and I like the look of the Roland GFC50 or the Tech 21 MIDI Moose. Super simple.

yeah if you have an amp that just has a normal 1/4" input connection, then any guitar cable will work with a g major

the jsx has a different kinda footswitch connection that looks like a miniature midi cable tho, similar to what the large mesa footswitches use now

btw, they don't make them new anymore but these footswitches are great:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-FC100-FC-100-midi-foot-controller-EV5-input_W0QQitemZ120314762506

that's a roland fc100, i've got the smaller version which is the fc50...they also had two identical models back in the day that had the boss name rather than roland

okay so i have been looking for more effects. i havent come across the g major before but i like the look and i have some questions. i have 6505.

with this rack unit i can change from rhythm to lead channel on 6505 and program a setting so change this? what i nmean is that one button can change me from clean with reverb, delay chorus to high gain with perhaps a small bit of reverb and delay and a higher threshhold on in noise gate? if this is true then it is inbredicle!

also i have been looking at pod xt live and 4 cable method. is 4 xcable method better for me than tc g major plus midi board?

Ok, I might be being stupid here lol, but the G-Major is acting as the Midi Interface right? And has the ability to know how to switch amp channels? I couldn't use my ancient Intellifex/Midi Mate setup and one of these cables to switch the channels on my TripleXXX could I?

with this rack unit i can change from rhythm to lead channel on 6505 and program a setting so change this? what i nmean is that one button can change me from clean with reverb, delay chorus to high gain with perhaps a small bit of reverb and delay and a higher threshhold on in noise gate? if this is true then it is inbredicle!

Yep!

also i have been looking at pod xt live and 4 cable method. is 4 xcable method better for me than tc g major plus midi board?

Depends, really, on which you think would be easier. Also, I don't think the XT Live can do the 4-cable method, I think that's the boss GT series (GT 8, GT 10, etc.), but I could be wrong about that.

Ok, I might be being stupid here lol, but the G-Major is acting as the Midi Interface right? And has the ability to know how to switch amp channels? I couldn't use my ancient Intellifex/Midi Mate setup and one of these cables to switch the channels on my TripleXXX could I?

the G-major has a standard 1/4" footswitch jack, in addition to the midi interface...when using it to switch any non-midi amp (like the jsx, xxx, or 6505/6505+) it's that 1/4" jack that's being used

having that cable lets you go from the G major's 1/4" jack to the 7 pin footswitch jack on the jsx or xxx, so unless your intellifex has a 1/4" footswitch out then you couldn't use it the way you're talking about...now i know there are a few companies who offer a means of using a midi interface with amps like you have, but i'm not very familiar with how to go about that

okay so i have been looking for more effects. i havent come across the g major before but i like the look and i have some questions. i have 6505.

with a 6505 the answer is yes, the G major will let you switch from one set of FX on the rhythm channel to another set of FX on the lead channel, with just a single stomp

as for how it would work in comparison to the pod xtl, that's really a matter of opinion...tho i don't know if the pod xtl has the 1/4" relay switch to switch up the channels on your 6505

...and a bit off topic here, but i wish more companies would offer amp heads with a midi interface...that was a big selling point of the framus cobra for me, and it makes life onstage so much easier

Ok, I see that now. I know we're going OT here, but does anyone know of an fx unit like the G-Major that would let me switch channels on my Triple XXX, but also have the option to switch my TS-9 off when going to a clean channel?

Hmm, no, now I think you're getting into Voodoo lab territory; honestly, I love what my TS does do my tone for recording, but it's subtle enough that I can totally see myself living without it in a live environment (especially given the hassle it would be to have it only be in the signal chain for distortion).

Edit: Actually, this would probably work, though I haven't read its description in detail, so I'm not sure if it can function as a MIDI controller as well

cobhc, while that sounds like it should be a pretty simple task...doing that would require getting into the higher end midi territory, there are systems like that available you're looking at at least $350 USD for something like that; given those systems are made for switching more than just a single OD pedal

you'd need something like the GCX audio switch from voodoo labs or the grx4 from axxess

Yeah, I'm probably better off just rolling off the volume pot for clean stuff.

Looks like I might start selling some rack gear and pick up a G-Major and that Behringer midi board instead of my Midi Mate (I want the expression pedals :)).

This is incredible. I've been looking at delay and modulation units for a while, and also been meaning to pick up a tuner. I never really looked into rackmount stuff, but I'm so glad this thread came up!

Down to bare bones now, does it actually sound good?!

Sorry for the massive hijack, Audiophile, but you hopefully got the solution to your question anyways :)

if you don't need everything that comes with the G major, the G sharp is also worth a look

i'm not big into rack stuff myself, personally i use a boss gt6 with my cobra...but i also have it bypassed pretty much all the time, i run all my high gain sounds dry i just like a little chorus on my cleans along with the built in volume pedal & tuner