perfect odd ball band for a future PP

aztattooedsean

crazed tattooed metalhead
Jan 19, 2002
Chandler,arizona
www.facebook.com
Alarum- find mp3's at http://www.willowtip.com Imagine alittle of Death, Into eternity, dream theater, throw in some jazz and this is a cool cd!!

Progressive [font="Times]death/thrash/jazz infused metal band Alarum have joined the Willowtip roster. Back in the early 90's, which were undoubtedly the glory days of death metal, there were bands like Cynic, Atheist, and Pestilence that were far ahead of their time playing a style of jazzy progressive death metal that set the standard for the genre. Years have past and still these bands are considered to be the tops in the genre and few bands have ever come close to recording albums as great as the pioneers, UNTIL NOW. Eventuality is quite simply as good as progressive jazz infused death metal can get, and will prove to be a classic release. This is an album that any fan of forward thinking and progressive music cannot pass up. Eventuality will hit stores in North America on November 16, 2004.[/font]

Recently named one of the 50 most wanted bands on the planet by Australian Kerrang:
[font="Times][/font]
[font="Times][/font][font="Times][font="Times]"Eventuality, is an intoxicating mix of constantly shifting riffs and clinical percussion.[font="Times]Guitar synths are used (but not abused) to create an otherworldly effect, which along with acoustic guitars and ambient interludes gives Eventuality that rarest of qualities: [/font][font="Times]Complexity and balance." [/font][/font][/font]

This is probably going to be a totally unpopular response...only fueled by too much alcohol...but...fuck it!

I would love to see an oddball band that isn't hard-core...just purely oddball...

Something like John Sykes (an odd Sykes/Murder/Snake set...or Mike Vescera (an odd Obsession/Loudness/Yngwie/MVP/Grapow set)...or maybe UDO (solo vs. Accept)...god forbid a Kick Axe set with George Christon?...I'm sure speculation is already running wild about Strato and/or Koti...?

Remember when Sebastian Bach made the joke on VH1? "There's one thing that every KISS fan has been waiting for that is a true rarity...A NEW KISS ALBUM!"

Don't get me wrong...not talking about Kiss...but how about Fates Warning / John Arch? Or...god forbid...how about conjuring up some magic and getting Shadow Gallery to perform a set?

How about Crimson Glory? Fifth Angel? Morgana Lefay? Solitude Aeturnus?

Anyway...rumors already abound about Accept and Angel Dust, amongst others...but...if I had to put my 2-cents worth...I'd also look at Manticora, Stygma IV, Masterplan...

Awww...fuck it...getting too carried away...

Who cares? It doesn't matter what bullshit we predict...the end result is going to be more than the average metalhead can handle...and for that...I am truly grateful...

(Thanks, Glenn!)

Rock on!

By the way...never did actually address your post...

Alarum sounds very, very cool...

Check it out...

Rock on!

I think Ensiferum would make a great odd-ball band for next year. They have enough power metal in them to play ProgPower with the glorious folk and viking influences.

I'm not that crazy about Wintersun. I mean, I do think it's good, however, I don't think it's at the level that Ensiferum is at.

All I can do now is hope for a viking raid of ProgPower V ... Thyrfing, Moonsorrow, Asmegin, Ensiferum ... ahh! :)

Son Volt !! Unfortunately they don't exist anymore. Though I have lived in Alabama my whole life, I have never caught on to the Southern Rock thing in general (though I love Blackfoot) but I dig hard rock/metal with some Southern Rock or country/Blues twists to it. Raging Slab would be an example though they are not one of my faves.

Bryant

Blackfoot did kick ass didn't they Bryant? I think Rickey Medlocke is doing the Skynyrd tribute thing now. How they can continue without Allen Collins is amazing to me. I saw Skynyrd in the old Municipal Auditorium in Columbus back in '77 and Collins was definitely the focal point of Skynyrd live.

Anyway, if I could pick an oddball band for PP 2005, it would be someone like Cathedral.

Layla's Dad said:
Blackfoot did kick ass didn't they Bryant? I think Rickey Medlocke is doing the Skynyrd tribute thing now. How they can continue without Allen Collins is amazing to me. I saw Skynyrd in the old Municipal Auditorium in Columbus back in '77 and Collins was definitely the focal point of Skynyrd live.

