Per Wilberg????

JoeVice

Jul 6, 2003
Murdock, NE
Visit site
i think some one already did a thread on this...but do you guys think that per should be a permanent member of the band? i mean damn, thats another layer in their already thick music....thats a whole extra demension. i personally think that would be sweet. your thoughts?

I think he has a nice voice...and his piano/synth parts added to the music, but don't think he should be a permanent member.

I think he played it fine, and I also think that his singing is fine. Well, I didn't think that he would be on this american tour, but he is, so that is kind of weird, because they're playing mostly heavy stuff, but I think this might lead to him becoming much closer to the band, if not a new member, because after they have toured with keys and backing vocals, Im sure they will find it very hard to go back, hearing the songs without Per. Or maybe Mike will decide against it, and simply leave out all keys in the next album, so that it can be performed live as a quartet.

I hope they do decide to leave out all the keys on the next album, or at least enough of them that they don't feel compelled to play live with a keyboardist. I love keyboards in some metal (Moontower, Crimson II, etc) but somehow it doesn't seem right for Opeth. Who knows... I could be wrong.

Well, I wouldn't mind I guess....

Taking the fact that Mikael wanted the next album to be "bordering to Black Metal" I presume they will use some keys right???

Maybe Alicia Keys....at least it will LOOK fine!!!! :loco:

I hate his voice... it sucks
No freakin' way. In the video on guitar.com Mikael didn't like the idea of adding a keyboardist to a band he said that getting better on guitar was better

for touring purposes, it is great...what would the damnation songs be without keys? what other songs has per been playing on for this tour? i would think that a keyboard would be a useful replacement for the ebow sound that is not used live. i.e. bwp

Nah noway he´s gonna be a new member! Opeth doesn´t do keys that much and even if they do it on the next album who says they gonna play ´em live. It´s only damnation where keys are crucial since it´s such a big part of the songs.

indian_metalhead said:
i asked mikael, he said maybe and smiled...i think we know the answer.
That seems like a yes to me. I think it could sound good, if it remained more subtle and mostly just added texture when used on heavy parts. I'd be totally with him getting solos during softer moments and stuff. He'd also have to make sure to know when not to play, but yeah it could be cool...

Subtle my ass. You can't have a bordering black metal album without bombastic keyboard parts. Although, subtle like the keyboard part in The Loss And Curse Of Reverence is very iiiiiivil and tr00.
I dunno, I just take it as it comes. Could be good if he joined the band. Could possibly take their music to a new level at least, if they really incorporate his parts to the music when/if he becomes a band member. Having him just play on the background will do no good then.

KielbasaSausage said:
he played the "3rd guitar" parts for songs like the moor and april etheral on his keyboards when i saw em a couple days ago. He rocked.
hey that's pretty cool. I could totally see him doing the 'ebow' guitar line at the start of The Moor, since Mikael is too lazy to drag one to gigs... not like they play The Moor live anyway, but you get the point.

TheFourthHorseman said:
Subtle my ass. You can't have a bordering black metal album without bombastic keyboard parts.

Does your knowledge of BM not extend farther than Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir and Emperor?