Peavey Windsor Opinions?

Robert W

May 13, 2009
I was wondering how the Peavey Windsor combos fare tone-wise to the 100W head version. I'm trying to do a JCM800 tone on a budget and these seem to be the closet approximations at the lowest price points.

I am a fan. Had one for a while, tinkered with it, but sold it to a band mate for about the same as I bought it. Would like to have another one.

If you use the SNEAP SEARCH (google it) you will find the Windsor discussed a whole lot here a few years ago when they were blowing them out for like $200 brand new. There's a chance some people's audio clips may still be hosted and working.

Windsor through cab emulation via Revalver:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.

I'm really leaning towards the Windsor atm, but was also wondering about the Valveking. Which would you say has a more "Marshall-y" sounding tone?

the windsor is a cool sounding amp, ive never owned one but ive played it in person a couple times. Daunt from this forum did a recording of one some years back that was pretty amazing, so its definitely possible to achieve a great recorded tone from. If you google on them long enough you will find horror stories about the occasional person who got a lemon. I think for $200 its pretty hard to beat and low risk.

The valveking sounds ok but not marshall-like to me, and the amp feels a bit stiff.

If you wanted to consider other options that are actually marshall there is the marshall 3203 which goes for around $400 all day and has a tube power amp and can get in 800 territory with the right dirt box, it is well regarded by most who have tried it. Or you could get a first run valvelstate, people love em or hate em but if you want high gain with that marshall voicing on the cheap it might be right up your alley. I think most marshall products Ive tried have a common voicing. In general it seemed like most folks with Windsors modded them up or at the very least replaced the factory tubes so you should consider that into what you spending as well.

I've heard people run it through a few different kinds of cabinets to get darker metal sounds than the vids posted and is pretty solid choice for straight up JCM tones. I was thinking about getting one and just use some cheap cabinet & replace the speakers with scumbacks or something.

Thanks for the responses and links.

I was thinking about a Sovtek, but prices on those have shot beyond my current price cap. I was also thinking about a Peavey VTM60, but haven't seen one for sale in a while.

About the tubes, what recommendations can posters hear make for good replacements?