Peavy 6506 vs. Triple XXX Sound Clips (MP3)

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
http://home.online.no/~mstra/preprods/6505_triplexxx_loose_mid_tight.mp3

Dialed the 6505 and TripleXXX so they would sound as same as similar as possible. All clips where done using reamping. Only filter eq was done. I also recorded the TripleXXX with all dampening settings. Chain was EMG -> TS9 -> AMP -> Marshall V30 -> SM57 -> API -> AD
The order is 6505, TripleXXX loose, TripleXXX, mid, tripleXXX tight. But the amps are not -that- different are they? I My impression of the TripleXXX is like a 6505 with bigger bottom and fuller mids.

I like the TripleXXX with the "loose" dampening setting the most. What about you guyes?

Cool raw clips, dude. Can hear that API bringing the clarity to the table. It seems the looser Triple X settings are closer to the 6505 tone. They don't sound very different to each other at all on your clip.

What settings did you use on the Triple XXX and the TS-9?

td9: drive minimum, tone and level 12 o clock.
triplexxxs: high and gain 10 o clock, mid 9 o clock, bass 12 o clock.

Anyone compared the triplexxx to the 3120?

Well - I've never played either and I'm listening via headphones so take this with a grain of salt.

I like the 6505 the best - something about the held chord at the end just seems more growly and evil.

As you increased the tightness on the XXX the harmonics became a lot more pronounced which didn't sound bad, just different from what I liked about the 6505 clip. (Going back and listening again, the harmonics are clear on the 6505 but the emphasis is just on a lower frequency, sounds less klanky to me)

Also I'm assuming you gain and volume matched each of the Triple XXX clips because at least on my Triple XXX is there a noticable drop in both gain and overall output volume as you move the slider from Loose, to Mid, to Tight.

Also I'm assuming you gain and volume matched each of the Triple XXX clips because at least on my Triple XXX is there a noticable drop in both gain and overall output volume as you move the slider from Loose, to Mid, to Tight.

I'm curious about that too. That and what volumes you used. I've been cranking the master volume and lowering the channel volume as many have recommended. I haven't been able to get that grind though. Are you using stock tubes?

This is helping suppress my urge to drop cash on a 5150 that I don't really need.

I'm curious about that too. That and what volumes you used. I've been cranking the master volume and lowering the channel volume as many have recommended. I haven't been able to get that grind though. Are you using stock tubes?

This is helping suppress my urge to drop cash on a 5150 that I don't really need.

Yes, I adjusted the MASTER pot on the TripleXXX so that the LED on the mic preamp would reach the same value for each dampening setting....but I did not adjust the gain setting.
Tubes are sovtek, don't know if they are stock.

Do you think the "grind" is so much different from the 6505 sample?

Oh, and it's REALLY stupid this amp don't have number markers on the pots...it's a bitch to get the HAIR parameter right....once you have that it would be nice to remember where it is without using a marker pen. It's just as stupid as with a Recto. I bet this amp is Peaveys
TripleRec copy as it looks kinda the same and has very agressive tone controlls, just like the Recto.

I know the 3120 has number markers, though.... so now it's a Marshall copy shiped with EL-34 instead? ...haha.

They sound quite similar. You can definitely hear that API sound. Comparing this clip to Lasse and Oz's raw clips (both using API, 3214 and 512) they have the same "character". Seriously GAS'ing for some API brutalness. So tight, crisp and aggressive, oh yeah. I now think the mic pre used makes more difference than the actual amp head used to the final guitar tone.

That API sound will soon be mine, muhahahaha.