Peavey Valveking

kaomao said:
hey guys my old rack poweramp had a 12ax7 valve on it and four EL34.
12ax7 was used as driver, don't ask me what's a driver in the poweramp though...
On modern ("class A/B" or better "push and pull"?!?) poweramps there is one preamp tube (two triodes) need as a phase inverter...
to describe in a bad way... there are alway 2 (or 4 or 6) tubes in a poweramp one is "pushing" and one is "pulling" the signal...
so one of both needs to get the inverted signal as input... ah better read this in a tube amp book ... I can't describe very well ;)

cobhc said:
Lol! Not more about this amp, like I said before, it sounded fuzzy and not very tight, now whether this was a tube issue I don't know. But the Triple XXX combo I tried, kicked it's ass in a lot of ways.

Have you tried head version? or combo version?

just to clear up 5881 are "compatible" to the 6L6GC - both are power tubes
12AX7 "=" ECC83 "=" 7025 are preamp tubes!
12AU7 = ECC82 etc...

My brother has a Blue Voodoo. If tweaked enough you can get a good high-gain tone out of it. But is sounds sooo much better with a moderate gain setting. Total rock/blues amp, not well suited for high-gain.

Went with my guitarrist to try out the combo version. Sounds terrible. This week he´ll try the head, connected to a mesa boogie 4 x 12" cab. Let´s see what happens.

We've got the head in our store and running through any decent cab it's a great all round tube head. The thing most people don't seem to get with the Valveking's is the damping section which has the presence and ressonance controls on it. Set properly the VK100 can sound amazing, everyone I plug into one is blown away by how good it sounds. With a TS-9 in front it gets even better.

I challenge anyone to come into our store and try out the VK's and not love them. The price could be twice as much and I would still sing their praises.

Hey Cobra, if I remeber correctly you have changed the power tubes of your valveking. Which model of 6l6gc have you put in replacement of the stock tubes? Have you recorded something using your splawn 2x12 with valveking?

i replaced the stock tubes, with some JJ6l6's

also in that blues clip, what you hear is after i swapped the stock speaker out for an eminence governer (another huge improvement) i was also using some thd yellowjackets which allowed my to run el84's in the amp for that clip

the amp is fixed bias, so there's nothing to adjust

the JJ's made the amp sound more balanced, the low end was more clear/less flubby, and the high end was warmer/not as harsh