Peavey Windsor, bad tubes, attention amp gurus

Power tubes with constant use should be changed every year and a half to two years and preamp tubes 2 years to 3 years.

Cheers man, They last a good length of time so. If they arent under constant use is it necessary to still replace them, surely older tubes would lose their sound?

Power tubes with constant use should be changed every year and a half to two years and preamp tubes 2 years to 3 years.

That seems quite paranoiac to me. Change them when they need changing; not as a matter of course. Otherwise you're gonna spend lots of money, pointlessly.

My 2p

Cheers guys for that, It's always interesting to get some different opinions too on these things. My amp should be ok for a good bit so as I only bought it a year ago and it's not under constant use, but I am surprised that there could be trouble with the tubes in a Windsor so fast.

Ok. I changed the preamp tubes one by one to ones that should be ok, and it's still the same fucking problem. I also tapped the power tubes with a pencil just to check they aren't microphonic, and nothing. So it isn't the preamp tubes, which would have been a bit too easy for me. Fuck this.

It seems to be the same problem my 5150 once had...but yours is in warranty time so, try to send it back to thomann ( or wherever you purchased it from)
My 5150 ended up blowing after 6 months of that crackling noise, not sure if it was for the same reasons, I changed power tubes on mine several times before blowing up.
When it blew, the tech told me he had to resolder some connections between pcb's (5150's have several pcb's) and change some fried capacitors.

Hope it's not the same thing ;)

It seems to be the same problem my 5150 once had...but yours is in warranty time so, try to send it back to thomann ( or wherever you purchased it from)
My 5150 ended up blowing after 6 months of that crackling noise, not sure if it was for the same reasons, I changed power tubes on mine several times before blowing up.
When it blew, the tech told me he had to resolder some connections between pcb's (5150's have several pcb's) and change some fried capacitors.

Hope it's not the same thing ;)

I think I'll have to send it back anyway, I'm not gonna get new power tubes just to check if it's them :/

Now I'd just like to know if it's safe to pull out the outer tubes. I read I'll have to half the impedance on the head from 8Ohm to 4Ohm if I do, correct? I wouldn't have a problem running it at 50W.

I think I'll have to send it back anyway, I'm not gonna get new power tubes just to check if it's them :/

Now I'd just like to know if it's safe to pull out the outer tubes. I read I'll have to half the impedance on the head from 8Ohm to 4Ohm if I do, correct? I wouldn't have a problem running it at 50W.
Yep, I think it's half the impedance. I had my 5150 at half power ( after the mod) and had it that way ( 8 ohmns on amp, 4 ohms on cabinet)
I think it'll sound a little bit more raw and in your face that way ( most marshall sounding amps sound better pushed IMO)

I wish the Windsor used 6l6's. I would have sent you the quartet I just took out of my Mesa for free.

Damn, that's cool of you! :)

I just called Thomann and they're picking the head up. They're gonna TRY to repair it (it actually took me some convincing to make them agree, they just wanted to pay me back the 219e), and it's gonna take at least five weeks. The woman I talked to didn't really convince me. First she said they're changing it to a new one. Then I told her they don't have it in stock. Then she said they'll order some more. Then I said it's discontinued. After a moment of silence she just said "Uh, I guess we've got a problem, then." Fuck.

Wait, exactly why can't they just mail you a new quartet of power tubes? (or pick it up and drop in said new quartet?)

Wait, exactly why can't they just mail you a new quartet of power tubes? (or pick it up and drop in said new quartet?)

'cause I can't say for sure if it's the power tubes. I decided to bite the bullet, though, and I'm pulling off tubes as we speak. I already tried removing the two outer tubes, but that didn't help. I'm letting it cool down and trying the other two tubes. If that doesn't solve it either, I'll just have to admit they sold me a dysfunctional piece of crap, return it and wait a month or two to see if they can even fix it.

If it is a broken tube, though, I'll definitely just call them again and ask for a new set of tubes.