I tried out different boosts.

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
First one is just the amp, then TS9, then DS1, then TS9+DS1. I played them thru Peavey Windsor (Marshall JCM800 clone) at very low volume (output volume is barely open, not even hitting 1) going to 2x12" with Vintage 30 elements captured with SM57.

Settings on TS9: drive 7:00, level 5:00, tone 3:00
Settings on DS1: drive 2:30, level 9:00, tone:9:30
Settings on Windsor: Preamp gain 12:00, bass 12:30, mids 11:00, treble 3:00, master level 7:05, Resonance 7:00, Presence 2:30, Texture 7:00, no boost button

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/boost_test.mp3

Which one do you like the best?

PS: Relatively the TS9 vs DS1 isn't super fair comparison as DS1 is a lot quieter, but it still gives you a nice different tone, so with just those two pedals you basically have a "4 channel amp" (clean, rhythm, lead, solo) from a one channel amp like Peavey Windsor that I'm using in the clip. I would personally use the DS1 for more like a verse tone, then the TS9 for leads or chorus tone, and TS9+DS1 for stuff like solos, since the TS9 is boosting the DS1 so much that the tone almost suffers at high volumes like you hear in the clip, but gives you the sustain a lead or a solo needs.

Thanks for doing this, always nice to have some direct comparisons :)

In this example, I heavily favored the TS9 over the DS1. The TS9 has a nice screaming edge that I dig. The DS1 sounds a bit too wooly/muddy to me here. At least for straight up in your face metal, it wouldn't be a tone I would pick. I wonder if this is due to the tone settings though; any reason why the settings on those 2 were so different for this comparison?

Cool! This makes it a bit easier to compare the pedals by their character.

Still going to vote for the ts9 100% though; The DS1 doesn't seem to be for me. The two together does sound pretty raunchy though! Like you said, could be cool for dirty solos.

Thanks again for the comparison :)

yeah, TS9 is much more useful as a boost than the DS1. I actually use both of these pedals in my own setup: I have my amp (JMP2203) set on a crunchy overdrive (gain around 6), TS9 in front which is on most of the time for my main rhythm sound, DS1 for more single string riffing, both in for leads, noting in for some rock n' roll crunch, roll down the volume for clean. That's how I get 5 channels out of a 1 channel amp:)