Peavey Windsor, bad tubes, attention amp gurus

So, here's the deal. I just got my Windsor head from Thomann today, and when I turned it on, there's a constant crackling/popping sound that's independent from the pre/post volume controls. Sound still comes through. Now that I fired it up the second time, the volume also staggers up and down. Seems like bad tubes, right? The power tubes glow red and nice, and they weren't loose on the sockets.

Now, can I just pull out the outermost power tubes to check if it's a bad power tube? Does it need rebiasing after that? Can I switch the outermost power tubes with the innermost ones, if it doesn't help? And furthermore, does anyone have any experience with Thomann in such cases? Haven't got any money left, let alone enough to get a whole new set of tubes :/

I'm majorly pissed off right now, so any help is greatly appreciated!

seriously. im havin problems with my 20 watt peavy max 110 bass amp. im savin up. im prolly gonna buy krank or line 6 stack

seriously. im havin problems with my 20 watt peavy max 110 bass amp. im savin up. im prolly gonna buy krank or line 6 stack

picard-facepalm.jpg

You're obviously new here...

AFAIK, you have other amps, correct?

If so:

Windsor Effects Send->Effects return of other amp.
Other amp Effects Send->Effect Return of Windsor.

Make sure a cabinet or load is connected to both the Windsor and the other amp.

Keep the master volume on the Windsor OFF. Keep the volume on the other amp low. Turn the preamp on the Windsor up, playing through the other amp's power amp. If you don't hear the noises, the issue is the Windsor's power amp.

Switch it up and then do it the other way to see if it's the Windsor's preamp is the issue.

You could also record the effects send of the Winsor direct into your computer's audio interface and use an Amp Simulator power amp/cabinet and see if the noise exists.

Hope this helps, that way you don't have to go pulling tubes all over the place.

Also, the Jokes are lame. The Windsor is a great amp when boosted, especially if you know how to dial it in. I wouldn't trade my Windsor for a Krank.

im not sayin windsors are bad im just sayin id prefer fer the bite of a krank. kick ass distortion.

If you can't find the fault Jarkko, just pack the shit back into whatever it came from and ship it back to Thomann. Contact them first though and describe the problem and they will send you like a free "ticket" for DHL or whatever delivery company they deal with in Finland. If the amp isn't working right when you get it, Thomann will take their responsibility and deal with it for no extra cost for you. I've done this before with a bad MIDI keyboard from Thomann and it went smoothly. Thomann kicks ass at this, seriously. They really do care about their customers which is kind of rare these days =) You will either get your money back or they will send you a new head.

So, here's the deal. I just got my Windsor head from Thomann today, and when I turned it on, there's a constant crackling/popping sound that's independent from the pre/post volume controls. Sound still comes through. Now that I fired it up the second time, the volume also staggers up and down. Seems like bad tubes, right? The power tubes glow red and nice, and they weren't loose on the sockets.

Now, can I just pull out the outermost power tubes to check if it's a bad power tube? Does it need rebiasing after that? Can I switch the outermost power tubes with the innermost ones, if it doesn't help? And furthermore, does anyone have any experience with Thomann in such cases? Haven't got any money left, let alone enough to get a whole new set of tubes :/

I'm majorly pissed off right now, so any help is greatly appreciated!

I'd just send it back to Thomann, it's real easy. Just contact them, and they'll send an UPS guy to your door, who'll pick it up. Then just wait until they fix it and have it shipped back to you. And yeah, it's all free too.

I did it when I had issues with my Pod X3 Live turning some settings on automatically for some reason. Worked great and was pretty quick too IIRC.

AFAIK, you have other amps, correct?

If so:

Windsor Effects Send->Effects return of other amp.
Other amp Effects Send->Effect Return of Windsor.

Make sure a cabinet or load is connected to both the Windsor and the other amp.

Keep the master volume on the Windsor OFF. Keep the volume on the other amp low. Turn the preamp on the Windsor up, playing through the other amp's power amp. If you don't hear the noises, the issue is the Windsor's power amp.

Switch it up and then do it the other way to see if it's the Windsor's preamp is the issue.

You could also record the effects send of the Winsor direct into your computer's audio interface and use an Amp Simulator power amp/cabinet and see if the noise exists.

Hope this helps, that way you don't have to go pulling tubes all over the place.

Unfortunately I ditched all other guitar gear except the Peavey Rockmaster preamp when I moved :/ I guess I could try it by recording the Windsor's FX send straight to the interface, and by connecting the Rockmaster to the Windsor's FX return, but I'm neurotic about plugging any of my other gear into an amp that sounds like it's gonna go off with a loud bang any moment :lol:

Yeah, but first I have to find out which of the tubes are bad, if it isn't the amp itself :/

Yeah i hear that bro, but you can always just pack it back up and ship it out. i know we have had problems with peavey before to were we send them an amp with a problem they fix it the amp comes back with the same exact problem. but good luck on getting it figured out. that is a killer amp for the price.

Yeah, but first I have to find out which of the tubes are bad, if it isn't the amp itself :/

Yeah i hear that bro, but you can always just pack it back up and ship it out. i know we have had problems with peavey before to were we send them an amp with a problem they fix it the amp comes back with the same exact problem. but good luck on getting it figured out. that is a killer amp for the price.

I just checked Peavey's policy, and I'd have to pay the initial shipping, which they would pay back if they agree the amp is faulty. And I'm absolutely. completely broke now :lol: