Perfect guitarists???

Audio Warp and Time Warp are editing tools. You track, then you edit manually using one of these tools. To keep it simple, you can't really track "trough" an editing tool, as editing is generally AFTER tracking. The tracking term only designates the process of pressing "record" and capturing your audio source. That's pretty much it.

Audio Warp and Time Warp are editing tools. You track, then you edit manually using one of these tools. To keep it simple, you can't really track "trough" an editing tool, as editing is generally AFTER tracking. The tracking term only designates the process of pressing "record" and capturing your audio source. That's pretty much it.

In Cubase I use audio warp but it's not too much precise....you think think i have to do it more accurately???

Track in very small sections until the guitarist gets it tight enough. If need be, play every chord/note and then slide it on the grid if they can't play their parts. I don't recommend slip editing guitars because you end up with a lot of artifacts. Elastic Audio is pretty useful though to tighten up a solid performance with just some minor timing mistakes if you're lucky enough to get a guitarist that good. Also, make sure to tune every chord/note. Whenever there's a chord change I always stop, tune the next chord, and punch in.

Why don't you just play it well in the first place?

Cuz it's hard to find a guitarist who can play perfectly a track...I'm able to do it for the tracks of my band...but i think it's a God' miracle when another band guitarist comes to me and plays perfectly note for note the tracks.

I have a band recording with me now, and we recorded their first song. They have a breakdown at 220bpm and I tried telling them, it's going to be very difficult to get the chugs perfectly aligned. They refused to decrease the tempo so now I have to pull out the rest of the hair left in my head. Jeesh!

Thanks guys. These are methods I normally do. I always record riff by riff. I just think it's usually the case the guitarist isnt consistent. I get some who are and some who aren't. But I've been more pushy about getting them to be on time, so the end result is way better. And I never do a mix without quantizing, who wants to hear one chug longer than another? Eww haha.

Musicians who aren't engineers feel like they can do your job better than you. Because of this most of the guitarists and drummers you work with with bitch and moan about doing a million takes.
The best way I find to deal with this is by telling them these things:
1. "if you want it to sound bad, I can leave it. Fine by me. Just don't put my name on it."
2. "think of it as practicing. By the time you're done, you'll be better at playing your song"
3. "get out."
4. "that was good, but you're better than that"
5. "try it again, but this time play it like you own a pair"

I can add many more.
But the idea is that you want them to trust that what you do is for their benefit while at the same time making them feel comfortable with recording you by saying that their takes aren't going to cut it in a way that will keep them entertained.

Why don't you just play it well in the first place?

This totally under-means what this thread is about. :bah: Most bands that come through are sloppy. And when I keep telling them to do it over and over, and track this small section, they get antsy and bitchy. It's hard to get them to do it perfect. So I just edit it, or track some parts myself when they're gone.

Musicians who aren't engineers feel like they can do your job better than you. Because of this most of the guitarists and drummers you work with with bitch and moan about doing a million takes.
The best way I find to deal with this is by telling them these things:
1. "if you want it to sound bad, I can leave it. Fine by me. Just don't put my name on it."
2. "think of it as practicing. By the time you're done, you'll be better at playing your song"
3. "get out."
4. "that was good, but you're better than that"
5. "try it again, but this time play it like you own a pair"

I can add many more.
But the idea is that you want them to trust that what you do is for their benefit while at the same time making them feel comfortable with recording you by saying that their takes aren't going to cut it in a way that will keep them entertained.

This is so awesome dude. 3 is one option I would use if it didn't ruin my reputation.

This totally under-means what this thread is about.

Wrong. Get a take, comp, get a take, comp, get a take, comp. What I mean is have it sound right initially; don't bother with time warp and stretching and recording at half speeds. If a guitarist moans about it, ignore them.

And copy and paste are your friend.

Wrong. Get a take, comp, get a take, comp, get a take, comp. What I mean is have it sound right initially; don't bother with time warp and stretching and recording at half speeds. If a guitarist moans about it, ignore them.

And copy and paste are your friend.

Yeah thats what I do. I dont use time warp and stretching. I just get them to do a good enough take, and then I quantize them the best I can. If it sounds shitty, I make them do it again. I get you bro.

Yeah thats what I do. I dont use time warp and stretching. I just get them to do a good enough take, and then I quantize them the best I can. If it sounds shitty, I make them do it again. I get you bro.

Yea man, it's us that make people sound awesome. Never be afraid to let someone know what you need from them in order for you to do your job :)

Yea man, it's us that make people sound awesome. Never be afraid to let someone know what you need from them in order for you to do your job :)

Yeah exactly man. Thanks for the tips.