Peavey Windsor, bad tubes, attention amp gurus

I sure hope I don't have this problem. This thread scares me (and makes me feel bad for you). I haven't had a chance to try mine yet.

I think it got offended when I told my friend in the car on theway back home from the post office, that "Don't be so excited, it's probably fucking broken" :D

The last pair of power tubes are warming up, fingers crossed.

THE MOTHERFUCKER WORKS!

The last combination of power tubes and it works, haha :D God damn I feel good now. Hope it won't blow up, I've got two tubes in the middle sockets and the impedance switch set to 4ohm when the cab is 8ohm. Thanks a lot for all the replies again, they're much appreciated! :)

All right man, congrats!! Now save up for 2 new tubes and you're completely back in business!!

Oh, btw: do you like the sound of your new baby??

Oh for heaven's sake. I was happily playing for about 20 minutes when a new, different hissing/crackling sound appeared. It goes away when I lower the preamp gain to about half way down. Bad preamp tubes this time?

Jesus, this thing seems to give me more grief than any piece of equipment before.

Well, the amp IS noisy in my experience.... and it's loud as well, I don't dare to turn the master volume past 4... or else the cops show up at my place, LOL!
My guess would be the preamp, as the hissing is affected when you change something in the preamp settings... don't you have any spare preamp tubes to see if they make any difference?

Well, the amp IS noisy in my experience.... and it's loud as well, I don't dare to turn the master volume past 4... or else the cops show up at my place, LOL!
My guess would be the preamp, as the hissing is affected when you change something in the preamp settings... don't you have any spare preamp tubes to see if they make any difference?

Yeah, gladly I got some spare EH tubes, the same that came with the amp. But the strange thing is, I turned it off, had a cup coffee and tried again, and now I've been playing half an hour with no hiss :| And yeah, it is pretty noisy on it's own, but the noise I got was considerably louder. This head seems to be a strange little chap.

well I've some trouble with it as well... sounded like there was sort of a gate on it? Now the problem is gone, but only after I connected the cab mono instead of stereo... that can't be the real reason for the problem... but hey, it works now, so I'm not complaining!

Did you check if there aren't any loose tubes in their socket? Maybe that could be the cause, but I guess you checked that already... good luck any way!

well I've some trouble with it as well... sounded like there was sort of a gate on it? Now the problem is gone, but only after I connected the cab mono instead of stereo... that can't be the real reason for the problem... but hey, it works now, so I'm not complaining!

Did you check if there aren't any loose tubes in their socket? Maybe that could be the cause, but I guess you checked that already... good luck any way!

Yeah, there's the gate ffect, but it's not all that obvious so it doesn't bother me. The hissing seems to appear pretty randomly and go away, so I'm guessing it's indeed a bad or loose preamp tube, I just e-mailed Thomann telling them they don't have to pick up the amp to be fixed, but that I would greatly appreciate if they could compensate for the broken tubes. Either way, I'm gonna completely retube the head when I've got the money and just hope it won't blow up before that :)

The intermittent problems sounds like there could be some bad solder joints on your amp. When I first opened my Windsor, it looked like it was soldered by monkeys. Had to resolder almost everything, especially the preamp tube sockets.

You could also clean and tighten the pin holders on the tube sockets if you haven't done that already.