Anyway, if I could pick an oddball band for PP 2005, it would be someone like Cathedral.

I saw Skynyrd at The Civic Center maybe three years ago with Medlocke on guitar. Nothing against Jonny Van Zant, but I wish Ricky would have sang a few songs. Ricky looked worse for the wear though. His long black locks are now long silver locks, but he was all over the stage headbanging (no shit) and his guitar playing was brilliant.
Not to take anything away from Skynyrd as they are the Southern Rock kings, but I wish I would have been able to catch Blackfoot in their prime. Blackfoot doesn't have the catalog to compete with Skynyrd, but what a great band they were.

Highway song Wooooooooo !!!!!!!

Bryant

I'm in completer agreement with this, Sykes, Vescera, UDO, Crimson Glory, Fifth Angel... great choices!

I would also like to see a virtuoso guitarist like Vinnie Moore, Alex Masi, Tony MacAlpine, Greg Howe or Joey Tafolla at the festival; course you could always get Derek Sherinian to bring a whole stable of players with him - I don't think it could ever happen but imagine Yngwie and John Sykes on the same stage with Derek, wow!!!

Neal

ashaman7122 said:
This is probably going to be a totally unpopular response...only fueled by too much alcohol...but...fuck it!

I would love to see an oddball band that isn't hard-core...just purely oddball...

Something like John Sykes (an odd Sykes/Murder/Snake set...or Mike Vescera (an odd Obsession/Loudness/Yngwie/MVP/Grapow set)...or maybe UDO (solo vs. Accept)...god forbid a Kick Axe set with George Christon?...I'm sure speculation is already running wild about Strato and/or Koti...?

Remember when Sebastian Bach made the joke on VH1? "There's one thing that every KISS fan has been waiting for that is a true rarity...A NEW KISS ALBUM!"

Don't get me wrong...not talking about Kiss...but how about Fates Warning / John Arch? Or...god forbid...how about conjuring up some magic and getting Shadow Gallery to perform a set?

How about Crimson Glory? Fifth Angel? Morgana Lefay? Solitude Aeturnus?

Anyway...rumors already abound about Accept and Angel Dust, amongst others...but...if I had to put my 2-cents worth...I'd also look at Manticora, Stygma IV, Masterplan...

Awww...fuck it...getting too carried away...

Who cares? It doesn't matter what bullshit we predict...the end result is going to be more than the average metalhead can handle...and for that...I am truly grateful...

(Thanks, Glenn!)

Rock on!

MysticX9 said:
I'm in completer agreement with this, Sykes, Vescera, UDO, Crimson Glory, Fifth Angel... great choices!

I would also like to see a virtuoso guitarist like Vinnie Moore, Alex Masi, Tony MacAlpine, Greg Howe or Joey Tafolla at the festival; course you could always get Derek Sherinian to bring a whole stable of players with him - I don't think it could ever happen but imagine Yngwie and John Sykes on the same stage with Derek, wow!!!

Neal
Thanks for the back-up, Neal...you're my hero...makes me feel good...

Just about the time you think you're the only guy in the world listening to "X" band...you realize that there are other fans out there who remember (or at least are still paying attention...)

Rock on!

Definitely, it's nice to have someone else remember the bands you grew up listening to, many were very obscure way back then so hardly anyone seems to know about them now...

Cheers!

Neal

MysticX9 said:

Neal

Is the Vescera good ? I thought Mike was by far the best YM vocalist besides JLT. I would like to hear some of that stuff....... Any recommendations ?

Bryant

Bryant said:
Is the Vescera good ? I thought Mike was by far the best YM vocalist besides JLT. I would like to hear some of that stuff....... Any recommendations ?

Bryant
Hey Bryant...I sent you a PM...check it out!

To answer your question...

Obviously, you're familiar with his Yngwie material, but some of his best performances were with Obsession, Loudness (Soldier Of Fortune & On The Prowl albums), and I really like his performance on Roland Grapow's solo album Kaleidoscope.

Other bands/projects he has participated in include Dr. Sin, Killing Machine, Reign Of Terror, Palace Of Black, MVP (Mike Vescera Project), and Safe Haven.

Hope that sheds some light for all those that might be interested...obviously, I'm a big fanboy (haha).

Rock on!